Question about tires

Since it is known that the tires that Heartland is putting on the Bighorns have problems and do not stand up to travel as they should why can't Heartland just pay the dealer to change out the tires on any Bighorn that one might buy and have the customer pay the difference for whatever tire they desire?

GQ

nhunter

Can you image the cost if the factory would have to pay to switch out tires because someone didn't like the brand when the tires that they use are DOT rated and approved. Doesn't make good business sense to me. Guarantee Ford, Dodge or GM wouldn't do it. I don't know how many tires are bad as a comparision but they say 65% of people are driving with under inflated tires so that may account for some of the problems. Not to say everyones problems are under inflation but I would almost bet some are.

phranc

"Since it is known that the tires that Heartland is putting on the Bighorns have problems and do not stand up to travel as they should"
This is not known to me.. I had the 'dreaded Coopers'' on the last Rv and the BH has Trail America tires.. .Neither trailer had any tire problems..Don't even get hot...I say , try them out and if your uncomfortable ,find a brand that makes you comfortable..

svd

I was concerned about these tires also. In looking at this and another discussion board, the only "Mission" brand failures were related to 15 inch "D" range, that may also have been on the edge for the weight of the trailers they were installed on. I haven't seen anything about unusual failures in the 16 inch "E" range, so I don't see any reason to remove them yet.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
No Mission tire problems here

So I wanted to let you all know that we have not had any problems with our Mission tires. We took delivery of our unit on Sept 28 2005. We had camped locally (about 20 miles one way) for (3) weekends then went to Pigeon Forge for the Thanksgiving weekend. This year we have camped every Thur-Sun (about 20 miles one way) since April 13th and have been to St. Clair Michigan and Elkhart Ind. and a couple of other not-so-local campgrounds. I am happy to say that I have not experienced any problems to date. Although I would prefer a better grade of tire for my rig I will continue to rely on these.

jbeletti

Like Mark, I too have had no tire failures due to tire quality.

I am in the process of replacing the Load Boss tires on my Landmark primarily due to unfortunate road hazards. A nail puncture to one tire (patched) and recently, a sidewall puncture (non-repairable) to another.

Since my spare is another brand and with no tread wear, I made the decision to replace my tires.

Since most of us will require tire replacement at some point due to wear, age or damage, these tire threads here in the Bighorn and in the Landmark forums are great in that it gives us all a lot of research material to consider.

In my case, I needed load range G tires. These are not easy to find just anywhere. Hopefully all this tire talk will benefit others in their time of need.

Like others have suggested, I too hope that at some point, the factory would offer some tire options to new unit purchasers.

Jim

jcd8822

Joseph
At least Heartland is using recently mfg. tires. We used to have a Wild Wood by Forest River. When the unit was made they place tires on it that were already five years old. We found that out after the second blow out which damaged the skirt around the wheel well. That was the month Trailer Life or Highways magazines ran the article about the DOT being stamped on the tire. What a way to learn something.

Joseph