PDA

View Full Version : 3950 Roof - Is this "normal"?

4Girls&aMan
02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
My 3950 is my first RV of any kind.

After 3 months of ownership I noticed that the roof has dips and valleys running down its length.

I'm not sure if this should be considered normal or if I need to have it looked at. There is no Heartland dealer anywhere near me so I don't want to make the trek if I don't need to.

Added photos to help you understand what I'm asking about. Used my broom handle and pocket tool to show the extent of the valley.

Thanks!

trvlrerik
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
My roof on the 3912 is totally flat, does your interior roof have corresponding low spots? I have some sags in my ceiling (none greater than 1/4") during high heat storage. but seem to go away after cooling down. I would call Heartland and ask for advise in my opinion.

Jellystone
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
That roof does NOT look right to me. I've owned 2 different toyhaulers 1.-SOB, 2.-Heartland & neither one had a roof w/peaks and valleys(both have been flat as a pancake). Just my opinion.

Mike Aplin
02-15-2010, 09:34 AM
We would like to help you with your concerns. Please contact our customer service at 877-262-8032 and we will go over any concerns that you may have. Take care, Mike

4Girls&aMan
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
My roof on the 3912 is totally flat, does your interior roof have corresponding low spots? I have some sags in my ceiling (none greater than 1/4") during high heat storage. but seem to go away after cooling down. I would call Heartland and ask for advise in my opinion.

On the inside the roof is pulling away from the walls in the master bath, which is where the roof is bucking up the most. Asked a guy doing warranty work to look at it and I think he just added a couple of screws - which didn't hold and resulted in a piece of trim falling when we moved to a new location. Picked up the camper on 9 November and have been in it more than not since then - thus, never had it in storage.

PUG
02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
My 3950 (09) isn't exactly flat and smooth (can't expect that} but there isn't what I would consider dips and valleys either. Have dealer check it out. The pics don't show real well.

Golferkids
02-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I was up on my roof yesterday putting my Radio antenna back on (it falls off alot. I put on lock-tite this time) and upon looking at the roof I noticed the roof had bowed up between the joists. It was flat as a pancake when I was up there last month washing it after a trip. I will look at the interior when I pick it up at storage on Wednesday.

4Girls&aMan
02-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Here's a better picture of what I'm seeing. Talking to the factory guys and I know they will take care of me based upon past experience!

These were taken later and as you can see at the A/C. Dip in this area is greater than what initially caught my eye - can't believe that I would have missed this so think it must be new.

shriver63
02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Holy crap that looks horrible. I would sure be interested on what caused this? No insulation?

porthole
02-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Mine looks nothing like that.

jmaguire
02-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Mine is doing the exact same thing.

jmaguire
02-22-2010, 07:47 PM
As a matter of fact it is also at the ac unit just like yours.

davelinde
07-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I see this is a pretty old thread - but what happened?
My roof looked like that too and I had it repaired. The tech told me the corners were not fit up properly allowing the sheathing to dip like that between the rafters. If I understood right - it was not really a structural issue (my case) but needed to be corrected. They pulled the corners off and re-fit them. It was a few days of work under warranty - done a year ago and still looking good. However I am careful about where I step when I walk (gently) on the roof.

Springerdan
07-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Dave When you say the corners were not fit up right are you talking about the corners of the plywood sheets or the corners of the unit itself? What did the repair entail? Did they have to replace the roof? I seem to be having the same issue with my 3950. I called Heartland customer service and the reply was that he wanted to see pictures before saying anything but he didn't seem at all suprised by my issue. I will send pics to them over the weekend and see what happens on Monday.
Dan

Chesse
07-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Mine is doing the same thing, looks like the roof is falling in.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/allmyguys_2009/photo-10.jpg
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/allmyguys_2009/photo-9.jpg

davelinde
07-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Dave When you say the corners were not fit up right are you talking about the corners of the plywood sheets or the corners of the unit itself? What did the repair entail? Did they have to replace the roof?

As it was described to me by the tech who repaired it... (I never saw it open) the roof sheath is supposed to fit up into the radius corner where the roof meets the wall. If the wrong corner is used or the sheathing doesn't fit up it sags.

The repair was to peel back the roof and replace/refit the radius. Mine was done under warranty, all they needed was my VIN and pictures (and I was under warranty). I have a year on the repair now and it seems fine. They did slop a bit of mastic around which made a mess... but it's on the roof - and they only person who sees it is me.

Cycloner3950
08-24-2010, 11:27 PM
I am in shock at what I see in these pictures! This is not right and definitely not something that any of us should have to deal with or worry about, especially considering we all bought these units because we wanted QUALITY..... This comes as no surprise to me however because today as I was installing a fantastic fan in the bathroom, much to my shock I discovered that the roof sheathing is OSB, yes OSB and only about 3/8 thick. No wonder it bows and bounces when you walk on it. Does anyone else find this CHEAP and unacceptable or am I just over reacting?? At the very least, I would have assumed by everything I have read that the sheathing would have been plywood.....not OSB. It should really be much thicker since these are toyhaulers and people do sit on the roof at races etc. The more I dig into the build quality of my unit, the less impressed I am and wonder why Heartland has chosen to CHEAP out on such structural items? I expected more, this is the type of junk I would expect from Jayco...............not Heartland. Very disappointed.

cmjhunt
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
We have the same issue with our 2010 and we've been leaving it up to the location we purchased our unit from and they couldn't believe what they saw, however, no one seems to know how they are going to take care of it. My husband feels that instead of fooling around with the roof, they should replace the whole unit. Once you tear the roofs apart then you need to worry about whether or not your going to have seal issues and leaks after this "repair". So since May we still have no answer.

jmgratz
08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
RV roofs get replaced all of the time with good results. Just be sure to have a shop do the replacement that knows what they are doing and you should be fine.

gpshemi
08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
We have the same issue with our 2010 and we've been leaving it up to the location we purchased our unit from and they couldn't believe what they saw, however, no one seems to know how they are going to take care of it. My husband feels that instead of fooling around with the roof, they should replace the whole unit. Once you tear the roofs apart then you need to worry about whether or not your going to have seal issues and leaks after this "repair". So since May we still have no answer.

Wow...coulda drove it to the factory in that kinda time...

cookie
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Just a little food for thought.
Model building codes typically use the phrase “wood structural panel” to describe the use of plywood and osb. Codes recognize these two materials as the same. Likewise, APA the Engineered Wood Association, the agency responsible for approving more than 75% of the structural panels used in residential construction, treat osb and plywood as equals in their published performance guidelines. And wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent.
A bumper crop of news stories highlighting contractor ripoffs has left consumers reeling. Reports indicate that some homeowners worry about builders “cheaping out” when they use osb. Customers become suspicious that builders are trying to put something over on them: charging for an expensive product like plywood and substituting it with something cheap, like osb. When it comes to structural integrity, cost is less of an issue among consumers than structural performance.
“It looks like a bunch of junk pounded together.”, is how one homeowner described osb to me. Another homeowner asked, ” What the **** is going on? Aren’t there any more trees?” Public perception is that we are getting stuck with scraps. The uninitiated don’t appreciate the high-level of science and technology used to produce engineered wood products. They think that “glued-together” is not as good as “nailed-together”. And oddly, plywood is perceived as solid wood to a lay person.

Peace
Dave

porthole
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I think many people associate OSB with particle board of years ago.

I have "Advantec" sheathing in my motorcycle trailer. Supposedly it has a 50 year warranty as a roof sheathing.

SouthernNights
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Model building codes typically use the phrase “wood structural panel” to describe the use of plywood and osb. Codes recognize these two materials as the same. Likewise, APA the Engineered Wood Association, the agency responsible for approving more than 75% of the structural panels used in residential construction, treat osb and plywood as equals in their published performance guidelines. And wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent.
A bumper crop of news stories highlighting contractor ripoffs has left consumers reeling. Reports indicate that some homeowners worry about builders “cheaping out” when they use osb. Customers become suspicious that builders are trying to put something over on them: charging for an expensive product like plywood and substituting it with something cheap, like osb. When it comes to structural integrity, cost is less of an issue among consumers than structural performance.
“It looks like a bunch of junk pounded together.”, is how one homeowner described osb to me. Another homeowner asked, ” What the **** is going on? Aren’t there any more trees?” Public perception is that we are getting stuck with scraps. The uninitiated don’t appreciate the high-level of science and technology used to produce engineered wood products. They think that “glued-together” is not as good as “nailed-together”. And oddly, plywood is perceived as solid wood to a lay person.

Peace
Dave
Dave, You are so right about the publics perception of OSB. It takes a little education on any builders part toward the client before they realize the advantages of OSB. Even thought the IRC comsiders it equal to plywood, it is in fact superior.
While local codes change depending where you are located the IRC recognizes the strenght of 7/16" OSB to be equivalant to 1/2" plywood. Here in the south, that is what we use for roof sheathing. We do not have to contend with the same snow loads as you northerns.

Another advantge is weight by several lbs. per sheet. The plys cannot seperate because there are none and it is unilaterally strong.
You can get in any nominal size that plywood comes in and T & G.

I have seen it used in residential sub floors. I am not ready to do that yet though. I will stick with Advantech for that.

Of course it does not perform well if exposed to the weather, however they do make an exterior OSB and a marine version. I really I am not sure what is in our trailers.

Cycloner3950
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Peace
Dave

OK, good points but this is from a home framers perspective and let's not forget that a home does not bounce down the road at 65 MPH!!! OSB is not the same as plywood, if that was the case, than Heartland would have used OSB as the floor in the garage. For those of you "uninitiated" with hauling cargo and $$ bikes in the garage, my vote goes with plywood for the simple reason that it has been proven for years.

In the case of the roof sheathing, this new OSB technology may very well be better and lighter but it should be disclosed in Heartland's literature as such. I thought mine was built with plywood........lesson learned.

bill40
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
We would like to help you with your concerns. Please contact our customer service at 877-262-8032 and we will go over any concerns that you may have. Take care, Mike
This request was back on 2/15/10 and we are still talking about plywood vs obs seven months later. How did the call work out and what caused the problem. Maybe I'm just being too nosey.

Chesse
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Mine is in the shop right now with the plywood in the affected area being replaced and new rubber roof put on. I should have it in a few weeks.

Clark

bradb
09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
My 3914 is sagging too. You can see it on the inside.Waiting to hear from the dealer about repairs. Is anyone else's visible from the inside?

davelinde
11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow...coulda drove it to the factory in that kinda time...

Just checked in and wondered what happened too? In our case the repair also took a very long time (dealer issue not HL issue) and we inquired about driving it to the factory. At that time the factory was not set up to do repair.

In our case btw we were told this was an assembly defect and not a materials defect... although come to think of it I believe the dealer did say they replace some sheathing. The good news is mine was fixed under warranty and is fine now.

bradb
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I just received my 3914 back from Heartland and they did a great job replacing my sagging roof! They replaced the whole roof, looks brand new. I am so happy I chose a Cyclone. Great Warranty and customer service!

extman
07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Re. roof problems
I also have the same problem with my 09 4012. I could see a dip on the inside of the cabin that didnt look right so i got up on the roof for a closer look, the roof has dipped about 2.5 inches in two different spots. this should not happen even if it is osb or plywood. my old trailer was a 2000 terry and when i sold it in 2008 the roof still looked like new. Iam thinking this must be a structural issue with the support ribs? I am past my one year warranty but contacted heartland anyway. I am going to send them pics next week. no one has ever been on the roof since i purchased it until now. I hope heartland will help fix this problem as i think it will be very expensive.