395RW - Power Inverter

Mike Aplin

Our Heartland products (Cyclone and Road Warrior) only have converters not inverters. Thank you, Mike

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello Bruteforce. In case you're not aware, the converter supplied with your unit provides AC power directly from the generator. There is no inverter. An inverter changes the 12vDC power from a battery into 110 (or 220, depending upon the inverter). Sounds like you may need to buy an inverter if that's the route you want to go.

I have bought several different sizes/styles/manufacturers inverters and the most recent one I bought is this one:

http://www.topsalesdepot.com/bwadctoacpoi.html

This company has many different power inverters but the most important feature (to me) is the wireless remote control that comes with every inverter.

Remember, whenever you have an inverter turned on it is consuming a certain amount of your available power just running itself. Unless you want to mount the inverter on your kitchen table for easy access, you will be running to the basement whenever you want to turn it on or off. This remote control is priceless!

That's my two cents worth.

BruteForce

Thanks for that. I'll need to review wiring options so a standard inverter would be tied into wall outlets. Otherwise, its a portable unit that plugs into the car style outlet under the stereo/DVD player in the kitchen of my 395RW.

Hello Bruteforce. In case you're not aware, the converter supplied with your unit provides AC power directly from the generator. There is no inverter. An inverter changes the 12vDC power from a battery into 110 (or 220, depending upon the inverter). Sounds like you may need to buy an inverter if that's the route you want to go.

I have bought several different sizes/styles/manufacturers inverters and the most recent one I bought is this one:

http://www.topsalesdepot.com/bwadctoacpoi.html

This company has many different power inverters but the most important feature (to me) is the wireless remote control that comes with every inverter.

Remember, whenever you have an inverter turned on it is consuming a certain amount of your available power just running itself. Unless you want to mount the inverter on your kitchen table for easy access, you will be running to the basement whenever you want to turn it on or off. This remote control is priceless!

That's my two cents worth.

caissiel

I ran a wire to the storage area were the inverter is in. It is tied to a 3 way switch that either gets 120V power from the fuse box or from the converter. It is running the plugs of all the living room area and the fridge. So I just put the fridge on LPG and voila power the entertainment area, on the inverter or the fuse panel.

BruteForce

Would you mind sharing the exact wiring layout to accomplish this?

I ran a wire to the storage area were the inverter is in. It is tied to a 3 way switch that either gets 120V power from the fuse box or from the converter. It is running the plugs of all the living room area and the fridge. So I just put the fridge on LPG and voila power the entertainment area, on the inverter or the fuse panel.

caissiel

I located the 14Ga wires that were coming fom the fuse panel to the recepticles and spliced in a 3 wire going from the 2 ends to the switch and from the switch to a receptical that I plug the Inverter in.

Here is the diagram, of course the neutral wire is not represented on the sketch but the 2 wires from the fuse box and recepticles is shown in verticle from the switch

Attachments

• 3 Way Switch..jpg
    3 Way Switch..jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 45

Northern Virginia
Thanks for that. I'll need to review wiring options so a standard inverter would be tied into wall outlets. Otherwise, its a portable unit that plugs into the car style outlet under the stereo/DVD player in the kitchen of my 395RW.

Brute, the inverters that you plug into a cigarette lighter-type dc plug only prove a few watts. They won't power most of the things we use in our RV's. A standard household receptacle is 1800 watts. A 2000 watt inverter is a good size. The link that MystrMagic provided has 2500 pure sine wave inverters for under $500. That is the lowest I have seen them. Inverters of this size need to be hard wired directly to the battery with large battery cables. My inverter manual said it had to be less than 6 feet from the battery (DC side). The wiring on the AC side of the inverter can be as long as you like. Caissiel's 3 way switch is a cool idea!

John
//heartlandowners.org/../member.php/7463-MystrMagic

BruteForce

Understood. I was only (and primarily) looking to power the TV/Sat Receiver on battery - so I wouldnt have to run the GenSet in the morning to catch the news. We make coffee using the propane stove via a percolator.

Brute, the inverters that you plug into a cigarette lighter-type dc plug only prove a few watts. They won't power most of the things we use in our RV's. A standard household receptacle is 1800 watts. A 2000 watt inverter is a good size. The link that MystrMagic provided has 2500 pure sine wave inverters for under $500. That is the lowest I have seen them. Inverters of this size need to be hard wired directly to the battery with large battery cables. My inverter manual said it had to be less than 6 feet from the battery (DC side). The wiring on the AC side of the inverter can be as long as you like. Caissiel's 3 way switch is a cool idea!

John