Bighorn delivery frustration

labbysmom

Just need a wee vent here. We are leaving Sunday morning to take delivery of our Bighorn in San Martin Calif. Mark got a call Monday saying it was on the road but not available to drive off the lot until Wednesday. OK, not a big deal, another night in a hotel. Mark got a call today. Oops, trailer is still in Indiana on the lot waiting for a truck and driver! OK, now a big deal!:mad:
We actually heard from Heartland as our dealer was so concerned. However, at this point we are not too impressed. We are not retired and there has had to be plans made to be gone for 4 weeks. And Heartland can't keep track of one trailer??
Stay tuned...........

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you plan this trip based on a projected delivery date to the dealer? There has been alot of bad weather this winter all over the country, i wouldnt be suprised if the delivery companies are behind. Sounds to me like Heartland knows where it is, waiting on a truck and driver. I hope everything works out for you. Just dont let your anticipation rush you into taking delivery before the dealer gets it all checked out and you get to do a thorough PDI, then let the dealer get any problems fixed befroe you take it off the lot. I think I would postpone my trip untill i was sure the dealer had the unit. good luck, be patient, I know its hard. heartland is a great company to work with, but they can't control everything.

Pizzaguy

Sorry your BH is not arriving when you thought it would.I would bet it is because of the weather. Living in Iowa, it has been tough travelling almost daily here in the midwest. If it isn't snowing,the wind is blowing the snow and turning the roads completely ice covered and low visibility. Please understand that the delivery drivers don't want to have an accident with your new rv either. I have been a salesman on the road for the last 15 years and this is by far the worst winter to be on the road.I'm sure Heartland is doing the best they can to get your rv to you.I hope yor new BH arrives soon as the weather is finally going to be decent for a few days here.

labbysmom

It seems the problem is with the drivers - there aren't any. That said, what annoys us is to be called on Monday to say our rig was on the road. As we now understand it, there was a delivery driver problem 2 weeks ago, but no one bothered to pre-warn us. We are easy going - and understand 'life happens'. But we don't understand how you can misplace a unit - since it was on its way on Monday but found today on the lot. Weather or not :D, we aren't impressed.

I know this does not help any but for some reason dealers give you a delivery date based on everything going as perfect as it can be. Most of the time it all works out well especially with the economy as it is now. Yours is one of those that did not have everything go as planned. I agree with the above poster that says weather. Would you want to be driving accross the midwest and west in the weather that has been happening there knowing you are responsible for your load? It gets tough sometimes to get drivers that will take on that responsibility. I would feel the same way you do but I can see the other side as well. As I said I know it doesn't help any but I would rather be a little late getting the rig than it get crashed in a snow storm before it gets there.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Let me try to shed a little light on the lack of drivers. The delivery drivers are many times retirees that are trying to pick up a couple of bucks, and at the end of the week, thats about all they will clear with fuel prices what they are. I tried it back in 2000 when I retired but couldn't make any money. The drivers are independent contractors, and therefore not under any obligation to drive in bad weather. Some will drive but many won't. I know I didn't.

Personally, I'd rather them wait to deliver it than to take a chance of an accident due to weather. I know its frustrating but you'll be better off in the long run.

labbysmom

Thank you all for your replies.
Just to clarify, we received confirmation that the unit was built and moved to the truck lot on Feb 12. Mark handles distribution for a large oil company in Canada and has to know where product is at all times. That is why we don't understand how our unit was on the road, but not on the road afterall. Plain and simple - they lost track of it.
Of course we wouldn't want anyone to jeopardize their life to drive in unsafe conditions, thats a no brainer. But the point here is not the weather. No one who contacted us yesterday mentioned the weather.
As I first posted, we are not retired and have had to do some very careful planning in order take a specific 4 week absence. Had we been informed even a week ago, alternate plans could have been arranged.
Now we start vacation time but cannot leave for vacation. Thus when we do get our unit, our trip of a lifetime is now much shorter and our itinerary drastically changed.
Yup, thats life and as I said in my first sentence......'just need a wee vent here'!

Diane

labbysmom

Update

Heartland was shocked to hear of our lost trailer and have promised to have it in San Martin by Tuesday at the latest. We are leaving in a few minutes, so we'll post again once we get settled. Thanks everyone for your input. Again, the situation was not because of weather. We're just glad its been worked out.

Diane

aatauses

Here is a heads up and something to look at with your new unit. It will probably be going through some salt areas. Be sure yopur dealer washes and prepares the underside. My dealer neglected it even after I said the salt should be cleaned and he said they all look like that. Well after a few months I had major rust problems and I replaced all the bolts/screws/nuts I could on the bottom and the bottom of all the slides---not much fun on a brand new unit----so please make sure your dealer helps you out---
al