3950 Roof - Is this "normal"?

My 3950 is my first RV of any kind.

After 3 months of ownership I noticed that the roof has dips and valleys running down its length.

I'm not sure if this should be considered normal or if I need to have it looked at. There is no Heartland dealer anywhere near me so I don't want to make the trek if I don't need to.

Added photos to help you understand what I'm asking about. Used my broom handle and pocket tool to show the extent of the valley.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P2070863.jpg
    P2070863.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 421
  • P2070862.jpg
    P2070862.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 420
  • P2070867.jpg
    P2070867.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 384
  • P2070869.jpg
    P2070869.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 373

trvlrerik

My roof on the 3912 is totally flat, does your interior roof have corresponding low spots? I have some sags in my ceiling (none greater than 1/4") during high heat storage. but seem to go away after cooling down. I would call Heartland and ask for advise in my opinion.

Jellystone

That roof does NOT look right to me. I've owned 2 different toyhaulers 1.-SOB, 2.-Heartland & neither one had a roof w/peaks and valleys(both have been flat as a pancake). Just my opinion.

Mike Aplin

We would like to help you with your concerns. Please contact our customer service at 877-262-8032 and we will go over any concerns that you may have. Take care, Mike

My roof on the 3912 is totally flat, does your interior roof have corresponding low spots? I have some sags in my ceiling (none greater than 1/4") during high heat storage. but seem to go away after cooling down. I would call Heartland and ask for advise in my opinion.

On the inside the roof is pulling away from the walls in the master bath, which is where the roof is bucking up the most. Asked a guy doing warranty work to look at it and I think he just added a couple of screws - which didn't hold and resulted in a piece of trim falling when we moved to a new location. Picked up the camper on 9 November and have been in it more than not since then - thus, never had it in storage.

PUG

Pug
My 3950 (09) isn't exactly flat and smooth (can't expect that} but there isn't what I would consider dips and valleys either. Have dealer check it out. The pics don't show real well.

Golferkids

I was up on my roof yesterday putting my Radio antenna back on (it falls off alot. I put on lock-tite this time) and upon looking at the roof I noticed the roof had bowed up between the joists. It was flat as a pancake when I was up there last month washing it after a trip. I will look at the interior when I pick it up at storage on Wednesday.

Here's a better picture of what I'm seeing. Talking to the factory guys and I know they will take care of me based upon past experience!

These were taken later and as you can see at the A/C. Dip in this area is greater than what initially caught my eye - can't believe that I would have missed this so think it must be new.

Attachments

• P2200930..jpg
    P2200930..jpg
    543 KB · Views: 268
  • P2200934..jpg
    P2200934..jpg
    444 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

davelinde

I see this is a pretty old thread - but what happened?
My roof looked like that too and I had it repaired. The tech told me the corners were not fit up properly allowing the sheathing to dip like that between the rafters. If I understood right - it was not really a structural issue (my case) but needed to be corrected. They pulled the corners off and re-fit them. It was a few days of work under warranty - done a year ago and still looking good. However I am careful about where I step when I walk (gently) on the roof.

Dave When you say the corners were not fit up right are you talking about the corners of the plywood sheets or the corners of the unit itself? What did the repair entail? Did they have to replace the roof? I seem to be having the same issue with my 3950. I called Heartland customer service and the reply was that he wanted to see pictures before saying anything but he didn't seem at all suprised by my issue. I will send pics to them over the weekend and see what happens on Monday.
Dan

Chesse

Mine is doing the same thing, looks like the roof is falling in.

photo-10.jpg
[/IMG]
photo-9.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

davelinde

Dave When you say the corners were not fit up right are you talking about the corners of the plywood sheets or the corners of the unit itself? What did the repair entail? Did they have to replace the roof?

As it was described to me by the tech who repaired it... (I never saw it open) the roof sheath is supposed to fit up into the radius corner where the roof meets the wall. If the wrong corner is used or the sheathing doesn't fit up it sags.

The repair was to peel back the roof and replace/refit the radius. Mine was done under warranty, all they needed was my VIN and pictures (and I was under warranty). I have a year on the repair now and it seems fine. They did slop a bit of mastic around which made a mess... but it's on the roof - and they only person who sees it is me.

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
I am in shock at what I see in these pictures! This is not right and definitely not something that any of us should have to deal with or worry about, especially considering we all bought these units because we wanted QUALITY..... This comes as no surprise to me however because today as I was installing a fantastic fan in the bathroom, much to my shock I discovered that the roof sheathing is OSB, yes OSB and only about 3/8 thick. No wonder it bows and bounces when you walk on it. Does anyone else find this CHEAP and unacceptable or am I just over reacting?? At the very least, I would have assumed by everything I have read that the sheathing would have been plywood.....not OSB. It should really be much thicker since these are toyhaulers and people do sit on the roof at races etc. The more I dig into the build quality of my unit, the less impressed I am and wonder why Heartland has chosen to CHEAP out on such structural items? I expected more, this is the type of junk I would expect from Jayco...............not Heartland. Very disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmjhunt

We have the same issue with our 2010 and we've been leaving it up to the location we purchased our unit from and they couldn't believe what they saw, however, no one seems to know how they are going to take care of it. My husband feels that instead of fooling around with the roof, they should replace the whole unit. Once you tear the roofs apart then you need to worry about whether or not your going to have seal issues and leaks after this "repair". So since May we still have no answer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
RV roofs get replaced all of the time with good results. Just be sure to have a shop do the replacement that knows what they are doing and you should be fine.

gpshemi

We have the same issue with our 2010 and we've been leaving it up to the location we purchased our unit from and they couldn't believe what they saw, however, no one seems to know how they are going to take care of it. My husband feels that instead of fooling around with the roof, they should replace the whole unit. Once you tear the roofs apart then you need to worry about whether or not your going to have seal issues and leaks after this "repair". So since May we still have no answer.

Wow...coulda drove it to the factory in that kinda time...