Dining Table

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
For whatever reason, I guess I overlooked the fact that the "free-standing" table is actually secured to the floor. This makes the blinds hard to operate as they contact the table. Has anyone moved their table or perhaps just unscrewed it from the floor?

jimtoo

Hi SJH,

I think your table is probably like mine, center post with 4 feet going off of it on the floor. On each one of the feet you should see a wooden hole plug. Pop it out and you can unscrew the table from the floor and move it out a little. I was looking at the floor plan for your unit so, before you screw it back down you need to move it and close the slides to make sure it does not hit the counter in the center of your unit.

Jim M

GETnBYE

I think this is fairly common, we plan to move ours out about an inch and also over a couple of inches. I can get in the chair by the wall, but my hubby can't. tee hee, hope he does not read this.
We met some other BC owners in Pigeon Forge and they had moved theirs and it looked fine and they said it was easy. We have just not had time to do it yet.
Nita

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The counter placement in the BC3450 looks almost identical to our BH3670. Moving the table an inch inboard will definitely smack it into the counter when closing the slide. To keep ours from rubbing on the counter, we place a folded tablecloth on the end of the table before closing the slide.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I unscrewed ours and the screws are now in my junk box. Sometimes, depending on what kind of view we have, we will move the table to the rear window. When you strap the chairs down, it helps keep the table in place while on the road. The beauty of not having it screwed down is you can move it wherever you want. We have not had any problems with it being loose. Based on your floor plan, you may have to take precautions when traveling. Like JohnDar said, use a folded towel for some protection from the slide.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

When we go our Landmark it came with no tie downs for chairs or table and we have not had a movement problem yet and this also goes for the living room chairs. We have been on some pretty rough roads I-40 for example and all we do is put the slides in and go.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks for all the input!

This is one of the new tables (black) which doesn't have conventional "legs" It doesn't look like it would stand stable without being screwed down. Which brings me to this question...if I move it and then secure with screws, is there a danger of the screws extending out the bottom of the slide and perhaps damaging the carpet and/or flooring when being retracted and opened? I had a Springdale that had such an issue and pulled some knap out of the carpet!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That is a different table (just looked at the HL website photos). As for it being unstable if you unscrew the base, if it doesn't wobble now, it should not wobble if you remove the hold-down screws. Those just keep it from sliding, they don't really add to the structural stability. Try it and see for sure. As to remounting it, use the same screws if they're not stripped, or similar length ones. I do not believe any wiring is run through the floor of the slide, only under it and into the walls. You could contact the HL brand manager for Big Country to find out for sure.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I was in a 3450 at the Richmond RV show this past weekend and if I recall correctly, the table is very similar to the style we have in our Sundance. I would try screwing the screws out about 3/4 way and see how stable it feels. It should be moveable, so you shouldn't have a problem with leaving it unscrewed. We also put a blanket over the edge of ours when travelling because it butts right up to the center counter.

caissiel

Our table was rubbing on the cabinet when we received the trailer, so the dealer anchored it closer to the window.
It was to close so we removed the screws and now when we travel we turn the table 90 deg.
We can use it that way when we travel and with the slide in there is more room around the table.
We never had to strap the chairs or the table.
We just put some trows on one chair per side to prevent any rubbing.
So far so good.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Im with Cookie, I unscrewed ours and put the screws in the toolbox. We move the table around wherever we want it, and it stays secure with the chairs strapped down when traveling.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We unscrewed our table and have had no problems with it moving. We also took out two of our dining room chairs to give us more room.

bobber

We did the same thing as jmgratz. We turned our table around in front of the window. When we have company we can move it anywhere we want. It gives lots of room to sit around the table. We also have taken 2 chairs out of the trailer and will purchase 2 folding chairs. Most of the time it is only the 2 of us. We don't strap down when moving and have had no problems. Sure does give us a lot more floor space in out 3070RL.

jpdoggett

I have taken the screws out of the legs of out table it does not move around when we travel it is the same table I had in my Newmar American Star and we had it for 11 years and no problem with the table moving around. It was a table with two legs

JJnLilly

Just looked at the pictures and it appears that your table uses "trestle" legs which are really quite stable. In fact in our old Cougar, I took off the single pedestal/four legs and made a trestle base. Gave a lot more room under the table and much easier getting in our out. In all my travels have only had a table pitch once - and that was because of a mechanical problem - the nut operating the tow vehicle.