Can Not find a local Big Horn dealership.

jcovart

We live in NH and have been trying to locate a Big Horn dealer in New England. We found one dealer in NH but they only had three "early" 2006 models and the salesrep said he doubted that they would be getting in any 2007 units. The dealer in CT only had one "early" 2006 and did not expect any 2007's to come in. Ditto for the NJ dealer. All three of these dealers left me with the feeling that they would no longer be selling Big Horn units. It could have just been sales reps anxious to push what they had in stock but it gave me pause for concern.

While I realize that we can go to Michigan or TN to purchase a unit, I am very concerned about having a unit that was purchased so far away from home serviced. If we were to purchase a unit form a distant dealer, are there any arrangemnts available to service the unit in NH or in a nearby state?

kognito

First, let me be the first to welcome you to a great forum!!

Second, have you checked Wilkins RV in Bath NY.

Scott

jcovart,
I wish there were more BH models available on the East Coast, but dealers are reluctant to bring more units in, until they sell their older ones. In the meantime, if you want a new BH, you can purchase one through an existing BH dealer (even if they don't have any new ones on their lot) - or you can take the chance and buy one elsewhere, knowing that when you bring it back to your local BH dealer, they will not be near as motivated to service you quickly should an issue arise. They will work on your coach - but only after they work on "their customers" coaches. Dealers are independently run businesses, and they take care of their customers first - and I don't hold that against them. That's why I would consider getting them to order your coach for you, even if they don't have new ones on their lot right now. You can call Ron Dickeson at 574.266.8726 for help too. He is the Bighorn East Coast representative.
ST

jcovart

Thank you for the reply. Is there anyway to find out who in the area is an authorized Big Horn dealer? We have a dealership, CampAmerica, in NH who claims to be one but only has three very early 2006 models and was very evasive when we asked questions. Are they an approved dealer? Will you be adding any dealers in New England?

jcovart

Bath NY is several hundred miles from us. I am concerned about having to travel so far for service. Unfortunately, I am not retired and traveling that far for any service issues would be a problem.

kognito

My wife and I drove up to CampAmerica from NJ, just to look at Big Horns and Excels.

We weren't too impressed with their salesfolks, but their Parts and Service departments looked like they knew what they were doing. I used to work in the Automotive industry and I'll tell you one thing I have learned. I rarely take my truck/car/rv to the dealer I buy from. I always stop (in person) to the place I want to do my service. I talk with the service manager (if he/she has time) or talk with the service writer. I explain (sometimes lying) about why I bought somewhere else, but what service with so and so.

The first time I bring my truck/car/rv in for service, I always bring a half dozen pastries or donuts with me. (costs me an extra couple of bucks, but I have always been remembered, and treated like their best customer)

If Plainstow (sp?) is close by, go back there and talk with the guys in service. They might not have a single problem with being your service dealer, as long as you show interest in them.

My current 5th wheel is a Keystone, and service is done by a dealer about 20 miles away from me, but we drove 280 miles to pay 8K less for the same trailer my dealer "wanted" to sell me.