how well are you locked

slaytop

I was watching a neighbor in the park today work on his older Winnebago motorhome. He finally revealed that he was trying to get into the motorhome and he couldn't get the door opened. He was able to work the dead bolt, which was a household style lock & key, but the handle latch was locked and he didn't have a key to fit it on his person. I asked him if I could try my Heartland keys in his lock and my storage key fit his door handle lock perfectly to unlock the door.

The neighbor was puzzled how the handle was locked because he always locked the deadbolt but not the handle. His only explanation was his cat "Buddy" probably moved the interior lever that locked the handle from the inside.

The moral of the story is never underestimate the ability of your cat nor your neighbor's ability to get into your unit.

My final thought is the two key entry system would have prevented me from opening the neighbor's door even though I could unlock the handle. My door uses the same key for both locks and is definitely vulnerable to persons who have similar RV keys.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Storage keys are pretty universal. At Bristol races 2 years ago, I watched a man move from one traveler to another (about 3 total) opening up the storage compartments. After the second one I finally asked if I could help him and he said that he was a friend of all these trailers and was hunting for something, then left. I asked one of the owners when they came back about whether it was ok for someone to be going thru his trailer - he was shocked and said no. Moral of the story - we went and changed all of our outside locks ASAP.

Northern Virginia
It looks like some of the new Heartland models have a keyless entry system. Pretty cool.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yep, now you don't need a key to get locked out. I was talking to someone just a bit ago and as he entered the code the 1st time then the 2nd time and he then said well I wonder if I am going to be locked out...

Be my luck that they come out with a bio lock for the finger print and I would go out and burn my finger or cut it real bad. Never get back in. Hee Hee. Technology makes it more fun.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think the entire Western world uses the "751" key for storage compartment locks. Our entry door uses a different key, but it's still the one key for both locks.

Just a head's up on the door deadbolt. Although the lock cylinder may rotate towards the "locked" position and stop, allowing you to remove the key, the bolt may not actually have fully deployed. Especially if the opening for the bolt is not drilled out. All that's holding it is the outer molding. One of the first things I had to do to our rig was drill/cut an opening into the aluminum door frame pillar to allow the bolt to fully extend. That put the bolt behind the exterior wall panel.

Are there replacement locksets out there that are keyed differently than the standard locksets that come on the Campers? I was floored when we went looking for campers to purchase and the salesman had what he called a bump key that unlocked every unit we wanted to look in. Swapping out the 751 lockset isnt that much an issue but I looked at my main doorlock assembly and it doesnt appear to be re-keyable. So I would like to get a new one that isnt common. I dont know about you all but I dont sleep well if I know someone can easily access my camper or home.

Yianni

From what I've been told, the "bump" key will only work on the door handle lock whereas the deadbolt is keyed to fit each individual trailer.

I can't remember if any of them were deadlocked but I know he used it on the top lock. With the same Factory key opening both locks I wonder if the bump key will open both.

Yianni

I can't remember if any of them were deadlocked but I know he used it on the top lock. With the same Factory key opening both locks I wonder if the bump key will open both.

I really don't think so. When I used to take my previous trailer in for warranty work, they would tell me to be sure and leave the deadbolt lock unlocked or they would not be able to get in or work on the trailer.

Cimriver

As Yianni says, I was always told to leave the deadbolt unlocked or the dealer could not get in when in for reppairs.

olcoon

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, it makes no difference what kind of lock it is, there are only so many keys made, then they repeat the series. Especially on vehicles, so for instance, every 100th car to roll off the assembly line has the same key.

I guess a person has to add an additional deadbolt which is keyed differently for just a bit more security. However, We all know the locks only keep honest people honest.

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello everyone. Here's a thought for you. www.x10.com sells wireless complete home security systems for anywhere from $79 to $149 depending upon how many sensors and components you want. I've used these in my business for many years and find them very reliable as they double as an entry chime for any door if you wish.

I just bought one for my new 3914 and have installed wireless sensors on every exterior door. That means if anyone opens a door the alarm sounds.

The only drawback is the system works off 110 AC with a 9 volt battery backup and that little 9 volt Eveready battery only lasts a little over 24 hours. If you disconnect the AC the battery will hold the memory for you until it runs down or you plug it in again. If power is lost (i.e. you stop running the generator) AND the battery runs down then you must re-sync all the sensors with the master control panel but all that means is setting the switch to "Install" and tripping each one of the sensors again.

My intent is to hotwire the unit to a 9 volt adapter connected directly to my 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries so I'll never have to worry about it running down because of the continual recharging of the 12 volt system.

I'm happy with the x-10 products and they are easy to install and use. They also include wireless remote controls so you can arm and disarm the system from inside or outside your vehicle.

I would hope that if some crook opens a door and the alarm goes off they will be nervous enough to leave immediately. The alarm automatically resets after about 5 minutes.

Just thought you all might be interested in case no one has mentioned this before.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
As Yianni says, I was always told to leave the deadbolt unlocked or the dealer could not get in when in for reppairs.

The master key that will open any door lock, won't open the deadbolt locks even though the dead bolt is keyed the same as the door.

Hi, this topic is for me, timely. I have been concerned that I only got one key for my ssssslam doors and the other storage doors are 751's. I do not like having to carry my keys all the time. My brother in law has a coach which has power locks or keys on the bays. He just pushes a button inside and all are either locked or open. Now that would be the bees knees. Has anyone heard of this for Trailers?

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I saw something similar last summer, on sale at $149,000.00, its not much if you say it fast