Floor Covering Problem

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
We have a BigHorn 3500 and are having problems with the vinyl under the entertainment/kitchen slide. There are rollers under the slide which support the slide when retracted. Two of these rollers are causing the vinyl to pucker at the place where they rest when the slide is retracted. The pucker stands approximately 3/8 of an inch high and seems to be getting worst each time that the slide is opened and closed. Has anyone else seen this problem? :mad:

JoeW4300

BigHorn 3500 Vinyl Floor

We have a 2006 3500 RL with a similar but worse problem. Upon retracting the kitchen/entertainment slide the slide tore up the vinyl on the right side of the slide. Luckily it was in the hidden area (the area where the sink drain is waiting to fail). The dealers solution was to cut out the affected area leaving particle board showing if you look closely. Of course this is unacceptable and we will pursue it further. It is typical of manufaturing and the dealer network as far as I can see. We have had in excess of 30 deficiencies in our unit. I could go on but the Pollyannas on this site would take offense.
Heartland was supposed to supply a new type drain for us suckers with the sink that slides out (since discontinued) but that was three months ago so it is way to soon for that part to show up. The day night replacement shade has only been a couple of months so I expect that by Christmas.
I could go on for at least an hour but it won't accomplish a thing.:mad:

jpmorgan37

Joe;
Why do you take pleasure in calling the rest of us in the forum morons and pallyannas? I don't remember seeing any of us call you names. It sounds to me like your personal problems are overriding you sense of human descency.
John

JoeW4300

If the shoe fits...

Don't take it personally but if the shoe fits wear it.
You may be happy with your RV, I am not, you may be happy with Heartland, I am not, you may also be happy with your dealer, I am not. This unit is out of service more than it is available for use. I can at least admit I made a mistake buying a BigHorn. I guess I was the moron. But not the PollyAnna.
If you don't like the posts don't read them. I can guarantee there is not one word of a lie in anything I have written. I only sound bitter because truth be told I am. And truth be told I don't care if you like it or Scott likes it or David likes it or not.
Joe :mad: :mad:

jpmorgan37

Sorry Ken;
Why don't you post it in Ask the Factory. Maybe they do have an answer for you. I didn't mean to get off the subject.
John

Paul & Nan

Sorry, this is not in reply to your problem either, just to commiserate with you as we have had a lot of problems, many of which are still not resolved, but we try not to ***** overmuch about them. Hope you will find a quick resolution to your problem as it is darned aggrivating to have this stuff happen.

We are taking our BH 3500RL out tomorrow after work, will get home Sunday. Hopefully all will go well. We are only going 20 miles from home to our favorite park. It is a county park, electric only, but so beautiful and quiet.

Paul and Nan

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Thanks, Paul. Jane and I are planning a weekend trip. Only about 60 miles to one of our favorite Tennessee State Park. Thus far, we haven't identified many problems with our BigHorn 3500. BTW, we lived in Champaign in the 80s. Have a great trip.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
RV-Ramblers,
We too have an early 2006 3500RL. I will take a look tonight to see if there is any puckering. I do pay special attention to this particular slide because of the extra cabinet extension on the right and because of the roller. Did not know that issues existed about the flooring there. Hope you get an acceptable resolution for this. Please keep us posted. Maybe this shoud be in the Ask The Factory Forum instead.

Good luck,
Mark

JoeW4300---I understand your position. I understand that you have not passed on any lies in your posts. Name calling will get you nowhere and your continued effort to let everybody on this forum know how dissatisfied you are is only bringing the intent of the forum to a lower level. You obviously should sell your Bighorn and build your own fifth wheel.

Regards,
Mark

Cheryl

This forum is supposed to be about "helping" each other, not belittling. I have always heard that campers are the nicest group of people - let's keep it that way.

Scott

David tells me that he is working with JoeW to help him as much as possible. He (David) was surprised to hear about this thread as he has been working well with JoeW to resolve his issues (he thought). As does happen sometimes, it turns out the dealer never ordered some of the parts that they told Joe they did - or at least not from Heartland. This obviously has compounded his problems. I'm sorry the rest of you have to endure the verbal theatrics - though using the term "pollyanna" does make for fun reading. I liked some of your responses though...

ST

arisce

Although we do not have the same problems with puckering, we did have the same problem with poor service with our dealer, who has now dropped Heartland from its inventory.(see Canadian update and Scott's reply in forum)We are still waiting since June 13 for our unit, but Heartland, especially Scott and David Partin have come through for us time and again. We knew when we bought the unit that we would probably have trouble with service as the dealer was known for poor service (no matter what company he was selling), but wanted the BH RL3600 for its wonderful layout and wardrobe.The only problem is the dealer says one thing and Heartland says the opposite and we are often caught in the middle, i.e. wrong pieces ordered or delivered or lost! However, we tend to believe in Heartland as they have more than once helped to regulate a problem with the BH. Having met the owners in charge at Rally 2006 and dealt with them personally, we know they want happy customers and try their best to make sure problems are solved.The problems often come from the dealers, not Heartland. We will continue to support Heartland and tell everyone about their efforts to build a solid reputation.

JoeW4300

Roger,
things change and the rally is a long way off. I am still hoping for resoutions to these problems.
Was that an invitation?
Regards,
Joe

JoeW4300

Mark,
thanks for your input. I try to respect everyone's opinion. I think it would be problematic to build my own Fifth-wheel but I appreciate the suggestion. Try not to take things so personally. You will get a lot more enjoyment out of life.
Actully you are a little late in suggeting we sell our BigHorn as it was already for sale. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. Of course I have a number of things that have to be fixed before we sell but I am getting them all done a few at a time.
Regards,
Joe

JoeW4300

Scott,
the shade did arrive as promised this final time. It took months but it was done.
I will speak with Dave as some of the other items need to be discussed over the phone. I get the impression that you only like good news. Sorry to disappoint you. Also, I have reluctantly relinqushed my post as president of the Heartland cheerleaders! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we all have to move on.
FYI, this is not the only site on which to post info. about Heartland. I have witheld posting anything on the other sites because I think it is the fair thing to do. In all of this all I want is my fifth-wheel fixed as promised.
Scott, QC is a problem at Heartland. It goes right to the heart of the matter. The dealers cannot compensate for all the manufacturers' shortcomings. I would like to think the newer models are greatly improved. I, though am still muddling through this process of getting all these things on my unit fixed. It is a very trying and tiring process.
In closing, I suggest you look up "Bull Dog" in your Funk and Wagnall's. I never give up and I never let go.
I am sure you will be getting a lot of good news knocking this post.
OK by me!
Regards,
Joe

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We just can not roll out enough red carpet for some people. One can try and try to help out and Heartland does that with great pride! I know I have had some problems with our BigHorn and Heartland came through with pride all the way!! I can not say enough about Heartlands good will!! Maybe the dealer may need some help. That is why we as people looking for that just right RV need to know your RV dealer WELL. Keep up the good work Heartland!! Evans & Lana

Wild Wind

Crying in our beer

Joe & I ,spent much time in Floridia for 3 months crying in our beer with a "Heartache" over all of the problems with our dealers and our 5th wheel RVs. We both talked about getting back home, having our units repaired, getting on with our old lifes of being "Happy Campers" like it was with our old units. But promises where made to be patient, and it will be taken care of, sounds good but has yet to happen. After 6 weeks at Heartbreak Service, "o", I met to say Heartland, I was told everything was fixed. But, I have since found things left unrepaired that where listed at the Dealer (of course the dealer has no record of this and I magicially came up with this form & of course everyone involved with my sale have bee since fired by the dealer) during my delivery inspection and prior to service. I tell David that things where missed, and they write or call me that they have no record of that ever being a problem. and try to make me into a lair.:(
After finsihing 2 weeks of repairs, with some up dates(will discuss on later forums, some are real safety issues), we where able to go camping for the second time in our unit (Rally doen't count) and actually had no problems and did not have to repair anything (even our pillows are in good shape).None
During the 2 weeks of repairs, I needed more roof caulk, a skylight, & a light fixture, called David Parton for parts, and a light fixture. I am happy to say:) the next day I went to the parts center and they where setting there ready. I noticed that the wrong light was waiting for me, got correct light and went home to find that I was given Black Caulk instead of White. The first time I had caulk sent to me by Randy, it took 3 weeks too get to me becaused it was sent to Clarence Helzerman, Milan, Mi 48160, no street address.
And many of you with good units wonder why We are ****ed off :mad: (Sorry JP). At times its seems Heartland goes out of its way to upset us victums & rub more salt in our wounds. We did not get what we paid for or the repairs we where promised, and then they can't even get us the right parts to do our own repairs. Of course Heartland loves to have us do our own repairs becasue it saves them hassel, and $80.00+ per hour. Hey really do love me!
It was yesterday that a nosey owner annouced on the forum that the factory never installed a dirt cover on the wheel hub to protect the wheel bearing, that was hidden under the hub cap, at lease the factory installed the cotter pin. This is a very bad thing, oh manybe that person should not have announced the problem and made Heartland look good. How many of you can trust your dealer or Heartland to find serious problems like that? Oh, but some of you still lead the Cheers hoping that Heartland will find these serious problems for you, before you break down on the road or you trailer burns up along the road.
I think the big Problem with Heartland, is they are too busy developing new models, pushing production #'s, making promises that they can't keep, and running in circles putting out fires in the units, without Quantity Control. David and Randy are so busy putting out fires, they can't keep up with the new ones.
A common reply to problems, is "call David Parton at Service".
Will, I beleive that we need more fire fighters for now that are compident to get through this mess of fires, until Heartland decides that Qualtity is Job #1, output second. The only QC inpectors that Heartland needs are people from outside the local RV industry, who are gaven the authority to shut the lines down and get things done right, not good old boys that will let things slide to met production schedules, and do business a usual the good old Elkart RV Way. Heartland should build only the #'s that they can build right, and we will getting units that live up to their advertishing. I know, exactly what is going on at Heartland because I too was once stuck in the middle, at a new company putting out fires at the end of the line building 8 Modular Homes a day in the earily 70's.
Lets see if Heartland is up to the Challange or only focuses its fire exstingers on this post and putting out fires, many of which flair up later.

bowtorc

Joe

You bet that it is an invitation! You may have had a problem with a dealer but we have always had great luck when dealing with Heartland or our dealer and feel that you will be taken care of to your satisfaction. We always like to see all rv enthusiasts enjoying their units. This is not a paid commercial but after buying our rig from Coleman Country Campers and having used it for a year, we still feel that it is the best of the 9 rigs we have owned and we have had some good ones. Our dealer and Heartland have made our last year of rving great. I am truly sorry that you are having problems .

Roger

lesjoy

escalating problems

We took possession of our 2007 3055rl Bighorn on June 23rd. Since then we have documented over 30 deficeinces in fit and finish in our unit, some from
poor assembly, careless workmanship, and poor quality materials. In less than
2 months use we have trim pulling off the slide out , non stop leaks from the
shower and many more concerns. Our biggest problem occured while returning home from a trip to the Oregon coast. On our last day while pulling out of our last nite stop the front axle snapped off approx 2" from the wheel. Needless to say we were somewhat surprised since the unit has less than 3000 miles on it
since purchase. Fortunately we were only 200 miles from home at the time but did have to abandon it at a RV dealership. We are happy that this did not occur 30 minutes later while we would have been travelling through a mountain pass on our way home.At this time we are waiting to meet with the selling dealership re repalcement or cancellation of our purchase.