What state to insure and register In ?

argyll1st

Hi all , now that I have bought my first RV/5th wheel I need to look at the trick subject of insurance, as we dont know wich state we are going to settle in we dont have a fixed postal address, If we go to BC then we need to use there own provicial insurance scheme, I understand tis is expensive, as we are only going to be over for 4/5 weeks this visit would I be better with US insurance and just travel into Canada for 4 weeks then come back over the border stick the rig in storage and fly home to Scotland. Its a bit of an impossible question but we will only used the rig 8/9 weeks this year , trying to work out our cheapest option.

2010augusta

One option to look into no matter what state you try to register and insure in, is to switch the policy over to a "storage policy" which would just cover you for comprehensive claims, and not for liability or collision. that kind of policy is about $5.00 a month.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, I can't say for sure but you nay have to insure your rig in the state you are licensed to drive. Do you have a Canadian or U.S. drivers license? You might try contacting a local insurance agent and just ask their advice on the subject.

On another note, I see you are from Dunoon. I spent almost 2 years living in Sandbank while on the USS Canopus in Holy Loch. What a great Country. I've seen recent pictures and was amazed at how things have changed.

navyAZ1

We are currently registered and insured in Texas, however we have been discussing moving our domicile to South Dakota for cheaper insurance. When I contacted an insurance agent in SD they stated that we did not have to have SD Drivers License to register and insure our truck and 5th wheel in SD, they stated your Drivers License could be from anywhere but you would need an established mailing address in SD such as a Mail Forwarding Service. Don't know if this helps since you have somewhat of a unique situation with you being a International resident. Good Luck.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I have heard SD is the way to go. In the Midwest I run in to alot of SD Rv's, and no one is from there :)

Tom of Ypsi

Check out America's Mailbox in Rapid City, SD. There is no vehicle inspection or a wheel tax like some other places in SD. If you join use my name so I get a pat on the back and an ATTA Boy.

argyll1st

Ok , I hear ya, SD sounds like possible plan, Problem might be that we are going to be spending our almost entirely in Canada, although I am finding flights to Chicago much cheaper the flying to Vancouver & Calgary, So lets say we fly in & out the US. store our RV in US, but just travel in and out of canada, would I need 2 go to SD to get tags and insurance or can you do it by post.

argyll1st

So do you think that they would send all I need to a mail box service ? remeber I am not a US citizen, I have no social security number or US driving License.

rvn4fun

I guess I don't know about that, I just know that they will send tags thru the mail and you can get insurance online. Guess you could try to get insurance online and see how far you would get ect. I can give you our treasures office number in our court house you could ask them. If you want it send me a pm. Guess all you can do is ask.