Bent Spring

Do you think Lippert will warranty it?. I just got the trailer (used) and going threw a check list of things I wanted to maker sure that is was in working condition and noticed this. Looks to me that one of the spring pads are short and caused it to bend. Let me know what you think.

axle.jpg

caissiel

Re: Bent Axle

You have a typical spring break there, I would jack the frame one side at a time and check the other spring for broken plies.
When the spring get slack you can see the cracks on the spring.
It a bad situation if you ever brake the main ply.

crazybanshee

Re: Bent Axle Spring

Looks like just a bent spring. Had that on mine also. Lippert uses cheap components so you don't want a replacement from them. I went to a local trailer supply and bought six new springs from them and not had another problem. Went with 3000lb rated springs with 6 leaves.
Doug

TXBobcat

Fulltime

It looks like part of the second leaf is gone and the top leaf is bent because it is gone.
I would take it down to a trailer shop and get a set of new springs. The breakage of the second leaf could have happen if the previous owner hit a large pothole. You did not say which trailer you have and what the year it was built. If it is less than one year then talk to Heartland. If it is over a year old talk to the previous owner. Probably the best thing you can do is just fix it and go get a Good Sams Extended Service Plan.

If you sold your truck and the person that purchased it had the transmisson die on it, would you want him to come back and ask you to replace it? I wouldn't. I don't think the previous owner or Heartland would repair a use trailer especially one that is a year old. If you purchased it from a Dealer you might go back to him and see what they would do.

This is ment respectfully. Do not take it as a slam. I am just trying to use common sence and logic to what I would think or do.

Good luck & travel safe.
BC

SmokeyBare

I agree with Your view TXBobCat. One other thing to add, the cost to replace the spring isn't all that much.

The title of this thread is somewhat of a concern though. It's listed as bent Axle. If the axle is in fact bent the costs will increase greatly. Although there are a few shops who can made adjustments by way of bending the axle back in alignment, those shops in my view are not common and difficult to find.

I've had both repairs done on my Old (SOB) Fifth Wheel. I replaced all 4 springs as well as both axles alignment. Work was done at a shop in Grant Pass Oregon. Shop's name was Henderson Line Up. Link : http://hendersonslineup.com/

Good Luck with your problem

beasleyrl

I just had all 6 replaced by Lippert in December for the same reason. Broke 2 in a 4 month period (Memorial Day weekend and 1 on the way to a Heartland Rally in September). Lippert covered it under the warranty but it took my dealer getting involved (and possibly Heartland). Speaking from experience, I would not drive this while it is in this condition.

I should also say, the dealer had to send a broken spring to Lippert before they would agree to the fix. Fortunately, I had one that broke.

Looking back at your photo, one of the leafs on your spring is already broken on the right side of the picture. It is only a matter of time before you break this one into 2 pieces then you will have real problems.

DSC_0658.jpgDSC00141.jpg