Water Pump Info. Please-Mine Died

Yianni

Does anyone know the model number of the Shur Flo ( I assume it's a Shur Flo ) pump in the Cyclone 3010? Mine died this weekend. Fortunately it was the last day of the trip but still a pain. We just got home and it's dark out. I need to get one at CW tomorrow and then will call Heartland to see if they'll send me a replacement. I'll keep one as a spare so we don't have to deal with this again.
If anyone knows the model of one carried by CW in store I could use, that would be very helpful. Mine was a variable speed pump.
Thanks for any help!

rtataryn

Yianni,

You have the same pump I do. A Shurflo 5.7.

My Shurflo 5.7 stopped working on the first day of my very first trip - after about 2 hours of use. After an internet search, it seems others have had some problems with the 5.7. It seems to center around the pressure sensor going bad. The Shurflo installation manual states to eliminate any unnecessary elbow fittings in order to minimize backpressure and allow the pump to run freely. My pump in my new Cyclone 3010 was installed with 90 elbows directly on both the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. This may have caused the pressure sensor to malfunction and caused it to fail.

I ended up ordering a new pump - overnight delivery - and installed it so that I wouldn't have any down time. When Shurflo repaired my original pump I kept it as a back-up. I installed the new pump without any elbow fittings . . . just a straight shot in and out, and it has been working fine.

Rod

Yianni

Thanks Rod, I looked through all my paperwork and there was no manual for the water pump. I'll see if CW has a 5.7 and check to see if mine has 90's.
Thanks for the good info!

caissiel

I had a Shure Flow 2.8 with elbows on both end, it lasted 15 years with no problems. Not even a filter on the inlet.
One must have to question the value of the newer product these days.

rtataryn

I had a Shure Flow 2.8 with elbows on both end, it lasted 15 years with no problems. Not even a filter on the inlet.
One must have to question the value of the newer product these days.

Unlike the 2.8, the 5.7 is a variable speed pump, with a pressure sensor that regulates the amount of water to pump based on the demand. A 90 degree bend on the inlet and outlet sides of the pump are not likely a problem for the 2.8, but they are for the 5.7. The sensor does add a level of complexity, but it is Shurfo's top of the line RV pump and is an excellent product providing the installation instructions are followed.

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/rv/911_trouble_shooting/new/911-594-D_English.pdf

dynaguy

Did you contact sur flo, your pump should not have died so soon, i would call them and see what if anything they are willing to do!!

Yianni

Did you contact sur flo, your pump should not have died so soon, i would call them and see what if anything they are willing to do!!

I called Heartland and talked to Joe Scheneman. I asked if he would send me a new pump and I would install it myself to save me from having to tow it to a dealer and leave it for a month just for that. He said no problem. Great customer service from Joe and Heartland.
I did talk to Shurflo. They think the reason the pump failed is because 90 degree elbows were used on the inlet and outlet side of the pump putting too much pressure on the pump. They want straight lines coming in and out. That is how I installed the new pump so we'll see.

sgaston44

My Shurflo water pump was causing a leak at the fresh water intake. Repairman said it was probably overflow valve on pump. I contacted Shurflo and they said to send them my pump. They replaced it with a new one, no charge. Warranty is good for three years, mine was one year old. Now I have an extra pump.

gpshemi

I called Heartland and talked to Joe Scheneman. I asked if he would send me a new pump and I would install it myself to save me from having to tow it to a dealer and leave it for a month just for that. He said no problem. Great customer service from Joe and Heartland.
I did talk to Shurflo. They think the reason the pump failed is because 90 degree elbows were used on the inlet and outlet side of the pump putting too much pressure on the pump. They want straight lines coming in and out. That is how I installed the new pump so we'll see.

See that's stunning to me. I got with Heartland too on that and they refused to do that for me even though I had read here there were others doing that too. In the end, I took it to a dealer and they worked it out for me. I swapped it, and they took the other one on warranty. The Shurflo 5.7 are junk in my opinion. I'd rather have my old Shurflo and the accumulator from my old rig...but too late now.

goldbrick

My shur-flo pump may be causing my pop off valve on the water heater to leak about 50% of the time. I will use the water and the pump will continue to run slowly. Go outside and sure enough pop off valve will be leaking. I haven't been able to determine if it is a faulty valve or the pump is developing too much pressure. Any ideas?
Merton

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My shur-flo pump may be causing my pop off valve on the water heater to leak about 50% of the time. I will use the water and the pump will continue to run slowly. Go outside and sure enough pop off valve will be leaking. I haven't been able to determine if it is a faulty valve or the pump is developing too much pressure. Any ideas?
Merton
It sounds as if you may have a bit of debris in the valve and maybe even the pump. For the pop off valve, try opening & closing it a couple times to flush out anything that may be stuck on the seal surface.
Depending on the pump you have, they are adjustable. Find the info for your pump and go to the shur flo website for directions for cleaning and adjusting the pump and valve body. It's been a while but my original pump had debris and was doing the same thing your's is as well as allowing fresh water to bypass the pump and fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water.