Newbie loading questions

robnmo

We've got 2 Harley's and have owned/ridden harleys most of our adult life, but this is our 1st toyhauler and RV and I feel like a complete idiot about this thing. I've lowered the loading ramp several times, looked at it, slipped and fell on it, skinned up my knees on it, cracked my shin on it, watched our dog slip and slide all the way down it.................................and have yet to get the nerve to take the bike up it. I can use any pointers, or what to expect from some experienced people on here. The DO's and DONT'S and what to expect. Hooked to the truck with wheels chocked or on the jacks with wheel's chocked? If on the jacks, do we want them extended as far out as possible to lower the garage area? Do we need the bike tires side blocked to avoid side slippage while in transit? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

porthole

Retired
What are you planning on for the front wheel chocks?

I use at least 4 straps. With 2 in the rear (crossed) there is no side slippage.
My ramp is not as slippery as yours seems to be, but I was concerned the first time I took it up the ramp. I doubt I would ride up if the ramp and or tires where wet.
I do plan on adding a winch tot eh front of the garage for those days when the ramp to garage height is just too much and for wet days.

As to backing the bike out; I would strongly suggest you do not leave the bike in neutral and use the front brake. If you start backing down a little faster then you are comfortable you will lock the front wheel and it will slide and you most likely will drop the bike.

I leave my bike in first gear (engine off) and use the clutch as a brake. Just by the motion of backing down the ramp you are loading the tire and getting maximum traction. You would be surprised how smooth it is just feathering the clutch.

I have loaded/unloaded both hooked to the check and unhooked. The higher the nose of the trailer is the lower the entrance height to the garage.

You just have to do it so you can prove to yourself you "can do it"

robnmo

Duane

Thanks, I didn't know what affect having the Cyclone hooked to the truck would have on movement as the bike goes up the ramp (rocking effect of truck & trailer). All the years we've had Harley's we've only hauled one on one occassion and that was in the bed of a truck, we've always ridden so this is a completely new experience. The Ms said she's loading hers 1st and on the refridge side that way she'll only take out the fridge instead of my bike AND land in the living room through the glass interior door. ;-) I've seen where many bolt down wheel guides to avoid side slippage in transit, but I really don't want to install permant guides on the floor if not needed. And yes the ramp does seem pretty slick, even with the rough finish that's on it. Guess on the 1st attempt (which hopefully will happen in a week or so) I'll just double/triple check the insurance policy on both the bikes AND Cyclone and make sure the dogs are in the house. ;-)

trvlrerik

I had a problem with my wife mopping the floor and not rinsing the soap enough. The floor was dry, but wet tires (or even shoes) will slide around like ice skates.

porthole

Retired
Thanks, I didn't know what affect having the Cyclone hooked to the truck would have on movement as the bike goes up the ramp (rocking effect of truck & trailer). All the years we've had Harley's we've only hauled one on one occassion and that was in the bed of a truck, we've always ridden so this is a completely new experience. The Ms said she's loading hers ST and on the re fridge side that way she'll only take out the fridge instead of my bike AND land in the living room through the glass interior door. ;-) I've seen where many bolt down wheel guides to avoid side slippage in transit, but I really don't want to install perm ant guides on the floor if not needed. And yes the ramp does seem pretty slick, even with the rough finish that's on it. Guess on the ST attempt (which hopefully will happen in a week or so) I'll just double/triple check the insurance policy on both the bikes AND Cyclone and make sure the dogs are in the house. ;-)

I have put the bike in and out both connected and on the jacks. I had way to much on my mind to notice whether it made the truck move or not. So for that part I would not worry about it. Unless your plan is to lower the landing gear as far as it will go which will lower the rear of the trailer for you.

I use wheel chocks for the bikes. The trailer below is my motorcycle trailer. I have two chocks and three plates bolted to the floor. The chocks use two bolts to hold them to the plates.

I don't have them yet, but by spring time I will have two more plates to bolt down in the Cyclone.
I like using wheel chocks. The Bike Pro's that I use are about $150 on ebay, sometimes cheaper. Extra plates are about $30.

I like these because I can strap the front wheel down to the chock, this way you are not pre-loading the suspension excessively. That is some thing you have to be concerned with, especially with an oil cooler. The cooler can hit the fender!

Attachments

• Trailer_02_001..jpg
    Trailer_02_001..jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Bike_Pro_strap..jpg
    Bike_Pro_strap..jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 53

porthole

Retired
If you have short legs making the transition from the ground to the ramp can be tricky if you stop. There will be a point where you may not be able to touch the ground.

Take a deep breath, try not to get too anxious over it.

If you stall the bike don't panic and grab the brake, just let the clutch out, remember most of your traction will be on the rear tire.

If you do stall and pull the clutch in and grab the front brake you most likely will lock up the front tire and it will slide out from under you.

If and when you stall out, just ease on back down the ramp using the clutch with the engine doing the braking, get it on flat ground and try again.

Of course you could try loading like I do in the pictures below. Kind of cheating, but it gets the job done when we are leaving.

Attachments

• D30_4854b..JPG
    D30_4854b..JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 84
  • D30_4853_b..JPG
    D30_4853_b..JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 92

robnmo

I like your loading spot, maybe we'll just ride to your house and borrow your driveway and street. LOL Thanks for the replies, the down side is if we're talking "short legs"...........that pretty much sums us up, we're both vertically challenged!!!! Soon as the snow goes, we're gonna see how this plays out. Thanks

porthole

Retired
The warmer the ramp the better the traction (goes for being dry too).

Drop the ramp and let it soak up the sun a bit before you try it in the cold

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
When I left northeast Nebraska at the end of January, I had to load the bike after dark - with snow on the ground! You can do it!

I currently use 4 ratchet straps on mine, but sure am looking at the mount in this link.

Detmer

You can do it. I run two harleys in mine and yes it is a snug fit but do-able. I will admit the first couple of times you do it, it is nerve racking.
Just aim and go. Do not try and stop on the way up. Just go. My two bikes are lowered so I had a real concern about bottoming out when I went over the crest. There were several trailers that I looked at before I bought the Cyclone that this did happen to me. Talk about nervous.
I just have regular style pingle wheel chocks. nothing fancy. Work fine. On the metal portion of the ramp edges and entrance I painted white markings. Just align your front wheel on the marks and go. Gives you something to aim for.
As far as backing down, like someone else mentioned put the bike in 1st gear and use the clutch to control it. That takes a bit getting use to because it works opposite of the brake, you pull the lever in to move the bike.
Do not use the brake. You will just slide down the ramp.
Some one else mentioned about being short and there is a certain spot where your legs do not reach the ground. That is somewhat true. I am 5"-6" and I can tell you that when coming down when the rear wheel is on the ground and the front wheel is still on the ramp there is a spot where I cannot touch. But again once you get to that point just keep going.
My best advise is whether going in or out just try and do it in one fluid/ easy motion.
Hopes this helps. let us know how you make out.
Also just to let you know I have done it both ways. With the trailer hooked to the truck and not hooked to the truck.
Just make sure the ground in back where you drop the ramp is not sloping away from you.
Good Luck.

robnmo

Detmer, thanks for the insight.

I've lowered her Wide Glide but she's still tippy toed on unlevel ground, I think her biggest concern is unloading at this point from what everyone has posted. I like the idea of markings on the ramp door for alignment, thanks. If the weather keeps going the snow might be gone next week, and we'll give this a try. I'll let ya know how it goes (hopefully it won't be AFTER calling the insurance company) LOL

Thanks again for everyone's tips

Detmer

Here is another thing that I forgot. I have the wheel chocks staggered a bit so they handle bars don't end up next to each other when the bikes are loaded. They get pretty close when two bikes are in the trailer together.I have the traditional bat-wing style HD fairing on my bike and it is wide.
They front wheel of one bike goes all the way to the wall, my garage is 10' deep. And then the other bike goes in and the wheel chock is mounted abut 9-12 inches more towards the back.
This could be more dependant on what type of bars you have on each of the bikes though. Just something to keep in mind.

TNT

When we got our Cyclone a year ago, we too slipped down the ramp. We had 2 other toy haulers before and that had never happened before. You should be able to stand in the middle of the ramp and not move. We took it back to the dealer and they had never seen it so slick. They took video of their service manager sliding down the door standing up and sent it to Lippert. We then had to pay someone to re-coat our door and send the bill to our dealer who forwarded it to Lippert. We received a check a month later. The door/ramp is much better and no sliding.

I usually load her up attached to TV and when we get set up I take the bike out to ride during the day and put her back in for the night not attached to TV, no problems either way. Had a friend handy with iron duplicate a Steadymate 80014 Motorcycle Wheel Chock for anytime the bike is in the toy hauler, during travel or stationary. Have put a Road Glide and a 2 up Can Am 4 wheeler in a 3210 garage together many times no problem.

Good Luck and good riding!

plumberdude

hi robnmo,
we a 3914 dw has a hondawing trike i have the 08 roadglide. being 5' 7'' the door is a bit of a challenge. we decided to turn my bike around and roll out.
we just got our 5th wheel in 11 09. our frist real trip will be at the end of march. our very frist trip(IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT THAT) was in the great state of Texas, and it rain snowed and so cold you had to put every thing you own to ride.NOT FUN.
weel good luck on your adventure, have fun
pat- lori