Buying in the US and exporting to Canada

argyll1st

Hi all, I will be buying a new 5th wheel this week and need some advice,
If I buy a new RV in the US do I need to pay local Taxes
If I dont pay the local taxes do I need to pay at border ( peace arch vancouver )
will a sundance come with the CSA certification as standard or will I need further inspection.
I am a UK citizen and dont have perminant residance in US or Canada so have no fixed address.

Loads of questions here so any answers would be great.

Thanks in advance
John:eek:

CrazyScotsman

Come on all you Canadian's who bought in the US and exported to Canada, help my fellow Scot out.
John, I know some Brits and Europeans have come over here and bought a car or camper in US and used it while they were here on holiday, and sold before they left.
Now with all this new immigration stuff going on, it may be harder to do.
I dinnae ken fer sure laddie, but I am sure someone will ken the answer.

loafer

John go to Importing an rv into Canada on the internet and you will get some tips on what to do to bring into Canada
Trailer must be inspected which Canadian Tire does here I beleive you pay approx $300.00 dollars to customs and bring paperwork to Canadian tire to show you have paid and they will do inspection . You must gave title and registration with you when you want to come across into Canada.
I also beleive its at this time that you will pay taxes as well .
Please check out the websites as there are a few and they will help you . You can also go to Customs Canada and look there.
If you know ahead of time which border crossing you can fax ahead your registration and title along with value that you paid at least 3 days and
customs will have your paperwork ready for you .This will save you a wait at the border.
My .02 cents worth
Good luck i have been told its not difficult just have everything ready before you get there.
Hope this helps
Bill

argyll1st

Thanks for that, I am getting the feel for this now but, I am struggling to get to the bottom of the Tax issue, the websites are not specific and send you all round the houses, I am trying to get an answer to. On a new RV ( Sundance 3300 ) entering Canada do I pay an Importation Tax at te border and if so , how much, all the sites I look at say " you may have tax to pay" I really dont want to hit the border and get ,lets say PST & GST whacked onto the price at the BC Border, and if the dealer delivers to a park in BC for me do I dodge the Tax bullet ?

argyll1st

Thats the 5th wheel sorted out , I have just bought a new loaded Sundance 3300RLB, I think ( Hope ) its the right thing for me as a firt time buyer, I am sure there will be lots and lots to learn about setting one of these up. Now I am on the hunt for a good F350 truck, the 5th wheel is in Sylvania Ohio, so the closer the better to there. I am now an official Heartland man !!!

jnbhobe

Thats the 5th wheel sorted out , I have just bought a new loaded Sundance 3300RLB, I think ( Hope ) its the right thing for me as a firt time buyer, I am sure there will be lots and lots to learn about setting one of these up. Now I am on the hunt for a good F350 truck, the 5th wheel is in Sylvania Ohio, so the closer the better to there. I am now an official Heartland man !!!

argyll1st; Take a look at K2's truck (crazzyscotsman) It's a loaded F-350 Kingranch CC with everything including hitch and not that far from Ohio

Barry & Alana

Thanks for that, I am getting the feel for this now but, I am struggling to get to the bottom of the Tax issue, the websites are not specific and send you all round the houses, I am trying to get an answer to. On a new RV ( Sundance 3300 ) entering Canada do I pay an Importation Tax at te border and if so , how much, all the sites I look at say " you may have tax to pay" I really dont want to hit the border and get ,lets say PST & GST whacked onto the price at the BC Border, and if the dealer delivers to a park in BC for me do I dodge the Tax bullet ?

If your not Canadian, and have no address - why wouldyou worry about crossing the border and paying duty or gst? (and pst for BC).

beardedone

Beardedone
It will depend on where he wants to register it. If he has an Alberta address he would only have to pay the 5% GST because we don't have a provincial sales tax. Also vehicle and trailer registration is cheaper in Alberta.

argyll1st

Yes I hear what you say about just going "A" Wall but I will need to apply for new resistration after the 31 day travel tags expire and I dont want any trouble from DMV when it turns out the thing is in Canada with 2 non nationals and no proper customs documentation, In these days of anti-terror laws the last thing I need is get pulled over by robo cop ...........

debandal

Hi John, we bought a 3400 Bighorn out of Lake Shore RV in Michigan in Sept of 08. We had it delivered to the border at Coutts AB. All we paid, was the GST on th full price at the border, and we were not there more than 15 minutes. Next step is to contact Registar of Imported Vehicles. You can do this on there website and they will fax you the forms you will take to Canadian Tire to have the trailer inspected. About a 15 or 20 minute Job. After it is inspected fax the forms back to them and they will charge you $204.75 and then send you a sticker to put on the trailer. Thats it you are done. Good luck, hope this helps.
Al

argyll1st

This the kind of reply I like, nice and positive, My only fear is that as a non National, they may look at us as possible illegal flight risks as without a perminant US/CA postal address we could disapear into the hills and never be seen again !!! How do the full timers work there mail and license/insurance stuff, you cant change address everytime they move can they ?

labbysmom

Hi John
We are in the process of doing this as well. We leave Sunday for California to pick up our factory ordered Bighorn. At first the idea was daunting but after careful research we convinced ourselves it was the best route especially after saving 20K on the same unit in Canada. As far as the Cdn tire inspection goes, its our understanding that all you need do is show up for the inspection (check which stores do this) and pay your money to get your ok. This may be a change from when Al bought in 08.
After the inspection we take the rig for visual inspection and confirmation of VIN to our insurance company and buy the insurance and at that time pay the PST.

Diane

PS our dealer is giving us a 30 day insurance permit so we can trip around the USA before heading back to Canada. Are we excited yet? :confused: