What is the Landmarks travel weight? (before stuff)

rock

I was wondering if any of you would post your rigs weight before you added all your stuff. I am having a hard time with all the fifth wheels I look at figuring out which ones I can actually tow. The dry weights are overly optimistic in every way even if it includes most features that are standard. Some manufactures are worse than others and you don't know who is who.​
I can't decide between the Shenandoah or the Mt Rushmore because like other manufacturers the dry weight is not really a valid representation of a true trailer weight with propane in your tanks and water in the lines and in the water heater. If anyone knows the weight of their rig before all their stuff I would very much appreciate your response. Thanks

BigBlue

BigBlue
Sorry, I didn't weigh before we loaded up. i do know we are at about 17,500 after everything is on board. That includes propane but no water since I don't travel with water aboard. This is for a Monticello.

BluegrassMan

Rock:

According to the spec sheet, my Grand Canyon was to weigh 12,500 with 2300 pin weight. Then came the granite countertops, add another 500lbs. or so. You can't hardly get away with anything under 13K on any Landmark. Just my opinion, there are posts here with trailer weights, you'd have to go back to the archives fo posts to find them

jbeletti

Rock,

Like Jim and Denny, I cannot give you my empty weight, but I can tell you that many are finding their Heartland units hitting very close to the sticker weight, not including granite, dual panes and 2nd A/C.

No exactly what you are looking for, but in the 2006 International Rally sub-forum here, under a Weights thread is an image that contains the loaded weights of about 20 rigs, by model. It will at least give you a sense for how some of us are sitting, ready to roll.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Rock;
:confused: The big question is what do you plan to pull it with? My Grand Canyon runs between 16 and 16,500 as we travel without water in holding tanks and fresh water tanks. I don't have Granite but do have dual A/C's with heat pumps, dual pane windows, larger brakes, some reduction in standard furniture etc. So, when it started, 12,500 was realistic but with options and reductions, that's where I am now. I pulled with a GMC 2500 Duramax and could go anywhere on any grade, :eek: but was very uncomfortable with 8 tons of trailer pushing a 3/4 ton single rear wheel truck down a winding 10% grade. So, back to my original question, what do you plan to pull with?

John

slaytop

Rock,
My Shenandoah exceeded the specs. The dry weight was supposed to be 12,500 lbs. The dry weight before loading for travel was actually 13,300 lbs. The travel weight was 14,500. The hitch pin weight dry was suposed to be approximately 2,300 lbs. The actual weight before loading was 3,200 lbs. The travel pin weight was 3,850 lbs.

My GCVW dry was 20,400 lbs and loaded was 22,100 lbs. The loaded weight includes a 1/3rd full fresh water tank.

I am comfortable with the GCVW which is 22,000 lbs for my truck but the pin weight exceeds the truck's rear wheel & tire (axle) rating by 950 lbs. To compensate, I added Air-Lift Bags to level the truck and I have ordered 19.5" rims and tires rated at nearly 8,000 lbs. I pulled the coach nearly 6,000 miles with the stock wheels and tires this summer and didn't have any problems but I will feel more comfortable with the new set.

I'm not sure why my Shenandoah has a heavy pin weight but my suspicion is that it is caused by a shorter rear section behind the wheels than the longer units. There is less furniture and weight in the rear section to balance the weight of the forward storage and bedroom areas.

Larry

rock

I am planning on pulling it with a 1 ton Ford PSD SRW. I have weighed my truck with fuel and passengers and have about 15100 pounds left for the trailer to stay under my GCVW of 23000. At first glance a trailer that has a dry weight of say 12500 would appear to be shoe in to pull, but I am finding that is not true. Trailers posted at 12500 weigh more like 13500. 1000 pounds is alot of payload I now can't carry. I do plan on traveling light. Actually the frustration of getting actual weights of a trailer is starting to wear me down. Some of my earlier posts may have had a tinge of anger towards the RV industry because of my frustrations. I want to be legal in every respect but also maximize the quality and size of my living area. I am finding the task almost impossible. I hope I don't start any feuds but in my opinion trailer manufactures should have to weigh every trailer and post actual weights. I am not one of those guys who want more regulations but I think most people are buying more trailer than their truck can handle. I look at it more like posting the ingredients in your food. I should be allowed to be an informed consumer. There have been some lawsuits in the commercial truck industry on overweight trucks. In this sue happy world we live in I believe it is just a matter of time before that bleeds down to recreational use.

The Shenandoah has me scared now because of pin weight something I didn't think would be a problem on most trailers.

Appreciate all the help

rock

Slaytop, you are doing just what I was planning on doing. I too was considering the 19.5 rickson wheels just for the added security. Thanks for the post

rock

Slaytop, If you don't mind could you tell me what options you have on your Shenandoah. It would be a big help. I have about 3400 pounds of GVW left so it is pretty close. Do you have a trailaire or second air conditioner both of which would probably go right to pin weight. Granite might be a wash. Thanks again

slaytop

Rock,
I have the Trailair hitch pin, a second battery, and a bike rack I placed in the storage area (50 lbs?). I added a receiver hitch on the back for a bike rack. Other than that my coach is standard with one AC and Corian countertops.

To add one additional note, the Rickson forged wheels have an 8-10 week delivery period.

jfield

Rock has legitimate concerns!

All the add-ons such as air bags, Rickson wheel and tire sets etc. don't make the truck legal to tow a trailer that exceeds the posted limits of the the truck. These numbers are on the driver's door frame, and no matter what you add to the truck, it won't change those numbers. The only thing the lawyors and your insurance company are going to look at is Did you exceed the posted rating of the truck. Most of us are, and we are taking our chances towing these things with 3/4 trucks. Very few, if any, 3/4 ton trucks have the payload for the pin weights when these things are loaded for camping.
Enough said

Dirt1st

Check out the thread in the Cyclone section. I picked up a new Cyclone 3210 about a week ago and went straight to the scales. Hearland's website and literature said the pin weight was 2,130 lbs, mine scaled at 2,740 lbs. Sticker in the trailer says it weighs 10,940 lbs, scales say it weighs 12,300. Trailer was "as delivered" full propane, no other fluids, 2-6 volt batteries. The rig is a lot heavier than I expected it to be. Pin weight will go down some when I put toys in the garage, as long as I don't carry too much water going down the road.