A couple of neophite questions?

boydk2001

I just got back from spending the weekend at our local city park. Yeah, I know couldn't I go farther out? Well the short answer is no. With the wife working this weekend and the 5er sitting in front of the house, it was a "heck lets just go to the city park". So we did. While she worked I puttered around and came up with a couple of questions.

After set up on Friday, I noticed an overwhelming sewer oder coming from the basement of our 2900MK Sundance. Very strong and I could hear what sounded like a vent fan coming from inside the wall behind the entrance closet and the toliet room. I couldnt figure out were the smell was coming from or why the wall was making the noise. Saturday morning the smell was gone and the noise had stopped.

The second question i have is concerning the battery in the front compartment. Saturday morning while poking around in the compartments still trying to figure out the smells. i put my hand on the battery box which was very hot to the touch. The battery was also uncomfortably warm. I disconnected the battery and just left it disconnected but now that I am home I am wondering if this heat is normal or not. I wouldn't think so but I am new to this wonderful world of 5th wheeling.

Any ideas? Oh and it was an awesome weekend out. I love our Sundance.:)

rvn4fun

The sewer odor sometime appears after traveling. It depends on wind ect. Some rver's install a turning vent thing to there vent pipe to combat this odor. It works by creating low pressure on the vent pipe causing the odors to be drawn up. We have this problem sometimes. I assume the huming you hear is the converter running behind the wall. It is trying to charge your battery. Just guessing it could be a couple of things. Maybe a dirty cable or more probably a dead cell in the battery causing it not to take a charge. This would cause battery to get very hot. Or possibly converter is not charging correctly. I had a problem on my batteries, even though they were fairly new, they had froze up and had a slight bulge on the ends, causing converter to run all the time , but they would not take a charge. You can check this with a amp meter. After rereadding your post, maybe your battery was just low and the converter was just working hard to charge the battery. This will happen with a low battery charge after non use. So everything might be working fine.

boydk2001

rvn4fun,
thanks for the input. Never thought about the connverter. That makes sense, as does the sewer oder.
I knew i could count on someone from here to set me on the right path.
Thanks again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would monitor the battery closely. A hot battery can be the indicator of a serious problem with a loose connection close by, bad cell(s), etc. Hopefully, it was just caused by needing the full re-charge. Just keep an eye on it the next time you're out. Happy camping!