Tires on a 2011 3850

shriver63

Man I have tried to ask this question repeatedly here today. Maybe the 4th time is a charm or maybe it will get deleted here too. Does anyone know what brand and size and load rating is coming on these Cyclones. Surely someone has looked at their tires. Talked to Heartland today on phone and they say whatever pallet is close by. He mentioned brands and Carlisle, loadmaster, powerking were mentioned. I would be great to know. If they are China bombs then I will need to be ready to switch out before delivery

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If it were me I would change tires as soon as you roll off the dealer's lot. If they are 16" go for Michelin XP Rib. Pricey but an excellent tire. That is what I did on my Bighorn.

FWIW
BC

skyguy

When we ordered our 3670 last yar, we were able to specify Goodyears as an upgrade from the factory. Got an excellent price, and better peace of mind while haulin down the road.

porthole

Retired
When we ordered our 3670 last year, we were able to specify Goodyears as an upgrade from the factory. Got an excellent price, and better peace of mind while hauling down the road.

I tried that last year and got nowhere.

There has been talk of the tires and on the Cyclones there seem to be fewer issues with the switch from 15" to 16" wheels. Actually for the 2010 model year I haven't seen any issues posted yet.

Rmcgrath53

I dont have your unit but had 16" china bomb goodyear marathons that were 2 years old. On my trip to Florida this christmas time all 4 tires had at least 15 bulges along the side wall. I am not overloaded and drive 65 or less on the road. I bought a set of Japan tires that are lt. I hope these last longer. The old ones didnt blow but i was highly recommeneded to get rid of them. They had some carilile st tire that had the china stamp. I refused those and went with the Lt Japan instead.

shriver63

I asked if I could request a certain brand and Heartland said whatever is on the pallet is what you get. I'm just hoping they are 6 of the same brand. I just can't see if you want to build the best RV on the road you gotta care what you are using to connect the rig with the road!! That's my point, why to the lowest bidder makes no sense. I hade a Jayco with Goodyear Marabombs and was scared to go anywhere cause I blew tires coming home from the dealer 35 miles from my house when I picked it up brand new

rvn4fun

Our 2011 3450 Ts came with Sailun G rated tires. I know they are China made, but so far I haven't read anything bad about them on the internet. I like you am worried about my tires after reading this forum and some others on the internet. When researching replacing these tires I found out that in my tire size, there were only 2 choices. The completely overpriced Goodyears or the Sailun in the G rating. There may be others that I might of missed. I know by saying overpriced I will get someone to comment on the cost of a blowout ect. I do know what a blow out can cost as I had one on my old rv. I think it was my fault though. The cost of the Sailun is less then half the price of the Goodyear. I think when I do change to new tires it will be Michellin rib even though they won't be G rated. I think we are light on what our rv weighs on the axels because we carry a lot in the truck and we don't care about how heavy we are on our hitch weight. But we will weigh before changing tires. This is our 4th 5th wheel now and I never really ever thought about weight when I bought tires. I will now, but I still think most tire failures are because of speed. We traveled down here at 62 mph from SD to Texas and I think virtually every rv on the road passed me. Some had to be traveling 75 or better. And believe it or not, some of the tires I had on prior rvs were China made, I didn't realize so many brands were made in China. Good luck on your travels and I will keep watching my tires.

gpshemi

Power Kings on our new 3612. First trip was last week to Gatlinburg (see my other post) and we lost a tire in Kentucky at 1am. I figured it had about 610 miles on it.

I took pictures of the "indents" at the PDI since I was leery of them. Guess my gut feeling was right despite all the tire dressing. All the tires had them, but the tire I took the picture of (worse one) is the tire I lost. Not sure if Heartland would do anything about it or not. I haven't called. Should I call them?
I'm not even sure what I'd have put on it. Sure would like something better.

tire3..jpg
tire2..jpg
tire1..jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would most certainly contact Heartland. They most likely will have you contact their supplier which I think is Tredit. Maybe. I hope that you saved the blown tire.
As you may have read, many people have gone to the Michelin LT or the Goodyear G-614. Some use GY Marathons. My choice was G-614.
The G-614's weigh 27#'s more than the Chinnese tires that I took off. That ought to tell you something.
Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I completely agree with Dave, I have the G-614's and I believe that a quality tire is the only way to go. As far as your indents on your tires I think that if you look at any tire you will find the same thing although maybe not as bad as the chineese tires. It is the seam where the cords are bonded together. Just run your hand over the sidewall. At least that is what I'm told by my tire people. Jon

TireHobby

This past winter we spent a few months in FL. While roaming around a large RV dealer lot we observed a couple of 35 - 38 ft fivers that had just arrived from the factory. When you can see that a ST tire is low on pressure it’s really low. Both of these new fivers had low looking tires so out of curiosity I got my tire gauge from the truck and checked them. Every one of them had 35 psi. They had come all the way from IN like that. I’ll bet at 70-75 MPH to boot. How badly are they degraded. It’s virtually undetectable. But they are not going to have a very long life expectancy with their new owner. Remember, the dealer can now change your tires before first sale. He cannot go to a lower load capacity tire but he can change brands without having to change the placard. If pressed hard enough he can upgrade to higher load capacity wheels/tires and change the placard before first sale. If the first sale has taken place you are stuck with the OEM tires and must rely on your dealer/tire warranties.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Equipment/towing/tire_safety.htm

TireHobby

p.s. None of the LRE Light Truck tires are acceptable on the 7000# axle.