Axle and Brake Upgrade - worth it?

ihsolutions

We have a 2011 BH 3670RL on order. I was looking into the cost of having Mor/ryde hydraulic disc brakes installed after I pick up the coach in Elkhart. They charge about $2,500 and it takes one day.

Then my dealer made mention of a "hidden option" where Heartland will install Never-lube hubs, 3.75" brakes (instead of 2") and 8,000 lb axles for only $950. This seems like a no-brainer upgrade. My question is, can anyone provide a basis of comparison between the standard 2" brakes and the larger 3.75" drum brakes? I guess if they do not perform at the level I expect, I can always get the hydraulic disc later, and I'd still have larger axles and maintenance free hubs right?

My dealer also mentioned something vague about the frame being different and the GVWR of the trailer being higher (makes sense with 8,000lb axles) but I have no idea what he meant about the frame. I'm waiting to hear back from Heartland with more info on that.

ihsolutions

Jolar3329, it was through Mor/ryde in Elkhart and his name is Gary.

Are you asking because that price is too high, or too low?

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
In my opinion the upgrade to larger axles is a no brainer.
Bigger is better!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I would go with the $950 axle up-grade in a heartbeat....hopefully they up size the electrial wiring to the brakes if needed.

lwmcguir

Certainly worth the money. You will sit about 3/4 inches higher than the posted height. The brake size is nearly 40% more area. The 8K will get you many safe years of travel. Go for it. Sounds like on some post the axle is still 7K? Are you getting 8K for sure?

porthole

Retired
Too heavy an axle can be just as bad as too light.

$2529 is what I paid for the Kodiak brakes in July 2009.

lwmcguir

Check out the competition in upper scale coaches. They have heavier axles, frames, tires and of course cost more. But the idea is longevity and safely. They increase the safety margin or at least have one.