firestone air bags for 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 question

Trying to figure out what kind of air bags and brake controller we should put on our truck. It's a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab short box 5.9 Turbo Diesel truck. We're going to be pulling a 2009 Cyclone 4012.

So far, I've read that Firestone is the favorite among most as far as airbags are concerned. Prodigy is the name for the brake controller I've seen a lot of...will these work for our truck and be the best?

Anyone give a newbie some direction here?

Tara
KC, MO

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Firestones are great! Mine are filled from valves located at the rear license plate but some can be fitted with automatic fill from inside. Prodigy is also VERY GOOD!!! Make sure you get a "progressive" controller.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
That's a lot of 5th wheel!!! You might look into super sways! YES most definately put air rides on this and a progressive give the 5th wheel better stopping power. You will hear from many that your truck is not big enough to pull this, but it is the big thing on this site! I pull a 3580 with a F250 7.3 (2000) and have no problems, even though many say I am going to die unless I have the 450 with all the bells and whistles or dual wheels or whatever, but 145,000 miles of pulling a 5th wheel and I am still here and not even one close call!

PUG

Pug
I had Firestone airbags on my previous Chev 3/4 ton single rear tire and loved them. I quickly went to the inside controller/guage as you can watch and change it as you go. Your 4012 is as heavy as my 3950 so I hope you have dual tires on the rear. I now have an 09 dodge, cummins 6.7, megacab, short box dually and the dual tires made a big huge tremendous difference in the stability and safety. I also have the Prodigy and think it is good.

plumberdude

ptaradactyl,
just saw your note about air bags,and brake controller both good to have.
what i did on my 05 2500 dodge single wheel was to( this is a 2500 truck)
1 remove the single wheel axle out and installed a daully set-up.
2 installed firestone air bags .
we are pushing the limit, we have 4 tires on the road with a load limit of 3400 lbs each.
remember you can gear any vich. to pull what you want STOPPING is another matter!!!

good luck, if have any questions feel free to email me
pat

Thank you all for the replies!! I worry about things like this...he worries about nothing. Getting another vehicle right now is not an option. In fact, we only have a few weeks to get his truck ready to move this thing for a new job.

His truck is single back wheel, not a dually. Is there anything else we can add to make this move as safe as possible for us and everyone else on the road?

BruteForce

I have the Firestone HD Airbags and P3 controller.

I'd be more concerned about overloading your rear axle weight and the ability of your single rear wheel 2500 to control the weight and movement of that trailer.

Adding airbags may make for a better ride, but it won't increase the capacity of your rear axle and/or brakes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I pulled by Alfa Gold (triple axle 40 footer) and our Landmark with a single rear wheel without any problems for many a mile. I did have the Firestone Air bags with built in air compressor single control and dual gauges mounted on the inside. I would recommend the inside control as you can change the air (add or take away) "on the fly" while driving as needed.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
The axels are EXACTLY the same....no matter what someone has t5old you......I worked for Dyna for 40 years

Northern Virginia
I put ther Firestone Ride Rites on my 2500. I wouldn't be without them. I installed them myself in a few hours.

John