Dometic Fridg thoughts

Bobby A

A couple thoughts come to mind that I would like to share after defrosting the fridg a couple days ago.

1- The fridge is the model RM 3962, what does everyone keep the temp at ?? I have kept mine on setting 4 and the
the digital readout says its 36 degrees. I know this temp will vary depending on climate and outside temps.
Just wondering if I could cut it back to #3 setting and have the digital reading about 40 degrees, is this still safe
for food temps ??

2- While defrosting, I went outside to check the drain hose to make sure it was draining properly and part of
the white drain hose just desenergrated in my hand, very brittle and cracked in pieces. This is a new unit, less than a year
than a year old, on my last coach that was 7 years old and the drain hose never did that, either the drain hose
is defective or Dometic has cheapened up the part, I'm thinking the latter. I called Dometic, thinking like most
of the suppliers, you call and explain the problem and they will ship out another part. Not Dometic !! They had
to give me a # to a local authorized Dometic repair facility and they had to order the part. This is stupid and
terrible customer service !!. I guess I'm use to the good suppliers that will send out a part directly and without
hassle.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My one year old drain line did the exact same thing. It's easily replaced with much more substantial hose from HD or Lowes. I wouldn't put the Dometic line back on - it's way to thin and becomes brittle in no time. It also probably cost a lot more than conventional rubber/plastic tubing you can buy by the foot.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Dometic either. I think the 36 degree temp is better than maintaining 40 degrees. At 40, after opening the door a few times it will rise out of that "safe temp" zone very quickly. At 36 it will be easier to maintain a safer temperature. We keep a thermometer in the fridge just to keep an eye on the temps and we average between 32 to 38 depending on how often we go in & out of the fridge or add food after shopping and leftovers.
As for your drain hose, trim back the UV damaged area and pull more tubing down. Wrap it with aluminum flashing tape. It will not degrade with the tape covering the section exposed to UV.
I have found out several times that Dometic will not ship to consumers. You have to go through an authorized service center.

Bobby A

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Dometic either. I think the 36 degree temp is better than maintaining 40 degrees. At 40, after opening the door a few times it will rise out of that "safe temp" zone very quickly. At 36 it will be easier to maintain a safer temperature. We keep a thermometer in the fridge just to keep an eye on the temps and we average between 32 to 38 depending on how often we go in & out of the fridge or add food after shopping and leftovers.
As for your drain hose, trim back the UV damaged area and pull more tubing down. Wrap it with aluminum flashing tape. It will not degrade with the tape covering the section exposed to UV.
I have found out several times that Dometic will not ship to consumers. You have to go through an authorized service center.

O.k. Thanks Ray, great idea.

ATLJOHN

I agree with Bobby A We took delivery of our BH 3670 3 weeks ago and found in the refer a broker bracket that holds the diviiders on the shelves. I called Domentic to register my refer and asked the lady if I could have them send me the replacement. She told me also to call a authorized repair dealer which the closest is about 1 hour drive. As it would be cheaper just puchase $2.00 plastic bracket she then told me the shipping would be $25.00 plus the part. The worst part was she was not the friendlest customer service person I have dealt with. I guess they think they have enough contracts with RV manufactures they do need any outside sales.
I had the opposite with Maytag where I was missing a rubber bushing for my stove on my rig. The lady not only offered to send the bushing she also is going to send the complete bushing will the screws that is needed as well. What a turn around.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Speaking of refrigerators - I was at the Richmond RV show today and noticed that several manufacturers are putting Norcolds in their RVs. The Norcold is deeper and holds more that the Dometic.

2010augusta

Re: Dometic Service

Being a Dometic customer service agent must be one of the easiest jobs ever. The only thing they ever say is "you must contact your Dometic Authorized Service Center"

I got feed up with that and just order the parts directly from CW or PPL without ever calling Dometic.

Bobby,

We had the cracked drain hose problem with a previous unit. With this unit I wrapped the drain hose with Rescue Tape. The hose is still intact after 20 months of direct Florida sunlight on it. Though this isn't the proper fix, it has worked so far.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Bobby,

We had the cracked drain hose problem with a previous unit. With this unit I wrapped the drain hose with Rescue Tape. The hose is still intact after 20 months of direct Florida sunlight on it. Though this isn't the proper fix, it has worked so far.

Hmm, Rescue Tape. Good idea. I think I will go out and rescue mine right now while I still have some hose left. It's getting shorter and shorter.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey guys...we bought a heavy duty plastic line from Home Depot/Lowes...cut the ribbed hose off up inside the compartment where the sun hadn't gotten to it, and used Rescue Tape to attach the two together. Now we have a nice looking fix that will last a long time without constantly replacing the cheap ribbed hose, which never lasts very long.

Bobby A

Bobby,

MMMMMMMMM What is rescue tape ?? duct tape ??????
???????????

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Rescue tape is not duct tape. Rescue tape is a tape that is about the size of electrical tape but has no adhesive on it. As you stretch it and wrap it around whatever you are taping it bonds to itself and makes a tight secure bond. Website - http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CMbEgLHf9Z8CFVRf2goduhgCXw

Heartland owners Ken and Kathy Adams are dealers for Rescue Tape if you need to order some. It is great stuff and everyone should have some in their car and RV

Bobby A

Rescue tape is not duct tape. Rescue tape is a tape that is about the size of electrical tape but has no adhesive on it. As you stretch it and wrap it around whatever you are taping it bonds to itself and makes a tight secure bond. Website - http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CMbEgLHf9Z8CFVRf2goduhgCXw

Heartland owners Ken and Kathy Adams are dealers for Rescue Tape if you need to order some. It is great stuff and everyone should have some in their car and RV

Thanks for the info, sorry it took so long to reply.