Spindle that turns glass plate is broken

Inmans

The spindle that makes the glass plate turn has broken in our Half Time Oven. We have tried to pull out the remaining stem to try to find a replacement. However the remainder fo the broken stem will not come out. Will we need to have the oven replaced? Or can this be repaired? We can still use the oven, however the turn table does make for a more even cooking, especially when baking bisquits etc.

GETnBYE

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but a question instead.
Did the glass plate ever stay in place as it turned before it broke?
Ours gets out of the groove and comes off the little prongs. I just figured it was because it was a tiny little camper microwave. I have a hard time getting it back in place because I am vertically challanged, so I just wiggle it around and around after I cook anything. I am interested to see what responses you will get on this question.

Inmans

Ours gets out of the groove and comes off the little prongs. I just figured it was because it was a tiny little camper microwave. I have a hard time getting it back in place because I am vertically challanged, so I just wiggle it around and around after I cook anything. I am interested to see what responses you will get on this question.

Thank you for your reply - I to am vertically challenged, Ron normally has to check the microwave for me when cooking anything that needs browning. The plate always slipped off he groove when we were traveling, after getting set up we would have to reset it into the groove. However, once set it usually stayed in place until our next move. We use this a lot, re heating coffee, and for most meals. I think we have used the gas oven 1 time in 2 years - it is too much of a challenge to light. We are still using the half time oven, just have to stop it and manually rotate the plate a couple of times while the bisquits are baking.

csalmons

Sorry I have not replied quicker, I was having trouble logging on to the forum.
I'm sorry you are having problems, but hopefully I can provide a little help. Unfortunately the spindle is connected to the turn table motor inside the microwave so you can not just replace the spindle. The enitre motor will have to be replaced. The spindle snapping is generally caused by traveling with the glass plate inside the mircowave unit. Unfortunately, this is not covered under warranty, however we do have parts availible for you to have this repaired. Please give us a call at 800-772-7262 and we would be happy to help you out, as well as answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you and safe travels!

GETnBYE

My plate is getting off track during cooking, seems like we are constantly resetting it. It is like the glass plate does not have large enough grooves.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The spindle snapping is generally caused by traveling with the glass plate inside the mircowave unit. Unfortunately, this is not covered under warranty, however we do have parts availible for you to have this repaired.

Not that I am trying to start something here but I hope we challenge this statement. Is this spelled out in their literature? While it does make perfect sense that the glass plate can cause this to happen, how many of us remove it before we travel? For as long as we've been camping and had rigs with a turntable type microwave I have never taken the glass plate out before travelling and have never had an issue thus far, (knocking on wood profusely). I completely understand where Midwest sales is comming from but I feel this is not a common issue and hope they would rethink their decision for Inmans.

Just my personal opinion,

Mark

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nothing about that in my owner's manual, which is the same as the one found in the manuals section of this forum. Searching the Midwest, Apollo, and Half-Time sites does not produce any manuals or parts illustrations. I'm not near my rig, so I can't tell if there is any kind of warning sticker in or on the oven itself.

Sounds like the three-prong driver is molded directly onto the motor armature, rather than being replaceable. Like having a flat ground on the end of the armature and a set screw or molded receiver in the driver (like an stove knob).

Would be nice to have a parts illustration of the oven and mechanisms.

csalmons

Not that I am trying to start something here but I hope we challenge this statement. Is this spelled out in their literature? While it does make perfect sense that the glass plate can cause this to happen, how many of us remove it before we travel? For as long as we've been camping and had rigs with a turntable type microwave I have never taken the glass plate out before travelling and have never had an issue thus far, (knocking on wood profusely). I completely understand where Midwest sales is comming from but I feel this is not a common issue and hope they would rethink their decision for Inmans.

Just my personal opinion,

Mark

Mark,

I completely understand where you are coming from with this. Actually, in conjunction with Heartland RV a notification is suppposed to be included in the paperwork that you receive when you purchase your RV. We have drafted several copies and to our knowledge they are included in the closing packets. I am sure that when you purchase your RV, you receive a pile of paperwork and I'm also sure not everyone reads every single piece of paper included in that pile. We try our best to notify people of things you should do and not do. I have posted other times on this forum siting the importance of removing the glass plate and also not storing items inside the unit. No matter what type of microwave unit you have, you should never store items inside or travel with the glass plate inside the unit. No one, including myself, would ever think it's a big deal until something breaks.
I do want to make aware that we have made attempts via this forum and through inserts in purchasing documents to bring attention to this issue. I welcome any questions or comments anyone has. If there is more information you would like to see us provide then please let me know. We are here to help. Thank you again.

csalmons

My plate is getting off track during cooking, seems like we are constantly resetting it. It is like the glass plate does not have large enough grooves.

Anita and Wayne,

You might want to give us a call. It's possible that your turn table driver (the little brown thing the plate sits on) might be worn down and causing the plate to slide off. Give us a call here and we can help you out with that. Our toll free line is 1-800-772-7262. Thank you.

irvin56

My North Trail came with this warning notice about not travelling with ANYthing in oven including metal racks and glass turn table

i have the documents, generic for all heartland trailers and everything from applinces in unit.

We always remove it and put in cupboard by our bed on on top of our bed under the pillows, same as the metal plate. We only leave the ring it rides on in oven

csalmons

This is not exactly an answer to the question above, just more of a FYI I suppose. It is possible that the reason the plate is slipping is because the turn table knob is worn. This is NOT a common problem, but it is possible. I just want to make sure that I make a few points for anyone reading this forum:

1. Always use the metal tray when cooking in convection mode or the 1/2 time mode.
2. Do NOT use the metal tray when cooking in the microwave mode.
3. It is best to use glass cookware in the convection and 1/2 time mode, you just set the glass cookware on top of the metal tray.
4. It is not advised to use metal pans or tin foil in the unit.

If you have any questions about using this unit, please do not hesitate to post on there. I have one of these units in my home and I use it every day to cook. Some things I have found out by trial and error, so they won't be posted in any manual. Please do not think any question is silly. I will be happy to answer all of them to the best of my knowledge. If do not know the answer I will find some one that does. Thank you.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you Cari for explaining your side of it. I understand but have never seen or heard of any such type of document. It could be just me not paying attention but I know now.

Thanks again,
Mark

csalmons

Thank you Cari for explaining your side of it. I understand but have never seen or heard of any such type of document. It could be just me not paying attention but I know now.

Thanks again,
Mark

No problem Mark. I know all you RV owner have loads of paperwork shoved your way when you make a purchase, and many things can get lost in the shuffle. Besides, who wants to really read all that anyway :)
I may not respond quickly on the weekends, but Monday through Friday I am logged on and ready to answer any question you guys throw at me :)

Have a great evening and safe travels :)

Inmans

Sorry I have not replied quicker, I was having trouble logging on to the forum.
I'm sorry you are having problems, but hopefully I can provide a little help. Unfortunately the spindle is connected to the turn table motor inside the microwave so you can not just replace the spindle. The enitre motor will have to be replaced. The spindle snapping is generally caused by traveling with the glass plate inside the mircowave unit. Unfortunately, this is not covered under warranty, however we do have parts availible for you to have this repaired. Please give us a call at 800-772-7262 and we would be happy to help you out, as well as answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you, we do appreciate your answering our problem. We will be calling very soon to try to fix the problem.
Ron and Nora

GETnBYE

Anita and Wayne,

You might want to give us a call. It's possible that your turn table driver (the little brown thing the plate sits on) might be worn down and causing the plate to slide off. Give us a call here and we can help you out with that. Our toll free line is 1-800-772-7262. Thank you.

Cari, It may be, but we have hardly used it at all, but I will call you and Thanks so much for your help.
Nita

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
OOOOOOP's! The "drive" spindle is plastic so you have to be CAREFUL when placing anything in your oven that may "hit too hard" or even a heavy dish/plate that stops the rotation could also cause it to brake. This I found out is not covered in warranty at all! I "ordered" the part then put it in myself. Great product except for this Achilles heel with a great service team as well.

It took me about 30 minutes start to finish.