Truck Trouble On the Road - Replaced Fuel Injector 5

jbeletti

Had truck trouble yesterday on my way out of the Rio Grande Valley enroute to Houston. Truck was running really rough. Called Jon H and chatted about it for a while.

Called Ford dealer a few miles from my CG and they got me in right away this morning. They had it all day. Turned out, the #5 fuel injector was bad. Ford warranty covered it. I have just about 35k miles on the truck.

Thanks Tom A for being my dealer shuttle!

Jim

Rmcgrath53

Hey Jim glad your back on the road. Didnt you have an injector go bad on that truck before? Do you put any additives in with your fuel?
Ron

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Jim , If your north travels from Houston bring you on US 59, we would love to meet you and take you to lunch. We are at Mom and Pop's Rv in Marshall, Tx. It is about 6 miles north of Marshall proper on the right just before you reach Woodlawn,Tx. Jim, if ya get this in time, e-mail me when ya get close and I will give ya my cell phone number.
God Bless ya and travel safe. Al & Dee Weaver

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
very surprised it was not #8, that is the one that for some reason goes bad on the 7.3s all the time......sounds like a rod going out!

jbeletti

UPDATE: Not Good

Truck ran great today for a few hours, then the vibration began all over again in the 2,250 to 2,400 RPM range. At my next stop, it was idling rough again, but not as bad as before injector 5 was replaced.

Man - this is getting old.

I was nearly on fumes on both tanks when I picked the truck up from Ford yesterday. So today, after I pulled out of Houston, I filled both tanks at a Flying J. It was "hours" later, that the truck began to act up again.

Fuel filters were changed about 2,000 miles ago. I suppose it's time to do that again - based on all this stuff happening to me now.

Al - nice chatting with you today - thanks for the lunch rain check :)

Rmcgrath53 - Yes, I replaced 2 injectors 1 year ago. Not sure what cylinder numbers those were on.

My plan is to make it home as-is. Unless it gets worse. I am pushing more miles daily than planned on the return trip so I can drop the RV in Elkhart and maybe drop my truck at NW Ford Truck Center near O'Hare on Friday.

Jim
North of Jackson, MS at Movietown RV Park near Canton, MS
Water in the tank - water and sewer hose NOT deployed :)

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: UPDATE: Not Good

Jim, Maybe try some Diesel Kleen available at Wal-Mart. It is in a white plastic container in the auto parts department. Helps with water in fuel and cleans injectors etc.

davebennington

Jim,

I agree with Jim, I put Diesel Kleen & Marvel Mystery Oil every fill up during the colder months. It seems to make things run smoother (all in my mind) but no problems so far at 55,000 miles.

Dave

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Jim , we certainly enjoyed the chat also. Any time you are near Marshall , Texas , the offer stands. We have been running Howes fuel additive for years, never had a water or gelling problem. Looking forward to seeing you again at some rallies, hope to meet lots of Hl owners soon , also. God bless ya , have a safe journey home , Al & Dee Weaver

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim...sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. This is exactly what happened to Tom and Gayle next door last summer...that's why they came back with the FL60. they too had had enough....

Bobby A

Jim.

Sorry your having so much trouble, I just wanted to share with you, my brother in law had the same thing happen to him and it was determined it was bad fuel, at Flying Jays, I agree with the others that the Diesel clean does help. I hope you can make it back to Elkhart uneventful.

Safe travels my friend,
Bobby A

davebennington

Jim,

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you should have never got rid of the DODGE!!!

Sorry the truck made me say that. LOL

Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Since having my bad fuel incident last year, I have been using Sea Foam periodically. The truck seems to like it too with less smoking, except for the tires...

jbeletti

Jim, Maybe try some Diesel Kleen available at Wal-Mart. It is in a white plastic container in the auto parts department. Helps with water in fuel and cleans injectors etc.

Stopped at Wallyworld and got the Diesel Kleen. It seemed to help a bit. Still rough but not getting worse. Usable at least.

At my second fuel stop today, added Diesel Kleen to both tanks again and added some Ford anti-gel something or other. Had a couple quarts with me and I am now into sustained sub-freezing temps. Thanks for the idea.

Jim
In Mt Veronon, IL at a CG - Brrrrrrr

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

You're making me cold just thinking about sub-zero temps, but then we are expecting a couple of more inches of snow tomorrow/Friday - yuckkkk! Hope you get home OK and get the problem figured out. It'll be time to head to South Carolina pretty soon.

ricatic

Jim,

Have you ever had the trucks engine computers reflashed. There is a new flash out in November this year that addresses a bunch of issues. The new flash is easier on the Fuel Injection Control Module(FICM) and makes cold starts much easier and smoother. It also changes some of the injector operating parameters to lessen stiction issues in the injectors themselves. You should be under warranty. Also, has anyone checked the EGR valve? They get dirty and cause some rough running issues. Pm me and we can talk. I have some experience with these 6.0's

Ricatic

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.

Does your tow vehicle say F-O-R-D on it anywhere, that could be your problem............go Duramax Rah-Rah-Rah!!!!!!

Your Nevada buddy is back in action.

Forrest

jbeletti

Jim B.

Does your tow vehicle say F-O-R-D on it anywhere, that could be your problem............go Duramax Rah-Rah-Rah!!!!!!

Your Nevada buddy is back in action.

Forrest

Hey you pot-stirrer! Yeah - it says FORD :)

Very happy to have you back in action. Sorry that I will miss your rally :(

Jim