How do you determine the ball shank height

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Is there a chart or guideline for determining if you need a straight shank or a 1" drop etc.?
Or do you just use a tape measure?
Any videos out there on the internet that might help?

Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Your dealer should have helped set you up with the correct hitch for your trailer. At least mine did when I bought a 27 ft. TT. Same dealer/salesperson we bought the 3670 from. My hitch included weight distribution and stabilizer bars. They set the height of the hitch (it was adjustable) and attached the weight distribution bars to the correct chain location while we were finishing the paperwork. When we came out, the tech explained it all. If you're just going to pull it with a basic hitch ball, you may want to reconsider.

Short answer to your question is that the trailer, when attached to the tow vehicle, should remain level.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Invizatu, If your refering to a non equalizer hitch, a tape measure is adequate. Take a measurement of the trailer tongue while the trailer is level and buy a suitable shank for the receiver. Remember to account for a little "squattage" from tongue weight. John is correct that the end result should be a fairly level trailer & tow vehicle. For equalizer hitches, the height of the ball is adjustable as is the angle of the ball which will need to be determined for correct leverage on the EQ bars. Your dealer should help you decide which hitch to buy and it should include proper setup.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Thanks all for the info... Went ahead and got a weight distribution hitch with sway control and installed it myself. Wow, what a difference. I towed last week-end with winds of 30 to 40 mph and it was rock solid. As I was merging up on the highway I had a line of about 7 semi's come flying by at 75mph and it didn't sway at all! I feel much more confident now, no more white knuckles!!!