a few questions for the experienced owners

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I will be picking up my 09 3055RL bighorn in april. i have been reading and learning all winter but have a few questions. Did any of you brace the frame to stop the twisting problem that seemed to be happening and if yes how did you do it? Did you get braces welded in or buy some and bolt them in? My dealer says that I should buy a package from them that consists of undercoating the frame and putting a sealer on the body of the coach for $1000. I told him to hold off on that for sure. i thought the frames came powder coated. I have ordered a trailair pin for it to cushion the ride. I did see the hydraulic stabilizing system that they use on the Elite Suites at a show on the weekend. There were 15 people in the coach and it did not move at all. It was solid as a rock. very impressed. I am getting excited.

Rick

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Twisting problem? I'm not sure what you mean. I have a 3400RL and maybe I'm blind, but I don't see any problems there. The 3055 is very popular and I am sure you will get some comments from those owners.
$1,000 for under coating? Does that include lube? The body of the coach does not need anything special, other than normal wash and wax. You are right about the powder coated frame.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I'm with Dave on this whole thing !! BUT if you have an extra $1000 please send it my way, I have a few things I would like to upgrade. JON

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While there have been some complaints (very few) about premature corrosion on the exposed frame members, most have not had a problem. And there have been some with frame issues (primarily in the front of the rig), as well. Both problems appear to be in the minority, fortunately, if the postings on this forum are any indication.

If you want additional stability when set up, invest in something like the Ultra-Fab or JT stabilizers. Some folks also place scissors or screw jacks under the frame near the tires for additional stability.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
HMMMM. I guess I misunderstood about the frame twisting problem. Lippert has a fix for it and so does Moreryde but I guess there is no problem. That's what i thought about the frame being powdercoated. I did buy JT strongarms for my rig I was just commenting on the system that I saw and was very impressed with. Actually was very impressed with the coach also.

Thanks for the replies

Rick

dynaguy

We use the jt stabilizers , they work well. We also use a king pin stabilizer and have been working on a cross brace for the landing legs.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Twisting problem? I'm not sure what you mean. I have a 3400RL and maybe I'm blind, but I don't see any problems there. The 3055 is very popular and I am sure you will get some comments from those owners.
$1,000 for under coating? Does that include lube? The body of the coach does not need anything special, other than normal wash and wax. You are right about the powder coated frame.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

I have to agree with Dave.

As far as the flexing, I bet they mean this
http://morryde.com/php/products/aftermarket/xfactor.php

But even this is NOT $1,000.00 or even close to it.

Oh, on second look, he wants $1000 just to undercoat??? OUCH. NOW I REALLY AGREE WITH DAVE.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I am assuming that by frame twisting, the OP os refering to the problem that SOB rv manufacturers were having whith the moreryde IS suspension. Unless you are going to install the IS you wont have to worry about that issue. IF you do install an IS (independant suspension) you definatly need to reinforce the frame. The general instalation of the IS system welds blocking to the bottom of the frame to mount the suspension outboard of the frame. No bracing between the frame rails allows the frame to twist outward. My understanding is that moreryde installs the "fix" on all installations now and doesnt like for anyone else to do these installations. Some members here have the IS and may be able to give more info on this. I would want some reinforcement tho if i had an IS, thes frames arent true "heavy duty" and suspension that is only monuted on one side would definatly tend to twist the bottom of the frame outward. But I am by no means an expert on this. Anyone with a moreryde suspension got more info on this?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have had the IS on our Landmark for over a year and have not experienced frame twisting.

Paul_in_MN

Much of the frame is covered by the underbelly!! I think that dealer (or sales person) must have just recently lost his former job as a used car salesman. Sorry about judging a person without even meeting them!

Watch him try to charge another $1000 for the PDI, which my dealer provides at no cost as part of every sale.

Paul_in_MN