How to use water heater with electric, not propane

Does anyone know how to make the water heater run on electric only, and not propane? (and vice versa, when i want to use propane again)

I tried flicking on the red "light switch" in the control closet, and it does nothing.
I understand the back-lit red switch means its heating via propane, which is what I'm using now.

I couldnt find how to do it in the manual.

Thanks!!

OK, never mind, i found the answer in the Landmark Owners forum:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/332-Electric-Water-Heater-Switch
will try that tonight

The_Toads

I have the same question, but the Elk Ridge manual is deficient of information.
What did you do to get the water heater to work on just electric?
Thanks
Dean

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
First... Make sure hot water tank is full before attempting to use electric, otherwise the element will burn out very rapidly / if not instantly. Assuming you are using propane and getting hot water, then the tank should be full.
Second.... Once you are sure the hot water tank is full, open the outside panel/grill to the water heater and locate the switch that may have a cotter pin in it and remove pin and flip switch to on position. The switch will be small and in the back, usually lower left corner, then turn the switch in the trailer to the on position and turn the propane switch off. That is typical "Suburban" hot water heater. Hope that helps.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
By the way, you can run both propane and electric simultaneously to speed up the heating process. We often do this when we first pull in or after one of us takes a long shower. After around 15 minutes, we turn the propane back off. We run on electric whenever possible.

The_Toads

I understand all that you have said.....except the part about "turn the switch in the trailer to the on position and turn the propane switch off."?? We have only one switch in the trailer and it turns the propane heater on or off. Or did you mean to say turn the small switch at the water heater on, and then turn the switch in the trailer off?
Thanks
Dean

branson4020

Icantre Member
Once the small black external switch is turned on, you may ignore it until the next time you drain your water heater, when you should turn off. Inside your coach should be two switches to control your water heater. One looks like an ordinary residential light switch, except it has a red, lighted, toggle. This switch controls your ELECTRIC hot water heating element. On your monitor panel (the thing that shows how full your holdig tanks are) there is a rocker switch labelled "heater." This controls the PROPANE side of your water heater. The switch has a small indicator light that lets you know the propane burner is ignited.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
These photos illustrate the three switches that have been mentioned.

View attachment 11588Electric switch on water heater panel

View attachment 11589The far right switch is the water heater propane switch and indicator light.

View attachment 11590 The red switch, lower left, is the electric switch for the water heater. The switch in the first photo must be in the ON position for this interior switch to function. When it's ON, it will light up red.

I do not turn off the outside switch. The electric operation is controlled by the interior switch, as is the propane. You can run it on both, or either electric or propane, just by using the two interior switches. You must be sure the tank is full of water before turning on the electricity to it, though, or you'll burn out the element.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - Some of the "lower end" or entry level units have propane only water heaters. Sounds like you may be one.

funntheson

These photos illustrate the three switches that have been mentioned.

View attachment 11588Electric switch on water heater panel

View attachment 11589The far right switch is the water heater propane switch and indicator light.

View attachment 11590 The red switch, lower left, is the electric switch for the water heater. The switch in the first photo must be in the ON position for this interior switch to function. When it's ON, it will light up red.

I do not turn off the outside switch. The electric operation is controlled by the interior switch, as is the propane. You can run it on both, or either electric or propane, just by using the two interior switches. You must be sure the tank is full of water before turning on the electricity to it, though, or you'll burn out the element.

I assume you make sure the tank is full by drawing water through the pipes? (Yeah yeah, I know what assuming does!)

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Yep. As in, connect to city water and allow hot water to run until all the air in the pipes is expelled. I generally run the hot water in the kitchen, shower, bathroom sink and outdoor shower to assure all air is out.

JohnDar

I assume you make sure the tank is full by drawing water through the pipes? (Yeah yeah, I know what assuming does!)

Nah, I just turn on the power and hope for the best.

Of course I make sure it's filled before turning it on! Once it gets filled for the season, it stays that way, regardless of whether we leave it on while we're there or shut if off when we're not there for a few days.

Wharton

Does anyone have any idea why there is the switch by the water heater. It seems to me that we all just turn it on and ignore it. Why have it?????

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Does anyone have any idea why there is the switch by the water heater. It seems to me that we all just turn it on and ignore it. Why have it?????
Possibly for servicing? Having the ability to shut off power to the board without going into the rig? Just a guess on my part. I've seen that same switch on both electric/LP and LP only versions of water heaters.

JohnDar

Looking at the schematic, it only supplies 120V to the Hi-Limit thermostat (the 120V one) and then to the heating element. So, you could replace either from outside the rig, without having to go inside to cut power. It makes the interior switch a secondary, more of a convenient indicator that you're running electricity to the unit. Without it, you would have to turn the outside switch on/off to change between electric or propane only.

If I recall correctly, our TT had the outside switch, but none inside. There was a separate 12V switch, with indicator light, at the kitchen sink, that fired the propane for it. The monitor panel did not have a heater switch.

Wharton

Our last trailer(2001) had a switch inside for both propane and electric, none on the outside. Also, the water heater didn't need an anode rod. I personaly thought they were ancient technology in 2010.

dls1943

Being a first time owner for a week now and taking my time to fully checkout everything Hohn's post with pictures really helped me today. Finding out that he "Heater" switch on the monitor panel was an eye opener. Thanks a lot for clearing up my quetions and posting the photos.

JonV

I don't think I've ever found a poorer end user manual than the one supplied by the heater manufacturer. Thanks everyone who helped clarify things. We picked up our new BC yesterday and the water heater controls have had me scratching my bare scalp ever since. :(

Does anyone know how to make the water heater run on electric only, and not propane? (and vice versa, when i want to use propane again)

I tried flicking on the red "light switch" in the control closet, and it does nothing.
I understand the back-lit red switch means its heating via propane, which is what I'm using now.

I couldnt find how to do it in the manual.

Thanks!!

ultrafarmer

I just replaced our anode rod. It was just about to break into. It was in there for 2 years. I now have every little thing fixed and ready for a trip to AK this summer, pulling out about June 15.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just replaced our anode rod. It was just about to break into. It was in there for 2 years. I now have every little thing fixed and ready for a trip to AK this summer, pulling out about June 15.

Have fun and travel safe.