Buying a new truck

I am thinking of upgrading my truck. I now have a 2005 Dodge 2500 and am thinking of going to a 3500, F350, F450 or GMC 3500. Looking for other opinions and ideas. I am pulling a Bighorn 3370.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Al,

I moved your thread so you will have more responses from the Forum Members. I think a 1 ton dually will work great with your trailer. Another thing to think about when upgrading a truck are you in the future going to up grade to a larger trailer? If so then a F450 or a Medium Duty truck might be in order. The 2011 Chevy/GMC 3500 Dually (which will be out late summer) will tow 20,000 lbs.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I love my brand new 2010 F-450. Traded in a 2006 F-350. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. To each his own I guess

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I've always been a GM truck guy !! But put a Allison transmission and a Cummings diesel in the new ford body you might sell me a new truck !!! See your truck is a 2005 maybe you are due !! Good luck in your decision.

Niles

Why pay the new price when you can buy almost new, we upgraded to a MDT so our 2007 3500 4x4 dwr dodge is up for sale. Only 22000 miles and most of the bells and whistles. Yes this is a blatant attempt to sale my truck!!!

Last edited:

Jellystone

All 3 of the U.S. auto makers have quality vehicles to meet your towing & on the road comfort needs. The dually by design provides the most stable platform for towing trailers, period. Which ever make & model you choose, just be sure that it's tow rating gives you more than you actually need. Do not trust a salesperson's figures on what the vehicle can pull (and stop)--do the research/math yourself by using the actual #'s printed on the manufactures weight label & the Towing Guide for general reference. Don't forget the axle ratio-the better the #, the better the rating will be (ex. 4.10:1 or higher numerically). Deals on HD trucks are out there--Good Luck.

Delaine and Lindy

Let me say up front, I have only bought GM Trucks because of the Duramax/Allison. I believe that the GM 3500HD for 2011 will be the best towing Truck in 2011, simply because the GM Duramax/Allison is a proven combo and has only made changes to improve the combo since GM went with the Duramax/Allison. And with the upgrades GM is making on towing ratings etc, it only made the Truck a better Truck. What I have read about the Ford Super duties is Ford has actually lower the ratings, smaller tires and changes that made a big difference from the first new F-450 Superduties (2008). Ford is trying to reduce the weight to improve the fuel mileage. And they are now building their own Diesel engine in Mexico??? I really hope Ford does good with the new Diesel, but only time will tell. As for Dodge/Ram I really like the Cummins. Keep in mind my experience has only been with the GM Trucks and never every had a issue with GM Trucks. My experience with the Cummins was in the Class 8 Trucks such as Frieghtliner, Peterbilts etc. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.......

P.S. It will be interesting to see what the HP/TQ ratings are for teh 2011 Trucks.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Al, we have a 3370 also. Pulled it the first year with an F-250 PSD. It pulled it fine, stopped it fine, but for all the benefits the 7.3 motor had, the trans was a piece of junk. We happend to get one of the models built during an experimental transmission stage of about 6 months. Kept blowing seals. We were heading off for a long trip and needed a truck, found an 05 F-350 crew cab, long bed dually lariat with a B&W already installed. Night and day difference in pulling. Tow/haul mode is worth the difference in price. No matter what brand you get, I'd urge you to get a dually.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also had an '05 Dodge 2500 diesel which didn't have any problems pulling our BC but in Mar 09 we ordered a new 3500 srw diesel. The only reason we got the 09 was because the jake brake could not be added to the 05 transmission. Dodge then changed to the Aisen transmission instead of the cheaper one with the jake brake option on the 2500 and standard on the 3500. We pulled the Big Horn mountain range last summer and never touched the brake with the jake brake on. Wonderful addition.

palebluedot

I drive Al Gore's worst nightmare. An 02 Dodge Cummins with 43K miles that has not a hint of any EPA mandated enviormental crap. The 02 was the last year that came from the factory without EGR, catalytic converter, particle filter or (ghast!!) Urea. The transmission is a cast iron cased manual weighing over 300 lbs. I have cruised the lots, and yes, the new ones are nice and shiny and have the built in brake controllers, exhaust brakes and navigation systems - stuff that I have added. Honestly, I haven't seen anything that I felt would do a better job of getting me and the camper from point A to B than what I have now. We went through 12 states and over 9K miles this spring and not a single problem with the TV. The best part is no more monthly payments. At a rest stop in Utah a fellow commented as to it being extremely loud. I told him, yeah, it is the last of the REAL diesels.

DMitch

I have always owned GM. Never had any problems with them. I have a 3500 Chev w/durmax and I really like what it can do towing my BH3580. I now have 24,000 on it and it performs flawlessly. I do think the cummins and powerstoke guys are getting better milage. The best I can do towing is 10 MPG. This year coming to FL from VT I averaged exactly 10. My buddies with the Fords and Dodges say they are getting better. Good luck with whatever you choose. I do think if I was in the market right now I'd be looking for a 08 or 09 with really low mileage. The new trucks are going to have the new Urea emissions systems and I'm not sure I would want one.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been pulling my 3370RL with my '02 GMC 2500 with no problems with either power or stopping. As stated by others, the new trucks are shiny and have all the bells and whistles that we already have installed, and best of all, no payments!

RSIG

I presently have an 08 GMC 3500 dually and would not hesitate buying another. The 2011 model has every feature needed to tow a trailer in comfort and safely especially with the available exhaust brake for 2011. I tow a 3670 with ease.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I drive one of those "paid for" brands also. Pulls great and have put all the bells and whistles on it. NO payments, No problems, NO dealer hassle, NO put this on or that on, NO buy this or buy that, it simple pulls and is paid for. I find it almost funny what some will pay for what they consider safe. OH WELL it's only money!

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
OK, c'mon guys and gals we all know that the best vehicle on the road is the "one thats paid for!" ;) At that point fuel mileage complaints needs to have an asterisk besides them!

PUG

Pug
After investigating all three manufacturers and my needs and having had an 02 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax, I decided on the 3500 Dodge Megacab, short box, dually with the Cummins. I drove truck years ago and the Cummins was my choice of all the different engines made. The 6.7 cummins is used in all kinds of applications such as mining, commercial trucks, etc. etc. The dually has made a huge difference in the stability and the power and Aison transmission are very nice not to say how nice the Jacobs brake is that is standard on the engine. I have had no issues and love this truck. I have always been a Chevy fan and had a Dodge years ago and it was a piece of crap but it is obvious they have cleaned their act up and now have a quality product. I have been traveling pulling a 3950 now for 3 years and have talked to a lot of vehicle owners and the Dodge won out.