Generator

mo11

Ok, I'm looking into buying a generator for my TT. All I keep hearing is how great the Honda line is quiet and everything. Is there something out there thats comparable to quality but only costs one arm instead of two arms and a leg?

caissiel

Honeywell HW2000i 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator could be a good model at a little over $500

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mo11, look into this one. http://www.boliygenerator.com/ Available most everywhere for $1100.00 I've had ours for about 6 months and while I haven't needed it, I have tested it on the rig. It will run the big a/c unit without a strain. It sat in the back of the truck for the last 2 months and i went to start it a few days ago. 2nd pull. Lightweight & quiet.
On edit, I just went back to the boliy site, They are selling these gennys at $990.00 with free shipping. You have to find your way through the order page to get to the "add to your cart" page. Heck of a deal.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I have found through many hours of discussion and research that the three best (and worth it due to lifespan) are: (In no particular order)

Honda
Yamaha
Robins/Subaru

branson4020

Icantre Member
Ray,

That is a great deal on the Boliy. At about 1/3 the cost and 1/3 the weight of the Onan 3600W lp unit, its making me seriously rethink putting a built-in generator in the Bighorn. Thanks for the link.

PUG

Pug
I have the built in Onan 5500 and have only about 30 hrs on it and it died. Had to take it into Cummins shop and it cost me 300 for a new carb and another 700 for a controller that went out. The warranty will not cover the carb because they die quite often. No foreplay or conclusion in that session.

Northern Virginia
Wow Pug, I would NEVER go back to that Onan dealer. I got my Onan 6500 watt out of a dumpster after it had been sitting outside on a pallet for 2 years with gas in the carburetor. All I did to the carb was take it apart and clean it with an old toothbrush, a sewing needle and some STP carb cleaner. I even reused the old gaskets. Onan generators are the gold standard of RV genenrators. Honda's are the gold standard of the portables. Both are very reliable and will run forever- if you take care of them.

John

caissiel

If the Carb gets gummed up because of no use I would put a some 2-Cycle oil in the gas all the time so it lubricates the passages instead of old gas vaporizing and leaving it dry. I use it all the time on my collectible cars that I take out only in the 2 months of summer when I am home. Never have a problem when restarting, I do the same to all my other small engines home.

houndog-man

I just purchased a 2010 Big Horn 5th wheel, with 2 air conditioners. Im thinking of ordering a 6300 Yamaha generator with an invertor. It's advertised to be light weight (200lbs) and quiet. Does anyone know if this will handle all my needs on this 5th wheel? I intend to mount it in my truck bed instead of my camper, as I have other uses for the generator.

lwmcguir

mo11, look into this one. http://www.boliygenerator.com/ Available most everywhere for $1100.00 I've had ours for about 6 months and while I haven't needed it, I have tested it on the rig. It will run the big a/c unit without a strain. It sat in the back of the truck for the last 2 months and i went to start it a few days ago. 2nd pull. Lightweight & quiet.
On edit, I just went back to the boliy site, They are selling these gennys at $990.00 with free shipping. You have to find your way through the order page to get to the "add to your cart" page. Heck of a deal.

Noticed good reviews on some other sites. Power for pound is the best out there and the price is way down there.

Northern Virginia
I just purchased a 2010 Big Horn 5th wheel, with 2 air conditioners. Im thinking of ordering a 6300 Yamaha generator with an invertor. It's advertised to be light weight (200lbs) and quiet. Does anyone know if this will handle all my needs on this 5th wheel? I intend to mount it in my truck bed instead of my camper, as I have other uses for the generator.

I'm assuming the genset produces 6300 watts. The factory option is 5500 watts. I personally use a 6500 watt. That will run both a/c units with power to spare. Bear in mind, when you are plugged into the pedestal, you are connected to 12,000 watts, so you will always be limited to your usage (meaning you cannot run both a/c units, the microwave, electric water heater, make toast, brew a pot of coffee and blow dry your hair at the same time :)

caissiel

In a 1/4 tank in my cars I just add 1/8 of a quart, but some pour one once per gallons. I would say keep it at about 100/1 minimum.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm assuming the genset produces 6300 watts. The factory option is 5500 watts. I personally use a 6500 watt. That will run both a/c units with power to spare. Bear in mind, when you are plugged into the pedestal, you are connected to 12,000 watts, so you will always be limited to your usage (meaning you cannot run both a/c units, the microwave, electric water heater, make toast, brew a pot of coffee and blow dry your hair at the same time :)

So that's the problem! Honey - quit trying to get dressed and make breakfast at the same time! (OK - I'm just kidding)