Awning Attach Lags pulled loose and stripped....

BozRazor

I have an 08 Razor and I am doing the pre one year warranty inspection...well I found the lags on both the front and rear attach points for the awning loose and stripped. The warranty guys are wanting me to take it in and get backers installed which entails going throught the interior wall panel, yeah makes me really excited about it. He told me that backers were installed from the factory but the initial installers probably torqued the bolts too tight stripping them out. Here's my dilemma, being the fix it myself kind of guy, I bought larger lags, hoping to fill the stripped holes up in the backers and be good to go...well I never felt any resistance with the bigger lags. Don't really know if backers are there or not. Does anyone have an experience like this or maybe a repair that dosn't cause more damage?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Had the same problem with our Landmark.Nothing to screw the lag bolts into except the outside wall,which I think is a poor design,but I put in a bolt anchor that you knock into the hole and some caulking and so far all is well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To determine if the backers are even installed, try taking a piece of wire or coat hanger and make it into a probe. If there's anything behind the wall, you should be able to tell.

Personally, if it's still under warranty, I'd take it in for the repair.

lhetsler

I had this happen on SOB and I put polyurethane glue on the lags. Gorilla glue is one brand. This glue expands about 4X as it dries and will cement the lags in. I had that SOB for years before I sold it and the lag bolts never came loose. Do be careful to wipe clean any excess because this glue is very unforgiving when dried. After application go back in about 1/2 hour and clean again before conpletely hardened.

BozRazor

Thanks guys for the ideas...I think I'll try the glue idea first. Least expensive...at least, I'll let you know how it goes. Looks like I had rust on the lags also, moisture probably caused the area around screws to give up the hold. You may want to put that on your list of things to caulk around, the awning attach points.

DntDctr

I had the same problem with my Sundance. I figured out the problem. Imagine if you will a 2" lag bolt holding on the awning. Now 2" bolt -thickness of awning mounting plate minus thickness of fiberglass wall minus 2" foam insulation equals.....yea, there was no way the bolts were hitting anything. All of mine were the same. Longer bolt not thicker is the trick.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks guys for the ideas...I think I'll try the glue idea first. Least expensive...at least, I'll let you know how it goes. Looks like I had rust on the lags also, moisture probably caused the area around screws to give up the hold. You may want to put that on your list of things to caulk around, the awning attach points.
When I needed the awning replaced on the TT, the mobile tech pointed out to me that he filled each hole (and under the mount plate) with caulk to protect the wood backer. There is a video on installing a slide awning, also, in which they show shooting a bit of caulk into the screw holes before mounting the hardware.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The aluminum backer is really very soft aluminum. I had the same thing happen and used these along with Gorilla Glue. They are available at most home centers and hardware stores and get a size that will fit the lags you are using. 1/4" should be good.

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 37

lhetsler

Another great thing about polyurethane glue is that it is completely waterproof, so no water can get in.

BozRazor

Finally got back out and pulled everything apart, found the backers about 1/4" below where they drilled the holes. The lags were screwed into 1/2" wallboard. I guess it's a good thing I haven't used the awning much. Here's what I'm trying first, filled the void behind the wall with liquid nails. Letting it cure for a day or two, then I 'm gonna drill a small hole, install an anchor, gorilla glue, bolt it down and hope like crazy it holds. I think if everything sets up good I'll be OK. Thanks for all the help guys!!

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
My old fifth wheel had your problem, but did have wood to go into. I drilled the hole with a 1/2 inch drill bit. then used a 1/2 inch dowel rod and glued it into the hole. I let the glue set up, then reattached the lag bolt. I did use Gorilla glue to hold the dowel and also put a little on the lag bolt. never a problem after that.