Can my 2006 Honda Odyssey really pull an Edge M18 or M19?

wongh

We own a 2006 Honda Odyssey van. It has a V6 engine with 244 hp and 240 ft.lbs. of torque and we purchased the towing package which includes a transmission cooler. The towing capacity is rated at 3500 lbs. Most of the area where we would be camping will be relatively flat, although there will be some hills. We are nowhere near any mountains. We have 2 boys, ages 10 and 13. Are either a M18 or M19 a realistic purchase for our van's specs? Which one would accomodate our family better? How big is the pull-out bed in the M19? Also, how do we transport bicycles with Edge trailers? We would appreciate some buying advice.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your tow capacity is, as you have stated, 3,500 pounds. Both the M18 and M19 weigh in at 4,395. you would be 895 pounds over before even putting your sox in a drawer. Adding personal gear for 4 people and your bikes would be way too much. So as irvin56 stated, smaller, lighter trailer, or as I would say, bigger tow vehicle.

Peace
Dave

Zeman

We own a 2006 Honda Odyssey van. It has a V6 engine with 244 hp and 240 ft.lbs. of torque and we purchased the towing package which includes a transmission cooler. The towing capacity is rated at 3500 lbs. Most of the area where we would be camping will be relatively flat, although there will be some hills. We are nowhere near any mountains. We have 2 boys, ages 10 and 13. Are either a M18 or M19 a realistic purchase for our van's specs? Which one would accomodate our family better? How big is the pull-out bed in the M19? Also, how do we transport bicycles with Edge trailers? We would appreciate some buying advice.

I think your vehicle would tow either BUT you are very close to your max limit. Look again at the Edge specs and see the M18 unladen weight is 3,118 LBS. The GVWR reflects added weight that would include anything you pack into the trailer---water, food, coolers,........ The M19 dry weight is 3,240 LBS.

Try some research on Honda Odyssey forums on towing/trailers. See what others are doing... Good luck!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ooops, my mistake. Zeman is correct that the dry weight is 3,118 and 3,240. That leaves you with about 250 pounds to play with. I still think you will be pushing it.

Peace
Dave

RonBB

I have pulled my Edge M18 approximately 250 miles in the middle of Missouri (no real mountains) with no issues with a 2006 Acura MDX which is very nearly the same vehicle drive train as the Odyssey. I think my 06 MDX is rated at 254 Hp. and rated for 3,500 # of trailer, and 4500 # for a boat. Newer MDX's have higher ratings. I am told the difference in the ratings for the trailer and boats has to do with the more aerodynamic front of most boats.

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
The dealer we bought our M18 Edge from said that HL over stated the dry weight a little. (I know, can't beleive everything a sales person says.)
That's why I am on here getting real world advice...

The M18 Edge weight of 3118 is with every option available.
The unit we purchased is 3013 Lbs Dry.
I am hoping that our 08 Vue XR will not have an issue pulling it either.
I was also told that the Honda Odyssey is a really good tow vehical for the M18.
Should have no problems towing.

I see no reason to fill the H2O to the top untill you get to your destination. 1/4 full should be plenty if you have to stop to use bathroom or sink to wash up.

This is suppose to be camping (minimal stuff) Not bring the house with....

I know RV camping is different.... I am new to this myself and probably will get a larger tow vehical next year, but my wife agreed to this because we can pull it with the Vue.

Shouldn't be a problem I just would feel more comfortable with over kill tow capacity...