Chevy HVAC problem

Gary Steeves

I have a 2005 Chev 2500HD 4WD Diesel, LT with automatic dual controlled HVAC system. I have always had both sides set at 69 degrees and haven't changed it for probably 3 years - and it always worked fine in summer and winter.

Now, it blows hot air on the drivers side while blowing cold air on the passenger side. I have checked a couple fuses, but don't know where to check after that. Do I have to take it to the dealer (afraid big bucks) or does anyone have any suggestions or another forum that I could go to ??

Thanks as always for the great help from our Heartland friends. :confused:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I had the same problem on a Pontiac Grand Prix. It was a bad small motor that controlled a temperature vent door on the passenger side. I replaced it myself, the part was about $ 20.00. It took about 30 minutes to replace.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, best guess is what Terry said. Left temp door actuator has taken a dive. Not sure if you want to attempt the repair yourself. The right side is a stinker...trust me. Retired GM tech. Bob

Gary Steeves

Thanks for your response. I also checked another forum and found this fix. First, start engine. Turn drivers side temp to 60, passenger side to 90. Turn engine off. Then start engine again, turn drivers side to 90 and passenger side to 60. Tun engine off. Restart engine and set both temps to 70 (or whatever you like). Believe it or not, I tried this "fix" and it worked. Others on that same forum claimed it worked for them also. If this ends up being a temporary fix, I'll tackle the suggestions provided here by my Heartland friends.

Thanks !

porthole

Retired
Have you also tried pressing and holding the "auto" button?

This equalizes the two sides to the same temperature.

Gary Steeves

The "quick fix" did not work any more than about 24 hours - so same problem is back. I am off to the Chev service dept. in the AM.

I will report back to the forum.

$400 later and new actuator for the door about in the middle, under dash. At least the dash didn't have to come out. I'm sure I paid through the nose, but I don't have the knowledge / expertise to tackle this job. Air blows great on both sides - so back to "happy campers" . Thanks for your posts.

Last edited: