Honda EU300 and the sundance underbelly

argyll1st

Hi all, does anybody know it there is a mounting spot for a generator on the Sundance 3300RLB I have been looking at a honda EU3000is remote starting generator, the problem is I dont know if it will fit, the hieght is 24 inches, would it fit in the front locker ? has anyone fitted one on the sundance ?

Last edited:

jnbhobe

The Honda 3000 is a great generator but you don't want to put it in a compartment, no way to vent the fumes. I built a rack for the back of the coach and carry my Honda on the back. It is bolted and chained to the RV. WFM. Jon :cool:

argyll1st

I was going to put a slider in if it fitted, so I could maybe open the side locker and slide it out into the fresh air , at least that was the idea ?

jnbhobe

I can tell you the 3000 is 22 1/2" high 26" deep and about 19" wide. All you need to worry about then is the wind blowing in the open compartment. Jon

argyll1st

I had thought about knocking up some kind of heat resistant flexi pipe that i could use as an exhaust extender and send the fumes either down and under or up and away ?

argyll1st

I see what you mean, maybe I could bolt it onto the pickup bed, I have a lock& Roll cover so it could sit in there, back ti the drawing board !

jnbhobe

Boy I'm not much help to you argyll1st, at 22 1/2" high I don't think it will fit under a roll & lock cover. I had a rolltop and it wouldn't fit. Maybe you could take off the cross legs and just use the rubber feet. Or look at the 3000 handi at 19 1/2" H Jon

Yianni

When I had a Honda 3000 for my old trailer it would not fit under the roll n loc. The gas cap and filler neck extend above the cover. I chained mine into the truck bed and closed the cover up to it.
I just sold mine on Craigs list since my Cyclone has a built in.
I did build a box for mine that I had on a hitch on the back of the trailer. I'll try to find the pics.

Paul_in_MN

I carry my 3000 Honda right behind the cab window in the box where it is chained to one of the box tie downs. I have a roll cover that flexes just enough to easily go over the generator. At first I didn't think it would fit, but my son has the same roll cover and has flexed his over the protruding handlebars of bicycles etc. With his experience, I was brave enough to do the same with the Honda. It has a very large diameter gas cap as the highest feature and the gentle curvature of the cap is no problem for the fabric bed cover. When I am towing, I need to keep the cover fully rolled up (wish that was different), but when the truck is unhooked from the trailer, I close the cover just to keep out dew and moisture (and prying eyes in certain "bad" areas. Of course the cover must be retracted when the generator is running. As the big trailer cord is not long enough to go fully to the truck, I use a stout (10 gauge?) 120V extension cord and an adaptor from the generator to the trailer's cord. The 3000 Honda does not make 220V available.

Paul_in_MN

Yianni

Here are the pictures of the box I built. It was chained to the trailer frame and the carrying basket. I left the Honda in there all the time and just opened the box to run it. Later I modified the box with a vent fan so I ran it with the box closed. That was a fun project.DSC00442 (resized&#41.jpgDSC00445 (resized&#41.jpgDSC00448 (resized&#41.jpgDSC00444 (resized&#41.jpgDSC00446 (resized&#41.jpgDSC00443 (resized&#41.jpg

argyll1st

that is one nice piece of work,,,,,,,,,,,,, i like the box, you could sell that for good money, so maybe the 3000 handi is the better option.

RollingHome

I saw a setup last year that was great. This guy put 2 Honda EU 2000's on the back of his unit in a "nice Looking" locked wire cage (chain link fence) but it looked decent, which the gens ran fine in. He could run either one and did often. Honda sells an optional cable that allows you to parallel 2 generators for twice the output, (it just plugs in) - when you need it i.e. running the AC unit, etc. In fact you can get the 2000 watt unit (20 amps) with a 30 amp (3000 watt) receptacle - for trailers :). These are 2 different gensets, one is called a companion for just this purpose. He also told me he usually just runs one gen for the coffee pot or charging the batteries. Icing on the cake is the 3000 weighs 144 pounds and is a bear to man handle (ask my back). The 2000 watt unit/s weigh 48 & 52 pounds each... a more reasonable weight. The 2000 units will easily fit under a tonneau cover and total weight is less then one 3000 gen. The difference in price is about $200.00. I would keep gasoline fumes in mind for any dead air space. Also, when did Honda start producing the EU3000 with remote start ? I have one and I would love to add this upgrade if possible.

argyll1st

The remote is an aftermarket add on, I think its $200 If you google "honda eu3000 remote starter" it gives you some option, The question I would like someone to answer is, Is there a space for a geni in the sundance 3300RlB 5th wheel, like an Onan or something.

Regards