Speed Brake

JDR

Considering adding the Banks Speed Brake to my 09 Duramax. Has anyone had expriance with this product?

Dale

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had a Banks Exhaust Brake on my previous truck (99 F350 7.3 diesel) and loved it. I have been told I don't need one on the new truck since it has a tow-haul mode.

beaverfan

Oregonian
Duramax also has a tow-haul mode. My brother installed a different exhaust brake. It does a superb job without the increased RPM's he encounters in tow-haul mode.

branson4020

Icantre Member
My 6.7 Cummins has an integrated exhaust brake, and the the 6-speed Allison knock-off tranny has tow-haul mode. I've had one without the other and the two together is MUCH better.

palebluedot

I don't know about the Banks unit, but the PacBrake PRXB on the 02 Dodge is BY FAR the best money I have spent for any accessory. With the 13K# Bighorn descending 7% grades, I actually lose speed without using the service brakes. There is no way I would tow in the high country without an exhaust brake.

JDR

Duramax also has a tow-haul mode. My brother installed a different exhaust brake. It does a superb job without the increased RPM's he encounters in tow-haul mode.

I wanted to get one that was more of the convetional engine brake that like the ones we use on the bigger diesels but they don't seem to have one for the LMM model Duramax. At least I have not been able to find it. If you have a name of one I would be interested.

Like your user name: GO BEAVS

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
JDR, the only thing I know of available for the new Duramax/Allison is the Banks Speed Brake. I don't know of anybody that owns one, but have heard they work well. It does not use the exhaust for backpressure, but rather the turbo. It's plug and play. I like that.

Peace
Dave

justbob

Just installed one on a Ford 05 350 powerstroke. Haven't trailered with it yet but empty it sure will pull you down. I think I will like this set up. It took a little work to install, If not mechanical inclined I would let the dealer put it on. You have to install the Banks Econo tuner with it. They work together.

JDR

Just installed one on a Ford 05 350 powerstroke. Haven't trailered with it yet but empty it sure will pull you down. I think I will like this set up. It took a little work to install, If not mechanical inclined I would let the dealer put it on. You have to install the Banks Econo tuner with it. They work together.

I just got it insalled this week, I did have someone do it. I agree it made a big diference empty when I tried it. Leaving in a day or two with the trailer. looking forward to trying it out. I did not do the tuner, been thinging about adding it.
JDR

deron1

I have a Banks SpeedBrake installed on my 2005 Duramax. It works great and really gives you added confidence when towing down steep grades. Highly recommend. A bit pricey though but worth the piece of mind IMO. Very easy to install. Also works with a Banks Tuner.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Be very carefull about Jakes on non-commercial rigs (after-market)....if not installed absolutely correct you will do serious damage to your engine. Be very careful what you buy and WHO puts it in!!!!!!!!

branson4020

Icantre Member
Be very carefull about Jakes on non-commercial rigs (after-market)....if not installed absolutely correct you will do serious damage to your engine. Be very careful what you buy and WHO puts it in!!!!!!!!

IS there such a thing as a "Jake" (Jacobs engine brake) for a pickup truck?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
YES! Compression release....all the same. It can severely damage an engine if not correct to a fault!

A

acruise

hey
I agree with your suggestion, never be used if not installed correctly, i also faced engine damage problem few months ago.

thanks

Regards
Dan hos

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We are are on the last leg of a 9000km trip from flat Saskatchewan through the Mountains in Oregon, I have the speed brake and Econo tuner.
Speed brake, once I figured out the speeds for the 1st,2nd and 3rd speeds, I rarely had to use the brakes on long down hills. Has anyone done the July 4th pass or the climb and down hill from Idaho to Montana? I worked great. On the down hills I hardly touched the brakes. Works bettee than I could have every imagined.
Econo tuner, I have it set on number 2 econo. here are some stats to digest. Last year pulling the our 5th wheel SOB same weight same road (except for a detour due to wash out which has many hils) from home to Lethbridge alberta about 650km we used 200litre of fuel, this year with the detour we traveled 729km and used 167 litre of fuel. Yesterday we left Missoula and traveled to Medicine had through the glacier scenic road (many hills and a few passess) 751 km we used 151 litres of fuel, we did have a bit of tail wind for one part of the trip.

I find the tip to fuel economy with our 07 LMM duramax is 55mph and six gear. If anyone has trouble getting into sixth let me know there is a trip to it.

when I get home I will submitt my mileage calculations. Gotta go DW just texted that she is ready to roll.

porthole

Retired
I'd like to see Telma start making retarders for pickups.
Of the various big rig auxiliary braking systems I have used (fire trucks) the Telma does the best job. Our 70,000 pound ladder truck stops better with the Telma then any of our other smaller rigs.