What gauges do I NEED

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK gang! Keep in mind, I'm on a budget. I'm considering buying a Superchip's Programmer to get a couple extra ponies and a bit more torque out of BART. I know there are many tuners and programmers out there but I have had good experience in the past with a Superchips on a gas truck and they are reasonably priced on ebay. $319 for the newest version.
The question! What gauges should I have. Thanks!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Ray,

IMHO,

Three guages are a must on a diesel-Pyrometer and a boost guage. If you want a little extra, consider a Scanguage which will give you manifold pressure ( with a little math you can get straight boost from that reading). It will also give you a few other readings like fresh air intake temp., fresh water temp etc(a little more real time than a guage). On a GM product it cannot give you trans temp. which is the third guage that is a must but the GMs give that to you already in the DIC.

Rmcgrath53

I have the boost and Exgaust temp. I dont know if the chevy has a trans temp. Mine is about as good as an idiot light so I am considering a trans temp guage to add to the 2 I have. With the allison I dont know if it is required

porthole

Retired
If you only add one guage make it a pyrometer.
Then a boost guage and if you want to have three guages on the piller add a differential temp, but you will most likely need an aftermarket cover for that.

If you use the Banks programmer with the PDA display you will get a pyrometer with it. And it will have a digital trans and engine temp along with a variety of other readouts.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ray, I would go with the EGT (pyrometer) and the boost gauge. Try not to get the EGT over about 1250* when pulling hard. Dont want to melt the pistons. I have been thinking about a differential temp gauge. But you have to install a aftermarket diff cover and run a wire all the way to the front of the truck. Still just thinking about it. Bob

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for all the replies. I was pretty confident I would hear pyrometer/EGT gauge. I suppose I'll end up with the boost gauge as well. What I like about the programmer is the ease of use and removal. Very simple.

jpajax, The Edge is out of my price range. I also had some issues last year with a dealer that did a little work to the connection in the engine compartment where the Edge would plug in. I'm not comfortable with the work that was done. It's been repaired by a different dealer but I plan on leaving it as it is. I'm afraid if I were to disconnect ECU cable, I might have trouble with the pins re-aligning correctly. Long story.:mad:

porthole

Retired
The GM has a trans temp in the dash.

I am also using a shut down timer, although not the BD kit. Mine is fairly simple, press a button for how many minutes you want it to run after removing the key. I usually let th engine run until the pyro temp drops to 299

RollingHome

Ray, I've been looking at gauges too. I think I'm going to go with a digital type which plugs into the OBD II port. I think I'm going with the Bully Dog II from alligatorperformance.com It's about $250.00 plus mount. They do sell an A-Pillar mount for it, you have to color match the pillar by painting it. This is true for other A-pillar gauge pods too. The digital unit gives you all the gauges mentioned and a whole lot more. You can even read your trucks trouble codes (maybe reset too). In addition, the Bully Dog supposedly has a program that will aid in optimizing driver fuel milage...I'm not sold on that yet. For more dollars, another unit lets you program your chip on the go. Check out alligatorperformance.com AUTO-ZONE also sells a stand alone unit (has it's own housing) that's similiar to the Bully Dog with a few less bells & whistles for a few less dollars ($189.00).

davebennington

I have a 3 gauge pod installed on our Dodge. It houses the boost, egt/pyrometer and transmission temp(taken from the hot output line). In my opinion the egt and tranny temp are the most important ones to keep track of, as far as the boost the trucks PCM will shut the fuel off (defuel if you will) the boost gets to high. The only other gauges I would be looking at would be differential temp and fuel pressure. Fuel pressure because the fuel pumps on the new diesels can be somewhat unreliable and if it shuts down there isn't any warning like the old gas rigs of yesteryear. The differential temp gauge is just for my piece of mind and I think it would be neat to have. Now where to put all of these extra gauges is another story completely.

I have also installed a Mag-HyTec double deep transmission pan as well as a Mag-Hytec differential cover.

Dave

SilverRhino

On my Dodge I have a three gauge pod on the "A" pillar that house EGT, Turbo Boost and Tranny Temp gauges. On the steering column I have a Fuel Pressure gauge and mounted in the dash is a Rear Diff Temp gauge. I think this set-up pretty well covers everything I need.....I would never go without the EGT and Tranny Temp gauges, they are probably the most important.