First Time Truck & 5th Wheel owner from Scotland

argyll1st

Hi all, I will be traveling to Canada this spring to try and buy a new home & business, I will be buying a new 5th wheel and a used pickup to tow it with, as I sit here in Scotland trying to find a dealer who can sell me both it has been suggested by my wife that I log on and ask the experts ( thats you guys ) for some help in my hunt, I see loads of "Blowout" sale prices on 2009 model Rvs with them showing crazy MSRP but I am finding it hard to wade threw them all, I need a dealer in the norther half of the US who can steer me in the right direction as your pickups vary in price and size so differently from here, I have been looking on ebay at Holman and they seem to look good but cant find any dealers in Canada that look competitive on price in comparison......................Help

Niles

Check out the items for sale on this forum, there are some good prices on RV's if you don't mind used. And there is a selection of good used trucks also. Our Dodge is listed there. Only problem would be you might have to do a little more traveling to get the units paired.

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
contact crazyscotsman he has a ford he is trying to sell.

His name is Ken and here is where you can contact him directly
//heartlandowners.org/member.php/4840-CrazyScotsman
as far as dealers go well not promises but we used http://www.terrytownrv.com/
we are located in South West Michigan good luck

Mike

driver311

try rvsforless in knoxville . he just sold a truck and trailer to a couple in canada. they picked it up sat.

Dave012

If you're going to be importing the trailer and truck into Canada, since it sounds like you'll be living here, you will need to make sure they can be registered in Canada. I've never imported directly from the US before so I'm no expert on this, but the trailer likely has to be certified, and the truck may need to be modified to show km's on the speedometer and odometer. Not sure if other changes are required.

You will likely also have to pay duty on the trailer, if new. Not sure about a used truck.

If you're looking to move here, post that, and then others can chime in on import requirements.

argyll1st

Thanks for that I will what you guys have on the for sale page, But I think I may have found the 5th wheel at least, I am looking at a 2010 Sundance 3300RLB @ xxxx new, I hear what you are saying about importation Tax ,that could be an issue, would it make a differance if the dealer delivered it over the border ? then I coulb buy a canadian truck ? also has anyone any experience of the Model of Sundance as I would be buying it Blind.

Cheers
John

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
argyll1st, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. A short drive south of Toronto, in Northeast MI. (lower peninsula) there is a good internet dealer. Lakeshore RV. They have very good pricing and you can find them on ebay. I'm not familiar with all of the red tape for brining a rig from the US into Canada but there are many Canadian friends on our forum that can help you there.

argyll1st

Thanks I will look them up right now, I have also posted a "wanted" thread incase anyone has what I need.
Cheers

Dave012

I have a 2010 3300RLB which I bought in Canada, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for you to import it. The spec sheet on my trailer from Heartland shows it having a CSA Certification which is what I think you may need. You may want to contact either the dealer or Heartland to see whats involved in that or what else is needed.

argyll1st

Hi dave I see you pull your sundance with a F350, Do you think I would need such a big truck or would a 250 or 150 ? do the trick

Dave012

The F350 handles it just fine, which makes my wife less nervous, and therefore me happy. Happy wife, happy life.

No way with an F150 as the trailer is way over that trucks weight limits. You were looking for a used truck, so you should look up the tow rating for the specific truck to see if it could handle it. You should be able to find one of their towing guides for the particular year on the internet relatively easily, or ask someone here. A new F250 diesel should handle it, and should be within the weight rating as per Ford's 2010 towing guide. Others are more knowledgeable than I in this regard and can answer that better.

argyll1st

Looks like the F350 it will be then, we are looking at business options out in Canada and the bigger truck may be handier for some stuff in the long run, So thats one thing decided.
Next Question , What would I be looking to spend on a hitch or would I be better converting the whole thing to a gooseneck..............................cheers