Trip Planning & Route guidance - in General

RollingHome

Hey folks, I've been searching on the web for a couple of months now for info to guide me in trip planning and route guidance without success. I have a 3670 BH and long TV that is not small. I have been told there are "truckers guides" that give guidance to truck stops and 'friendly' routes for long rigs - but I am striking out :) For example, I live in PA and I want to travel to Mytle Beach, Outer Banks, Florida and when we get time mid USA. etc.... Doing the Rt. 95 route thru DC and below is a real PITA. Is Rt 81 or 83 or 80 something better ? How about "other" secondary routes ? I would rather spend an extra hour or two to avoid PITA routes that are " SHORTER " Do 'Route Guides' exist or am I in wishful thinking mode ? I put my GARMIN in "truck: mode and it was a little help, very little ! I came back from OC MD and pretended I had a rig behind me... man there were few fuel stops I could get in/out and not have a PITE time manuvering... what am I missing or doing wrong ? You guys been there and done that and I would humbly like to pick your brains. In advance THANKS for your input and help, because I know you were once in my position :) Are my wants just pie in the sky or what ? Ditto for Camp Grounds I can fit into. In closing, comon spring !

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
In my humble opinion, going south on anything other that I-95 is difficult. There's alway Rts 1 or 301, but they are sometines narrow thorugh towns and will slow you down a LOT. US 460 south of Richmond is a good route to get down toward the Outer Banks/Cape Hatteras, but you have to take 95 to get south of Richmond. As far as fuel stops, I check the Flying J and Pilot websites for their locations. Most of them are big rig friendly. The Flying J website lists available RV hookup spaces also for overnighting if you want quick on and off the highway. I have been into a couple of Pilots that were not big rig friendly. The one on I-64 between Richmond and Williamsburg is one where the access the the car/RV diesel pumps is TIGHT (and I have a shorter 5th wheel and a short bed TV). That's my 2cents worth. Hope it helps a little.

cliffbuilt

Good Sam club offers info like your requesting, like an interstate guide & online trip planing with campgrounds & fuel stops etc. check out there site: http://triprouting.goodsamclub.com/ There site runs slow & they load you up with alot of ads but we use their campground discounts often and the trip routing.

Hope this helps, Happy camping,

porthole

Retired
Drop the trailer, fuel up and then reconnect. Could be easier then dealing with tight fuel islands or inpatient truck drivers

porthole

Retired
I check the Flying J and Pilot websites for their locations. Most of them are big rig friendly. The Flying J website lists available RV hookup spaces also for overnighting if you want quick on and off the highway.

I can't find that on the website, have a link?

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Try to go out and get Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 for $39.95. Plan your trip with this software and then use rvparkreviews.com to check out the campgrounds they suggest. Also ask the next campground for the best route from your previous destination. The local's usually know. Also, as someone said Good Sam has a Trip Planner, and you definitely need to know the location of truck stops. There are books that will help you find these gas stations, like Next Exit, or at any of these stations they have small booklets to make sure you can make it to your next stop without running out of gas. Just google flying J or Pilot or any of the big truck stops and find out all their locations. The ones along your route input into your GPS (Garmin etc). I am a neophyte and I have traveled 19,000 miles in two years just using the proper resources.

boatto5er

I can't find that on the website, have a link?

For the Flying J website, you have to go into the "Location" menu and then click on the individual stations to see what's available. If it says "Overnight RV Parking", it usually has at least a power hookup and almost all of them have dump facilities. Calling ahead is the best way to check for details.

RollingHome

Gus, I've been buying gas at a Flying J for years... I never knew they had all what you mentioned. I did the web check and you were right. I just went there last night in Northeast MD, they at least have a dump station. I'll go back or call, thanks a lot. Also, Gus, Rt. 95 ... I took it to Mytle Beach in my car last Oct. (09) it's under construction around DC. I went thru in the middle of the night with a light rain a light traffic and all I could think was "man, I'll never pull a trailer through this mess" I could not see any painted lines on the multi-lane hi-way and I know I was in more then one lane. The odds for meeting new people was great. Because of this experience I'm a little apprehensive about using that route. Maybe when they get it done - IF - they get it done. Anymore, some roads are "eternal construction roads" ! I kinda don't know what to do. Larry, I'm going to get the MS streets, sounds like a good program. Thanks for the other suggestions too. Duane, I've read on the forum others say "drop the trailer" - again I'm new (at least to big rigs). I imagine you mean at a Wallmart or ? place to drop it. Of course once I'm in my site it's dropped, but I mean enroute. Cliff, I've heard of the Goodsam's Club... sounds like I ought to investigate it, thanks for the tip. As far as down load speed, I live in the country and all we had was a 28K dial up modem. Anything faster tehn 2 days is supersonic so I'll be patient :)

boatto5er

Tom,

I-95 around DC has improved since Oct, but there is still some construction approaching the Potomac River Bridge from both the north and south. I agree about the lane striping. In the rain, it's impossible to tell where the lane dividers are. I guess reflective paint has gotten too expensive.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Tom - I bought an atlas from Good Sams club called "RV Road Atlas" for USA, Mexico and Canada. It has all truck routes highlighted for ez finding. It also has campgrounds marked near the roads and listed by states in the back of the book. Came in real handy when we went out west last year and wanted to go off the interstate route.