New federal law on states drivers license

rvn4fun

I see now it will take many more documents to get your state drivers licence renewed. I was looking at the documents needed now in South Dakota and there is a new form for fulltimers. Before a licence renewal or a new state licence, one will have to research ahead to see what documents you will have to bring to get that licence. Plan ahead, to save a trip.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: New federal law on states drivers licence

Ok don't just throw words out there, help us out and explain what paperwork will be needed, when does it go into effect, who does it affect, etc. Details where are the detail?

rvn4fun

Here is the link http://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/obtain_a_license.aspx I assume since it says Federal that all states will be required to do all of it. Sorry I didn't put a link on the first post. I just wanted to advise members of something new again. I know according to our local paper people are not bringing the right documents the first time and having to go back home and get the right documents.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

I have checked into this carefully, as I need to renew my driver's license this June. It can become very complicated for women, especially those of us who have been married more than once.

If you use a birth certificate as your ID, you need to be able to show a progression in your name changes, i.e., maiden name to first married name, to second married name, etc. This will require having copies of ALL your marriage licences which will show this progression. After investigation I discovered that instead of the birth certificate, you can use a passport book or passport card as ID...and believe me it's alot easier to obtain....just take your birth certificate and current driver's license to the Post Office and apply. Takes 2-3 weeks to receive and then the passport book/card will have the same last name as your driver's license...problem solved!!!

Glad I paid attention BEFORE I got to SD....LOL!!!

jgallego

I just renewed my Texas Drivers license online. It seems like you can do every other renewal online.

Jaime

My wife and I both renewed or Drivers licenses 2 weeks ago and all we needed was our old drivers license. While I was at it I also obtained a concealed weapons permit that is good in all 50 states. To get the permit you have to be a law enforcement officer or retired law enforcement officer.

rvn4fun

Apparently this federal law only applies to South Dakota? Maybe they just singled us out because we haven't been participating in global warming for the last three years.

Cimriver

Be Careful Big Al. I just checked Colorado's concealed weapon reciprocity list. Colorado does not recognize all states. In fact it does not recognize 22 state's permits. Colorado does recognize Idaho's however.

From Idaho's Attorney Generals Site:

Does Idaho have reciprocity agreements with any other states? If so what states?
Yes. Idaho has signed reciprocity agreements with Arizona, North Carolina, Colorado and South Dakota.
Also, Idaho recognizes valid concealed weapons permits from all states. Idaho does not require specific reciprocity agreements with the other states. See above.
Some states, such as those listed above, do require reciprocity agreements. Those states have specifically negotiated reciprocity agreements with Idaho.
If you are in doubt about a particular state’s reciprocity requirement, it is best to check with that state to determine its concealed weapons policy.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Big Al, you better read THIS. I know that WI does not allow reciprocity. HR 4547 failed to pass which would have been a federal mandate to allow reciprocity in all states.....I think.

Peace
Dave

DennisZ

If big Al is a retired LEO, he can legally carry concealed in any state under the protection of HR 218 that was passed several years ago. It has a few catches, but for the most part any LEO or retired LEO can carry concealed.

Dennis

Forrest Fetherolf

HR 218 does allow active and retired LEO to carry nationwide without restrictions in all States, however, when I applied in Clark County Nevada (Las Vegas area) as a resident I was required to annually fire 30 rounds @ 5,7,15 yards and achieve a passing score in addition to a letter from the LAPD stating when I retired, dates of active duty, retired in good standing, and must have at least 15 years active service or disability retirement. Local jurisdictions can implement more restrictions when you become a resident, just passing through the restriction do not apply.

argyll1st

I dont know how many people will be in the same situation as me but here goes, as a non US citizen who only comes over to travel in the US /Can I could be doing with a US drivers license But it looks like its going to be very hard now, I just checked out the SD website and the items they require are just not possible for a non citizen. although I dont need a license it would cut my Insurance by 30% if I could get a florida drivers license ( where my goodsam stuff is ) I guess they are doing this under the "Anti-terror" banner.