TV Problem

sunriverman

Sitting here on the banks of the Sacramento River trying to not watch The Bachelor.
We are hooked to cable and were able to get 60 channels on the main TV and after programing the bedroom tv can only receive five channels. Should we get the same channels with both sets?
I assume the bedroom has the same cable connection. thank you in advance.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I can't answer your TV question exactly. Are you at JGW in Redding by any chance? One of our favorite places on the Sac. river. If that's where you are, we have always been able to get lots of channels in both rooms, but we hook up to the cable they provide. If you are someplace else, sorry I can't help.
Kristy

Duramax1

Is it possible that your bedroom TV is set to receive channels over the "air" and not from "cable"?

wdk450

If the 2 excellent suggestions above don't clear up the problem, try temporarily connecting up a DIRECT cable connection from the service post, in through a door or window, to the back of the bedroom TV and compare the results. If this works well, then there is definitely a problem with your interior cable. If your rig is in warranty, make a claim; if not try replacing the cable end connectors first before pulling a new cable.

sunriverman

To isolate the problem I removed the bedroom tv and connected it up using the main tv cable plug-in and power. Bedroom tv worked picked up all the channels once programed. Took it back to the bedroom and same old problem. Assumption, cable to bedroom is faulty. I am thinking it is either the splitter or the cable itself? Make sense? Tracing the cable in from the docking station I cannot find where it splits off and goes up to the bedroom. We are off on a two trip so I would like to solve the problem myself. I am wondering how the dealers test the system as I assume they do not have tv cable at the shop. Must use a electrical testing device? Thanks again for the ideas. rod

rvn4fun

Re: TV cable Routing?

On ours we had a bad crimped end going into the wall outlet in the ceiling, pulled this plate off and installed a screw on cable end. Our splitter for this cable was located behind the wall on the rv door side of the storage area. Very close to where the cable outlet plate for storage area is located. Don't know if Sundance is the same.

branson4020

Icantre Member
The splitter for the bedroom/living room is built in to the amplifier. Your cable should go directly from the docking station to the amplifier. Chek the connection at the amplifier.

wdk450

Splitters are "Passive" electronic devices (i.e no powered transistors, diodes, etc. inside) . They rarely go bad. Connectors on cables are notorious for being misinstalled or corroded. I would recommend replacing the cable end connectors, and using some Caig brand Cramolyn contact cleaner spray on EVERY screw on coax connection. I routinely use this spray on the campground connector as I hook up, as you can see white corrosion on the threads of most of them. Both the screw on coax RG-6 cable ends and the contact cleaner/restorer can be obtained at Radio Shack.
Your installed coax COULD be bad from a staple smashing/shorting it out, but the other possible problems are a lot more frequent, and far easier than pulling a new cable.
This advice from a retired (35 years) electronic Technician.

sunriverman

Thanks for all the great ideas. Finally arrived at Borrego Springs and had time to really figure it out. I removed the cable recepticle for the main tv next to the amplifier. Ran a 25 foot coax from each post on the splitter to the bedroom tv and lo and behold found that the bedroom cable was not hooked upp to the correct post. There are three white coax wires coming in with only two hooked up. One white, one white with one red tape electrical taper marker and one with two red tape markers. Process of elimination still works .