Just bought a new truck

Just wanted to stop back in and say hi. We stepped up and bought a 2010 F350 4WD dually , we pick her up tomorrow as she's having a B&W turnover installed and a spray in bedliner . It was a toss up between the Dodge Laramie w/ Cummins . I went and looked at The Dodges with an open mind and was quite suprised by the truck but they seem hard to come by these days equipped with all the bells and whistles . We chose the ford even though we don't know what to expect with the 6.4 powerstroke but like the trailer I guess this will be a learning experience . Please share any positive or negative experience with the 6.4 as I'm all ears . Thanks again for the learning here on the boards .

Tom of Ypsi

Congratulations on the new truck. I think you will really enjoy it.

I have the 6.4 in my 08 and so far no problems except one and that was my fault. I did not change the fuel filters at the recommended time and 2,500 miles later the truck started running very rough. New filters no problems but I only have right around 20k miles on the truck right now.

Pizzaguy

We have 2008 F250 with the 6.4L and love it.It has plenty of power while getting 9-10 mpg towing and we will get around 18-19 empty. Dealer told me to run a little cetane boost in it when we bought it which I did not. Should have listened to him because the EGR stuck a couple months ago 100 miles from home. The dealer it went to said I should have been running cetane boost in the fuel and it would not have happened. Now I do_Other than that it is a great truck.Would like to stick the DPF up the goverments *ss for what it does to mileage.Another one of their bright ideas.Enjoy the truck!

trvlrerik

The only problem I have had in 57k is when the neighborhood kids put 2 tennis balls and some hotwheels in the exhaust. It tried to regenerate itself clean but shutdown to protect itself from overheating. I bet you will love its willingness to pull. Good luck with your new toy.

Having some issues with my duramax, wishing I might have looked a little harder at the Fords and Dodges. Hope you enjoy your new dually.

sandman

Congrat on the truck hope its a good one, my 08 6.4 has 59,000 pulling about 15,000 of those and it has been perfect. Had a few recalls on it when it was new but just minor things otherwise i love the truck, take care happy traveling.:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got my 2010 F350 Dually back in August of 09. So far I love it. Only have 7000 on it as we have be in one place the last 5 months. So far it has pulled the 16000 pound Landmark without any issues. I have had it serviced once (oil change) and love the way it drives and handles. I have not been in the mountains yet but hope to soon. Congrats on yours and I know you will love it.

jimtoo

Tommy-Beth,,, Congratulations on the new truck....I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy.

I did move your thread to the "Diesel Truck Information" thread,,, maybe you will get more replies here.

Jim M

Well we got her out on the road this weekend . The truck is super nice , peppier then I thought but that fuel mileageis gonna take some gettin used to . A little over 9 mpg drivin around empty . Maybe it will get better as we break her in

jimtoo

From Wikiipedia.

Diesel particulate filter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A diesel particulate filter, sometimes called a DPF, is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. Wall-flow diesel particulate filters usually remove 85% or more of the soot, and can at times (heavily loaded condition) attain soot removal efficiencies of close to 100%. A diesel-powered vehicle equipped with functioning filter will emit no visible smoke from its exhaust pipe.
In addition to collecting the particulate, a method must exist to clean the filter. Some filters are single-use (disposable), while others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate, either through the use of a catalyst (passive), or through an active technology, such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures, through engine modifications (the engine is set to run a certain specific way when the filter load reaches a pre-determined level, either to heat the exhaust gases, or to produce high amounts of NO2, which will oxidize the particulates at relatively low temperatures), or through other methods. This is known as "filter regeneration". Sulfur in the fuel interferes with many "regeneration" strategies, so almost all jurisdictions that are interested in the reduction of particulate emissions, are also passing regulations governing fuel sulfur levels.

Drew

Fords are great trucks. Ford did'nt kill the mpgs, our swell government did. I still dont know how burning more fuel is good for the tree huggers. My Dodge had a few of those emissions parts fall off. Good luck with the new truck, my Ford has been great.

sgtbigb

In todays paper I read that the new 2011 version of the duramax will have 396 horsepower with 765 pounds os torq................Wow

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
more like 465 ft/lbs of torque...................765 ft/lbs is cruise for a freightliner. An Allison can't take that much..................READ ON!

Northern Virginia
That's right. Both the Duramax and the Allison have been modified for the increase HP and torque. Pretty impressive numbers.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rumaco, that is the new specs on the Duramax and Allison. At least that is what we have in our information at the dealer I work for. Very impressive numbers. The GVWR is 27500. Bob

NewCyclone

I am anxious to see both the new Ford and new Chevy in 2011. I hope ford doesn't have to many issues with the new engine and transmission like they did when the first released the 6.0 and 6.4 I think it was. I do like the options that come with the ford though, but hate the new dually fender. I want to see how this urea fluid is going to work out also on both trucks. It's about time they offered exhaust brakes as an option on them!! Or maybe they always did and I just didn't know about it.

jpjulian

39,600 miles on our '08 F250 6.4L. Pulls like a mule but the mileage flat out sucks. The BEST we've got was 14.0 mpg empty. And that seems to have been a one time deal. The mileage computer reads 12.4 avg mpg as I type..... That DPF and EGR really killed the mileage but oh boy does it pull...

Joe