06 lbz durmax glowplug problem

5catfam

Has anyone got a check engine light with a code for cyl 8 glow plug,
on 06 lbz. Also how much of a job to change glowplug on lbz?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Cy, send me a PM or email with the code# and I will find out on Monday when I get to work. I think the the glow plugs are easy to replace on the "D" motor. I will look at mine in the AM. Bob

porthole

Retired
Cy, send me a PM or email with the code# and I will find out on Monday when I get to work. I think the the glow plugs are easy to replace on the "D" motor. I will look at mine in the AM. Bob

And don't forget to post the info here Bob!

Yes, 06 DMax had #6 cylinder glow plug failure about 6 months ago. Not a big deal to replace - a couple hours. The dealer only had one in stock and they couldn't remember another 06 glow plug sold.

Bob&Patty

Duane, will do. Dont see too many glow plug's being replaced after the 04 1/2 duramax "2" motor came out. Have seen some have melted because the key left on for extended periods of time..like 6 hours. That was ugly...punched the top of a few pistons out. 50 miles on the truck. Aftermarket sterio installer....imagine that. Cost the radio shop 13K for the repair.:eek: Bob

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
13K..... OUCH.

Looking forwarded to the response to original question as well.

John T Bettencourt

I have an 03 Durmax and the dealer has replaced 4 of the glow pluges over a period of the last 2 years. They tell me they are still covered from GM. Try and get that from other Mfg.

DntDctr

Got this from the dmax forum, hope it helps

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the batteries.
2. Remove the wheel housing.
3. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
4. Remove the electrical nuts from the desired glow plugs.
5. Remove the harness from the desired glow plugs. IMPORTANT: On the Federal Emissions systems there is a buss bar connecting the glow plugs on each bank of the engine.
6. Remove the desired glow plugs.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the glow plug.

Tighten
Tighten to 18 N.m (13 lb ft) .

2. Install the buss bar and wiring.
3. Install the glow plug electrical nut.

Tighten
Tighten the nut to 1.5 N.m (13 lb in) .

4. Install the Air Cleaner Outlet Duct.
5. Install the wheel well housing.
6. Reconnect the batteries.

palebluedot

Just goes to show how mechanically challenged I am. I thought they didn't use glow plugs any longer. My 02 Cummins uses something called a grid heater instead. Sure can see the volt meter drop when you turn the key watching the "wait to start" light go out. Knock on wood, haven't had problem with the heater since new.

porthole

Retired
I was a Chrysler tech when the Cummins was first put into the truck (also when the Mitsubishi was).

Some customers found out that you can't use ether and the grid heater. Don't know if that is an issue anymore but I several several trucks that had extensive engine and body damage due to that little trick.

Bob&Patty

Duane, you should not use ether on any of our little trucks. Use WD 40 instead. That way you wont REMOVE the cylinder heads from the engine with the head bolts still in them.:eek:. Just remember, 13k FOR A DURAMAX.

porthole

Retired
We used silicone spray, worked almost as good as ether. But the nice thing about the Dmax is you don't need any of that stuff, starts even when 0.

Sparkie

We have a 04' duramax. We just had a glowplug replaced at the dealer. He told us they are covered under warranty up to 200,000 miles!

Bob&Patty

Sparkie, yes some of them are, depending on which engine you have. If you have the early 04, then you have the "1" engine. I believe that any of the "2" and "D" engines are only 100K.

5catfam

Code was P0678 Cyl 8 glow plug circuit. after paying deductable of 100.00 all is fixied. Slight viberation I felt about 30 to 40 mph is another item. Had to replace front left hub due to bad bearing 695.00, it was a expensive day at the service department today, (both parts in stock at dealership, "high failure items???",