Stabilizing trailer

trvlrerik

I am getting ready for the upcoming "season" and I am looking for ways to stabilize my cyclone, I am thinking of getting some X style chocks to lock in the tires.

First, does anybody use these for stabilization, and second do I need 4 sets to lock in all six wheels?

We do a lot of one or two night stays, so I do not use my jacks to shore up the frame during these quick stops. I also keep my truck hooked up if we are not to long for the site we are in.

Also, has anybody attempted to add any isolation mounts to their washing machine to keep the spin cycle from bouncing the camper around?

Thanks
Erik

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
A lot of owners are using JT's or a similar brand of stabilizer. They are designed to prevent the side to side and for and aft movement of the rig. They attach to the frame and landing gear and act similar to a gusset. The X style chocks help some and having the truck attached should help as well. The rear landing leg/stabilizers will help prevent the rig bouncing which is a lot of what you may feel. Anything that allows movement will contribute to the feel of instability.

caissiel

I just let my unit bounce, it rocks me to sleep, even when I don't want to. The DW says its good for me. LOL

truknutt

Committed Member
Erik,

I also use the X chocks with our '09 Cyclone 3210 simply because they retract enough to get them in and out of the tires with less "physical effort". I use the rear stab jacks to control both the up & down and side-to-side movement of the garage. I do have the smaller 10 foot garage so I'm sure there is more movement in the 12 footers.

I find that the front jacks are fine for controlling the up & down motion but more extension equals more side-to-side "sway". This is when my old kingpin tripod comes into play.

In a perfect world I would prefer the JT (or comparable) stabilizers. Right now I'm saving up for the Level-Up system which should take care of all unwanted motion with the mere touch of a button! Jim B's Demo at the PA rally really sold us on this!

Dave

beasleyrl

Erik - I had been using some chocks similar to the x chocks on my prior 5er. However, they didn't fit between the wheels on the Cyclone. I also used a king pin stabilizer on both the prior rig and Cyclone when I first got it. It worked okay but it was a pain to carry out and setup each time we went out so I found my self only using the king pin about half the time. Then someone showed me the JT's. I installed them shortly thereafter and I have to say, they are far the best. Easy to use (just don't over tighten the bolts) and they work very well. I bought them from Tweety's and installed them myself. It took about 3 hours to get them on. Not that it matters, but JT was bought by Lippert. Obviously they saw the benefit! Roger

jnbhobe

In a perfect world I would prefer the JT (or comparable) stabilizers. Right now I'm saving up for the Level-Up system which should take care of all unwanted motion with the mere touch of a button! Jim B's Demo at the PA rally really sold us on this!

Dave

Dave; You just liked playing with the buttons trying to make JB's trailer dance. Good thing there wasn't music !!! LOL

truknutt

Committed Member
Dave; You just liked playing with the buttons trying to make JB's trailer dance. Good thing there wasn't music !!! LOL

Had the tune in my head; I just couldn't get the Landmark to "bounce to the beat"!

"All my friends know the low rider
The low rider is a little higher
Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer
Low rider knows every street yeah!
Low rider is the one to meet yeah!
Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive to fast
Take a little trip
Take a little trip
Take a little trip and see
Take a little trip
Take a little trip
Take a little trip with me"

Dutch & Di

We've used the Plug It Right stabilizers for over 4 years. No more movement when walking around and don't even notice the spin cycle anymore. Diana