Torn between two different models...help!

ihsolutions

I need help. Last Thursday I ordered a new Big Horn 3410RE. The salesman told me that within 7-10 days I could change my options selection or the model itself with no penalty, until such point as it gets scheduled for production.

My wife and I are torn on whether we should stay with the 3410RE or our second choice (depending on when you ask), the 3185RL. We have another few days before we need a final decision.

Sometimes a second opinion is helpful, or maybe you all might see something I don't.

3410RE:
Pros...
- More open floor plan
- Lighter pin weight (1790 dry)
- King size bed

- Large front closet to hang stuff

Cons...
- Little counter space
- Little room to walk around bed due to king-size
- Partially obstructed rear view due to entertainment center
- The slideout containing the recliners is small, such that you cannot turn the chairs much without them hitting each other or the wall. Not an optimal situation for viewing TV.

3185RL:
Pros...
- Gorgeous kitchen
with lots of storage and counter space
- Does not have the problem with recliners hitting each other
- 2 feet shorter than 3410RE (35ft) important to us since we use state parks

Cons...
- Only a queen size bed (parallel to coach)
- No front closet to hang stuff
- No W/D hookups, which is irrelevant to me, but may affect resale
- Little open floor space, especially with slides retracted, can't get to rear at all
- Heavier pin weight (~2200lbs dry)

Now my wife is in love with the kitchen on the 3185Rl, especially if we order them in cherry. It looks fantastic, and I think the kitchen area is very functional. The 3185RL is about $500 cheaper than the 3410RE.

I know this is a matter of personal choice but I'd love any insight you guys have, either due to experience with these units or things you'd look for on your next rig that we may not be considering. Here are links to the floorplans...

Big Horn 3185RL

Big Horn 3410RE

RoadJunkie

I just let my wife choose, you don't have a chance of being happy unless she is. Having said that, and purely based on the floor plans, I like the kitchen/living area of the 3185 and I don't believe the lack of washer/dryer would be a big deal at resale. The side closet is unique and out-of-the-box design but looks just as efficient as the front closet. It's interesting, but some of those who have a king bed wish they had a queen and vice versa. Some have gone to (what I would consider) extreme measures, like slicing their king beds to make them into queens.

Either way, congratulation on the new rig, it's going to be tough to wait!

ihsolutions

I've had the same thought on the queen vs. king bed issue. I really do like, however, all the hanging closet space in the front closet models. It's just so much easier to take a bunch of hanging clothes on hangars than to fold up all that stuff (and then not wear most of it, according to my wife.

Some have commented, on another forum, that the peninsula kitchen on the 3185 looks great but is not as functional as you would expect. ie, having to walk around and out of the kitchen constantly, for example. I'm wondering if anyone with a 3185RL has found this to be the case?

rvn4fun

We have a 3450ts Big Country that is similiar to the 3185 from stairs back. Wife loves the kitchen peninsula, one of the two reasons we bought it. The floorplan is almost identical to the Landmark Grand Canyon. She says it defines the rooms in the camper? and keeps 2 people out of her kitchen. I personally have reservations against the 3410 floorplan because of the back tv. Everything rides so rough in the back end of any rv unless you have a air hitch. On our old 5th wheel we removed a back chair and installed a small chest freezer. When we stopped for the night we opened the door on the rv and found meat that had bounced out of chest freezer on the floor, and I never remember even hitting any major bumbs. That was before the air hitch however. That said, as in above post stated if the wife is not happy, you will never be.

ihsolutions

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

When I got a hold of Tim at Heartland about swapping the 6000lb axles for 7000lb axles, and found out the price difference was $1,500, I decided to go with the 3670RL, which had those standard already, and also achieved the best of both worlds in the two floor plans we were considering.

It's a little heavy, and I'm going to have to load very carefully to stay close to my GVWR, but I think we made the right decision.

We ordered the cherry wood, leather, 2nd fantastic fan, and upgraded tires (Goodyear 614's).