Weather Finally Warm But...All trips cancelled!

SilverRhino

It's been a longer, wetter & colder winter in Texas this year! Finally the weather is starting to get better and we were ready to get the BC out of storage. Already had reservations in the Texas Hill Country and in New Mexico...unfortunately had to cancel them yesterday.

I've been having issues with my back for the past few months...they have progressed to the point where my legs are numb about 95% of the time and I cannot stand for more than 5 - 10 minutes. Orthropod looked at the MRI results and said that he would not touch my back with a 10 ft pole...said my spinal cord was severely compromised in 7 different areas. So now we are waiting to meet with a neuro-surgeon to see what he has to say. Not very happy at the moment.

Went through this years ago with my cervical spine and had to have 3 vertebrae fused...never had another problem with that, thank God.

So right now the BC will stay in storage and we will have to wait to start the RV season...hopefullly the wait won't be too long!

Travel Safe!

Last edited:

Paul_in_MN

Silver,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I (and many others, as well) have medical issues that are limiting our physical capabilities. I know what that is about! But keep the dreams alive, and do the best with what you've got! Some years ago, good wife said "sell the TT, we sure don't use it much". My reply was "He!! no! I don't need the $$, and if it is sold, that dream dies." Since then I have more "good days" and we bought our HL Eagle Ridge last summer. The dream lives on!! And I'll live it to the best of my abilities. Now our son and DIL are buying a bigger 5er and want to go on some trips with us, bringing 3 grandchildren with them. New dreams, new adventures, and the love of living continues!!

I hope for a speedy and successful recovery for you, and may your dreams of travelling and camping be filled, and filled with joy!!

Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!

Paul_in_MN

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OUCH! Sorry to hear that. I had lower back surgery in 1994 for two badly herniated discs and have been good ever since. Hope you can get relief via the "heal with steel" route. I sure did.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Randy
Sorry to hear your having back problems. I to have had some Saitic Nerve problems and understand a bit of what your experiencing. My toes would go numb after about 3hrs of driving down the highway. Had to get out and walk for about 10 minutes.

Hang in there. We hope to see you on the road again.

BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Randy - sorry to hear about the back. Will put you in our thought and prayers for a speedy recovery.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Sorry to hear of your medical problems. You and your family have been added to our nationwide chain of prayer warriors. try to remember that around every corner you turn in life , God is already there. Best wishes and may God Bless and heal, Al & Dee Weaver

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Take care Randy. God heals and is good. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Surely you will be on the road again soon.

GETnBYE

I am sorry to hear your news. I think the neuro surgeon may give you a brighter outlook. I also had back surgery, I backed out of a scheduled surgery with an ortho doc and went straight to a neuro surgeon. It was the right move for me and perhaps it will work out for you also. I hope you will be getting better news soon and be camping soon.
Take care.
Nita

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Randy,
I pray that God will give the doctors wisdom to treat you properly and have a speedy recovery.

PSF513

RANDY: I am sorry to hear about this but I feel confident that the neuro will be able to help. My wife had similar surgery years ago and, after recovery, had no more problems. Get well so you can travel safely.

Ernie & Lettie

Real sorry to hear about your problem. I know that things will work out for you and you will on the road again real soon. Please take care.

SilverRhino

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement!

Will be seeing the Neuro a week from tomorrow...we are waiting to hear what they have to say before we make any plans. This is not what we planned on last June when we bought the new BC...thought we were going to be able to use it. At this point, can't even go to the grocery store, let alone take a road trip.

Praying for a smart Dr. and good news...it's in God's hands now. Trying to keep reminding myself that it can always be worse...not always easy!

SilverRhino

Well after consultations with 3 surgeons, I've decided to go ahead and have the surgery. They all agreed that if I didn't have it, the pressure on my spinal chord would only get worse and seriously compromise my mobility. Scheduled to have a 5 level laminectamy on Wed. March 17....will only need to be in the hospital overnight and they said recovery take 8 to 10 weeks.

Not the best way to spend St. Pats day.....but need to do something. Hopefully the BC will be out of storage and back on the road late May or early June.

If you have any room on your prayer list.....through a little extra one in on the 17th to help steady the surgeons hands!

Travel Safe!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wow Randy,
I wasn't following your thread until now, and am really sorry about your back predicament. As you know, I am still recovering from the same surgery, albeit only 2 laminotomies at L4-5. Laminectomies are full removal of the bones covering the nerves, and require fusions. Laminotomies are partial bone removals, which I hope that's what's they are doing to you, where they create space from your spinal cord to relieve pain. It's called decompression of the spinal cord, and will hopefully remove much of your pain and allow you to stand tall. But 5 levels, both sides? Holy Cow, bro, it took me 3 months to walk without a cane on one level both sides. Good luck on that recovery. Only the best, for a great guy like you.

Thanks so much for all the advice on my beagles Randy, I wouldn't be taking them on our first trip since my back surgery, without your sage advice. Get better soon! Give me a call if you want to discuss the surgery. One good turn always deserves another.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Randy, know that a lot of people are praying for you , your family , and for a surgeon with God's Blessed hand. Best wishes, looking forward to meeting you one day, Al and Dee Weaver

GETnBYE

Well after consultations with 3 surgeons, I've decided to go ahead and have the surgery. They all agreed that if I didn't have it, the pressure on my spinal chord would only get worse and seriously compromise my mobility. Scheduled to have a 5 level laminectamy on Wed. March 17....will only need to be in the hospital overnight and they said recovery take 8 to 10 weeks.

Not the best way to spend St. Pats day.....but need to do something. Hopefully the BC will be out of storage and back on the road late May or early June.

If you have any room on your prayer list.....through a little extra one in on the 17th to help steady the surgeons hands!

Travel Safe!

WILL DO! I was just checking in on the thread to see how you were. You may find that it is better to get it over with now and not have to worry about it getting worse. Just take care of yourself and let yourself heal after. Don't expect to much for the first few weeks and get down about it. Everyone told me I would feel wonderful the minute I woke up........NOT. I was crying for 2 weeks thinking I had made a huge mistake, THEN, all of a sudden, things just started getting better everyday, and now it has been almost 8 years without pain.
Hoping the best for you,
Nita