SE Iowa to Mt Rushmore, via Sioux Falls

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Well I have read quite a bit about the Rushmore area, but would like to hear from some fellow Heartland owners as to their experiences.

We will leave SE Iowa and drive to Sioux Falls, probably spend a day or 2. Our daughter will be 28 months at time of trip, so would like to find a kid friendly, fun place to spend our time...... any suggestion?

We will then head over to the Rushmore area.... Obviously with my daughter being as young as she is, we will look to do several small day trips, so a central location is a must. Our 5'r is 33' overall length and I would prefer full hook ups. Kid Friendly site with shade would make momma happy.

We will probably spend 4-5 days in the rushmore area, so what would you recommend our site seeing agenda to be?

Thanks for your help
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mark, there is no shortage of things to occupy your time in the Black Hills. The one thing I would reccomend is to not only see Mount Rushmore by day, but to go back for the evening cerimony. Your day pass is also good to get you back in at night. There are plenty of campgrounds in the area. Just do an online search.

Peace
Dave

Rrloren

Also go and see Crazy Horse , just down the road. We find Deadwood interesting also but don't know if for a youngster.
I'd suggest while on the way along the I-90 interstate stop and take the loop thru the Badlands then stop at Wall Drug, that will be interesting for all of you.
We expect to visit the area again late July. It's a great spot to visit with lots of kids attractions between Rapid City and Hill City.

rvn4fun

Being from SD, we have traveled SD extensively. When we stay in Sioux Falls area we stay at the Red Barn campgrouund in Tea. It is a few miles out of Sioux Falls which is good. It is not the fanciest rv park but it is the most resonable priced in the area and is a Good Sam park. In the Black Hills we always stay around the Custer area. Usually at Big Pines rv park. All the major attractions are close to this area. We travel into Custer State park everytime out there, the Needles road and Iron Mountain road are all in the park. Crazy Horse is just a few miles out of Custer ect. Since we don't gamble we seldom travel to the Deadwood area in the northern Black Hills, one beautiful drive in that area, that is great, is thru Spearfish Canyon. There is a lot of tourist traps out there but we have found Reptile Gardens is a good deal for the money especially when the weather is bad for outside things. As stated above first two weeks of August should be avoided because of the thousands and thousands of motorcyles there for the Sturgis rally.

TNT

We were there last summer a few weeks before the Sturgis Rally and our trip could not have been more memorable. Had never been to that area and it lived up to what everyone said about it. Custer park and Needles Hwy is spectacular. Great drive if the little one needs a nap. Anything in that area or around Keystone would be a central place to stay. Lots of tourist stuff on road from Rapid City to Keystone, we didn't do any so don't know if worth it or not. Agree with Rushmore at night, gotta see. Deadwood is neat to drive through on circle through Spearfish Canyon, but that may be it for a family. Enjoy, we plan to be there again next summer.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
We went to Black Hills last summer too. In years past the zoo in Sioux Falls was great (haven't been there for awhile though) Stayed in Chamberlain and then Bad Lands. I agree seeing Mount Rushmore during day and also at night. Did the same for Crazy Horse. Had a great time on Needles Highway seeing many buffalo and mules. We did every cave we could. Stayed at KOA nearest Mount Rushmore which has lots of family/kids things to do!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Last May we were in the Black Hills staying in Hill City at Rafter j Bar Ranch. It had full hookups with 50 amp services but the sites were a little tight. What can any one say about the Black Hills - fun Fun FUN!!! Custer State Park and Wind Cave National park is a day in itself. Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse is amazing. Also went up to Devils Tower as a day trip which was well worth it and ate in Deadwood at the Franklin Hotel - great buffalo steak. Little Switzerland in Rapid City was interesting and free. Did a side trip to Hot Springs to see the Great Mammoth dig which I would say is a must do. Hope you plan to send more than a few days there.

I'll be traveling with 3 teens and a 9 yr. old in my new 39 ft. 5th wheel and expect to spend 5 days in Rapid City. I was thinking of staying at the KOA on Hwy 44 in Rapid City and making that my home base - plan to see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Wild Horse Sanctuary, Custer State Park, Wall Drug Store in Sturgis, Black Hills area.

I think I'll take your suggestion and stay at the Big Pines RV park. I'm new to pulling such a big rig and wondered if this park is big rig friendly.

rvn4fun

I just checked Big Pines video on there web site and it said big rig friendly. When we stayed there when we had our old 5th wheel and pickup, but our 5th wheel was 36 ft long and we had no problems. Our friends stay there a lot and they have a 36 ft 5th wheel and they haven't had any problems. I am not sure if all there sites are 50 amps, you might have to call them or email them on their web site. It is a great, clean campground and the trees smell so good. The last time we were in the Black Hills was in October for the buffaloe roundup at Custer State Park. We stayed at the park then. Custer State park has just a few sites that are big rig friendly. Another nice campground that we liked out in the Custer area is Custer Mountain.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We stayed at Hart Ranch last year near Rapid City and we thought it was an awesome campground, really well kept up, and I was forced to back in, which was a fun experience as well. Mt. Rushmore is breathtaking, and the Black Hills and Custer Park are great.