Why are areas that must be repeatedly accessed screwed down (wood to wood)?

Iver

Why are areas that must be repeatedly accessed screwed down (wood to wood)? This means that eventually the screw holes degrade. Why not put simple latches that can be flipped to open the area. The specific area I am talking about is the area below the stove in front of the water heater which must be accessed for winterizing, etc.

Iver

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a replacement for the wood screws I am talking about? Some common latching device would be a great alternative.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Below our Stove is a drawer for pots and pans. Below our Refer is a door that opens from top to floor with an open space for storing things.

BC

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I haven't looked for any, but I'm pretty sure HD or Lowes would have the type of latch that turns and extends. You turn the small handle (a butterfly looking shape) and it extends the latch into a corresponding "receptical" (for lack of a better term). I like the idea, and am thinking about doing that for the winterization access port inside my storage area.

Tom of Ypsi

Not being familiar with the setup in your coach but could you just use industrial strength velcro to attache the panel. On our "Classic" LM to access the water lines, pump and converter HL put in slide rails making it so much simpler>

bigdog2035

Noth Country / Country Ridge Brand Manager
Iver, there is a gas line behind the panel. When that is the case , code requires us to screw the panel. Hope that helps. Enjoy your North Country .Thanks Chris Stender,North Country /Country Ridge Brand Manager

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might investigate installing small T-nuts or threaded inserts in the wood behind the panel and using corresponding bolts, or even knobs with threaded stems, in place of the wood screws. Not sure of what you're screwing into, but the T-nuts or inserts could even be epoxied into place to insure they stay put.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Depending on the size of the opening, you might consider framing it up and finding a similar styled cabinet door. Attach it with hinges and a cabinet latch. Problem solved. There are several areas that have access panels screwed in place but I think for the number of times they would be accessed in the span of ownership, as long as a person didn't over do it with the screwdriver, the holes should last quite a while. If you use an 18Volt cordless to git er dun, yeah, you might mess up a hole. For the factory to take the extra time to change their process and materials would be an added cost and passed on to the buyer. All these things add up after a while.