2009 Ram 3500 Mega Dually w/2010 Roadwarrior 395

BruteForce

On our first outing, I was concerned that the pin weight (weight on axles & tires) would be massive and I'd be close (if not over) to being beyond max load for my truck.

I stopped at a Flying J, paid the $9 and had my entire rig weighed. Specs:

2009 Ram 3500 Dually Mega-Cab (Resistol Edition)
2010 Roadwarrior 395 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Front Axle: 4980 Pounds
Rear Axle: 7400 Pounds
Trailer: 15160 Pounds

Total Weight (GCVWR): 27540 Pounds

I was surprised to find that totally loaded (water, fuel, pets, clothes, 3x ATV's in the garage) I was under the 18k max weight of my trailer. Additionally, I was under the max weight for the ratings on the front & rear axles on my new truck.

Needless to say, I drove happier on our maiden voyage.

Drew

Funny how you can be under your axle weight but be over on the gcwr. I'm sure that rig pulled it great.

BruteForce

Funny how you can be under your axle weight but be over on the gcwr. I'm sure that rig pulled it great.

Agreed. I know I'm over on GCWR, but as I understand it - that number is generated by marketing while axle and tire limits are firm. I won't ever knowingly drive while exceeding axle or tire limits.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You're also over the GVWR for the truck by about a ton, or about 20%, but I don't know what practical value that number has. I've never understood why the dually megacab 3500 should only have a GVWR of about 10,400 lbs when the other manufacturers duallys are so much higher. No differrence in cargo (pin weight) capacity between the dually and SRW? Go figure.

Drew

If you look on some of the Cummins forums, some guys are pulling some sick loads. I'm talking over 30k with trucks like ours. I'm not saying I would do that, but, it shows that the GCWR is just a number. I'm at 24,040, over my GCWR by 40lbs.

My Quad cab is rated for 12,200lbs. The mega is lower due to the mega cab. Almost 2k less, I dont' think so.

2010augusta

I was surprised to find that totally loaded (water, fuel, pets, clothes, 3x ATV's in the garage) I was under the 18k max weight of my trailer. Additionally, I was under the max weight for the ratings on the front & rear axles on my new truck.

What was your truck weights with out the trailer? You don't know the full trailer weight without adding the pin weight. Your are probably over 18K for your gross trailer weight. I don't know why the numbers for for the Toy haulers are so different but with our landmark the GVWR is more than the sum of the 2 7,000# axles.

Hamshog

On our first outing, I was concerned that the pin weight (weight on axles & tires) would be massive and I'd be close (if not over) to being beyond max load for my truck.

I stopped at a Flying J, paid the $9 and had my entire rig weighed. Specs:

2009 Ram 3500 Dually Mega-Cab (Resistol Edition)
2010 Roadwarrior 395 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Needless to say, I drove happier on our maiden voyage.

Hey Bruteforce,

Like Augusta said, you're probably at least 1000#'s over on the trailer GVWR because you didn't add the pin weight. It's close to 4000#'s acording to your #'s with the dually. Weight the truck ready to roll with fuel and all the stuff in it as your ready to hookup to the hauler. Then refigure..

Regards, Hamshog

Hamshog

What was your truck weights with out the trailer? You don't know the full trailer weight without adding the pin weight. Your are probably over 18K for your gross trailer weight. I don't know why the numbers for for the Toy haulers are so different but with our landmark the GVWR is more than the sum of the 2 7,000# axles.

Hey 2010Augusta,

I know of at least a couple manufacturers that rate their haulers at 21,000#'s. They have 6,000# axles and figure the pin weight in their total. I guess they figure the frames can handle the load..??? Just like the Heartlands and others figure the pin will take a couple thousand pounds of the GVWR or they couldn't get away with 7,000# axles on a 16500# GVWR coach.

Regards, Hamshog

BruteForce

Hey Bruteforce,

Like Augusta said, you're probably at least 1000#'s over on the trailer GVWR because you didn't add the pin weight. It's close to 4000#'s acording to your #'s with the dually. Weight the truck ready to roll with fuel and all the stuff in it as your ready to hookup to the hauler. Then refigure..

Regards, Hamshog

I don't follow. The weights that I provided were the truck w/RV attached and fully loaded. I drove right over the scale with everything loaded and the 5'er attached to the truck. (truck was freshly topped off with Diesel, me/wife and 3 kids in the back)

Hamshog

I don't follow. The weights that I provided were the truck w/RV attached and fully loaded. I drove right over the scale with everything loaded and the 5'er attached to the truck. (truck was freshly topped off with Diesel, me/wife and 3 kids in the back)

Hey BruteForce,

You weighed the total rig, which is good! Your trailer "axles" were at 15,450#'s (or whatever), but you didn't include the pin weight for the trailer. The truck carries the pin weight while traveling, but if you were to drop your trailer on the scale, by itself, your actual trailer weight would be around 19,450#'s. You need to weight your truck loaded without the trailer and get your axles weights, then subtract the axle weights(no trailer) from the axle weights(with trailer). This will give your "true" weights of your rig.

Regards, Hamshog

BruteForce

Hey BruteForce,

You weighed the total rig, which is good! Your trailer "axles" were at 15,450#'s (or whatever), but you didn't include the pin weight for the trailer. The truck carries the pin weight while traveling, but if you were to drop your trailer on the scale, by itself, your actual trailer weight would be around 19,450#'s. You need to weight your truck loaded without the trailer and get your axles weights, then subtract the axle weights(no trailer) from the axle weights(with trailer). This will give your "true" weights of your rig.

Regards, Hamshog

So, what does this mean to me? If all the axles while towing are under the specified max weight and my truck (using Jacobs brake, Tow mode and P3 Brake Controller) can adequately stop the trailer, is there still an issue with the GCVWR?

Hamshog

So, what does this mean to me? If all the axles while towing are under the specified max weight and my truck (using Jacobs brake, Tow mode and P3 Brake Controller) can adequately stop the trailer, is there still an issue with the GCVWR?

If your comfortable knowing your trailer "actually" weights over 19,000#'s, and the trailer frame can handle that extra weight, then it means nothing. Your GCVWR I don't see to be any concern.

Regards, Hamshog

BruteForce

If your comfortable knowing your trailer "actually" weights over 19,000#'s, and the trailer frame can handle that extra weight, then it means nothing. Your GCVWR I don't see to be any concern.

Regards, Hamshog

So, to better test, I should go back to the scales with the trailer fully loaded. Disconnect, weigh just the truck, then weigh just the trailer w/truck disconnected?

2010augusta

So, to better test, I should go back to the scales with the trailer fully loaded. Disconnect, weigh just the truck, then weigh just the trailer w/truck disconnected?

Exactly. or just take the truck loaded the same as it was when you weighed the entire rig.

To get the pin weight, subtract the unloaded truck weight from the loaded truck weight.

For the total trailer weight, add the trailer axle weight and the pin weight.

truknutt

Committed Member
Brute,

If you use CAT scales at the truckstops then you get 2 weighs for the price of one. Pull in and weigh the complete rig. The scale is actually 3 seperate scales or pads so pull your TV front axle on first pad, rear axle onto 2nd pad and your 3 trailer axles onto the 3rd pad. This will give you the Combined Weight.

When given the okay, pull off into the parking area and disconnect the trailer. Go back around to weigh just the TV. Again pull front axle on pad #1 and rear axle on pad #2. IMPORTANT: tell the attendant that this is a RE-WEIGH. Pull around, reconnect, pay the attendant and have fun with the numbers.

You will end up with your TV axle weights(loaded & unloaded), and your trailer's combined axle weights. When you subtract your TV's unloaded rear from loaded rear you will essentially have your PIN weight. PIN weight plus trailer's combined axle weight should give you your trailer's overall Gross weight as it is ready for traveling.

Here is the CAT Scale link on how to weigh. The "Standard" method is what I described.

rvn4fun

Thanks Trucknutt, for the info on the cat scale, we will have our unit weighed when we leave Texas for home. I am curious on our trailer total weight and trailer axel weight. If we are light enough on our trailer axels we will switch to Michellin ribs before we hit the road for Arizona next winter. Would be nice to have a certified trailer weight if we ever have suspension problems during warranty. Don't think our rv will ever be heavier then it is right now as we have been living in it this winter.