Another Mod too check off list

jpajax

Well this one even surprised me how it turned out. It was turning screen door into storm door have pictures with door in basement will post more tomorrow with it back on camper.

Attachments

• 0218101853.jpg
    0218101853.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 104
  • 0218101853a.jpg
    0218101853a.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have been putting lexan (a form of plexiglass) on our last 3 rigs' screen doors. Nathan has even put it on other people's rig in different campgrounds. I love having the solid door open all of the time. Just trace and cut the lexan around the edge of the screen where the lip is (a small groove around edge of the screen area), flex it in to where it pops into the lip and then put a small screw in the top and bottom of each section to hold it in place.

Last edited:

jpajax

Put mine also in grove, top panel one has only three swrews in bottom, bottom panel has none.

jpajax

Sorry took so long let see if I can explain and show how I did it. Cut the material just wide enough to go inside the grove on both sides. cut the height about 1/4" shorter with exact radius at top so it can go inside top grove. Then use a peace of PVC edging to cover gap at bottom with three self taping screws. The last photo is one on my last sob camper that didn't have inside grove but it is made where you can remove it easy, could have used velco but edge of door was wide enough.

Attachments

• 0221101039.jpg
    0221101039.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 0221101039b.jpg
    0221101039b.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

DXprowler

Jim.... nice job on the storm door! In fact it's such a good job I've done the same thing! The plexi looks so much better in the groves. Makes the mirror clips a bit of an eye sore. Did 2 previous trailers that way and once you have a storm door you can't live without it. I have a question though, did you cut down the wedge clip for the screen door handle so the plexi would slide completely over to the frame? You must have other wise the plexi wouldn't be able to go all the way over or does it?

jpajax

Oh by the way do you like the way the bedroom door opens. If not check out what I did by takeing org. door down and putting up bifold door.

Attachments

• 0224101534.jpg
    0224101534.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 0224101536b.jpg
    0224101536b.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

DXprowler

OK... when both doors are together, the screen door handle attaches itself to the solid door via a blk V shaped "clip". The handle slides down and "clips" itself to the solid door. On my door this blk V "clip" protrudes out further than the plexi when the 2 doors are attached, preventing the sliding section with the knob, to slide completely over to the screen door frame. On your door (I can see that yours is different as the 2 main plexi panels on mine are on the outside) did you have to cut down the blk V shaped "clip"? I'll post a picture later tonite.

Good idea on the bifold doors! They are a space saver!

jpajax

I see said the blind man. No mine clears about a 1/4" and the clip is more blunt on the tip end. I believe that I would call Heartland and have them send the wright part don't believe that I would cut plexi glass and if you cut the end off the clip I would be afraid that it might be hollow.

DXprowler

Tnx for the advice, cutting the clip could be problematic for sure! Think I'll leave it. Doesn't matter that much if the plexi can't close all the way with the 2 doors together anyways. As long as it does on it's own that's the important thing! Funny we both have the same model and year but different doors! Mine was an early 2010 build, end of Nov '08 I believe. The other thing that I'm sure is different is the curb side storage door. Mine open sideways and not up. I installed a small chain to prevent it from getting caught in the wind and bending. Might change the chain to a shock one of these days!

JJnLilly

jpajax did this on my last unit too but had to use mirror clips as the groove was not deep. On my Greystone it is plenty deep enough to hold on its own. Wondering how hard it is to take the top or bottom section out if needed. A friend did a similar mod, but he took the door apart to get the plexi/lexan in the grooves. DW often like to have airflow when it is not hot so she says to do it - only if we have a way to remove a section easily.

jpajax

Not to easy to get it in and out on top but bottom not hard at all. I had also had thought about putting Velcro on the door and pelexiglass so you could remove it when you wanted to easily.

jnbhobe

After my wife found some of the guys at the East Coast Rally installing the plexiglass on some rigs, she run me right to Ace hardware in Kitty Hawk to get some. Almost $50 bucks. But its installed with velcro and it works great!! another mod done Thanks Guys :cool::cool: