Winter Camping

olcoon

We will soon be getting delivery of our first RV, a 2011 Elk Ridge. We will be wanting to go on our maden voyage/shake down cruise soon after we get it, to a local state park. I think I already know the answer to this question, but here goes. I'm sure that it will be winterized when we pick it up (at least I hope it will be!), should we de-winterize it before we leave for the park, and when we get back winterize it again? I kind of think this will be a pain, but I'd like to check out as much as I can as soon as I can. Also we've got a lot to learn about this critter. I know this is a stupid question, but I'm not that savvy about this new life style that we are jumping into! Anybody got any suggestions?

grizzlygiant

It all depends on how long you leave the de-winterized coach, unheated, in sub-freezing temperatrues. If it were me living in MO this time of the year I would de-winterize before I left and turn on heat if below freezing. I would winterize once home and unheated. Antifreeze is cheap and eases the mind.

When in dought....WINTERIZE...

Your in the real cold country...so better to be safe than sorry! Congrat's on your new 5er.

Let us know how the maiden voyage goes.

trvlrerik

I think the winter shakedown camping followed by winterizing is a great way to learn about your new home. I was pretty overwhelmed at first, the only way I learned was by camping and reading a lot of threads on this forum. It is my rv for idiots manual, as the king of idiots, it has saved me a lot of times.