Formaldehyde???

amani4779

Purchased a new 2009 Heartland NT trailer yesterday w/ plans to FT for a while (primarily in warmer climates but do end up in cooler - below freezing- temps on occasion). Was handed the owner's manual as I left. Perused the manual this AM... and was startled to read that the RV should not be used for FT bc. of condensation problems and that the construction is w/ urea formaldehyde. Would appreciate input from anyone who's willing to offer it. Am wondering why this wasn't disclosed prior to sale.
Thanks, in advance, for any input.
amani

Jellystone

Amani4779, congratulations on your new Heartland RV, I know that you will enjoy it. I don't fulltime but i'll give you my thoughts on your two questions. 1.-if you plan on FT'ing in yours then you can pick up a dehumidifier & pick up a couple of those little moisture removing "thingys" and space them out in the unit and you should be OK (all are available at Camping World or your dealer probably has a catalog to order from). 2.-on the formaldehyde issue, that is always present in any camper. The best way to get the initial smell out is to keep proper ventilation in the unit (this will help w/ the condensation also) at all times. Formaldehyde is everywhere in various products we use for shelter, storage, etc. Just an evil of construction material. Anyhow, proper ventilation in various forms (vents, windows, a/c, furnace, fans, etc. used in combination) can help controling both issues. Just my thoughts.

2010augusta

Amani, Welcome to the Heartland Family. As far as not disclosing the prolonged occupancy clause, the complete owners manual is available on the Heartland website.

Most of the trailer at this price point have a similar clause in their manuals.

We full-time in our Landmark and here in the North-west for winter we are running a 50 pint dehumidifier set to 45% and it runs most of the time and pulls about 1.5-2 gallons a day. we have NO condensation issues.

As Jellystone said, the formaldehyde is a by-product of manufacturing and Styrofoam.

lwmcguir

Formaldehyde was present where ever you were living as well. It is necessary to minimize wood rot from destroying you house or camper. It is not a big issue unless you talk to Al. Do as the other post say, dehumidify and air out the Coach when you can. Alan is right on, unless you spend >100K, the clause will be there.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Formaldehyde is recommended by Camping World to be a part of the black tank chemical that is added to keep the smell away and to take care of that wonderful stuff in your black tank.

SilverRhino

Formaldehyde is recommended by Camping World to be a part of the black tank chemical that is added to keep the smell away and to take care of that wonderful stuff in your black tank.

It does do that, but.....reaks havoc with septic systems! I for one do not use any treatment that includes fomaldehyde....Not the most environmentally friendly product.

Just my opinion.