Considering several TH for next year...3850 what are you pulling with?

serpa4

I love the Cyclone 3850 by far at 13,865 dry! 18,000 GVWR. Good tv viewing, dual fridge, dual bath, 2x black of most others, etc. I'm coming from a truck camper, so everything is a huge bonus.
I guess about 1,000 for water, 250 gas, 1000 packing (food/cloths/chairs/riding gear), 1,800 w/3 atv = 4,500 lbs of junk. 13,865+4,500=18,365 and it's also over the 3850's rated 18,000 to boot.
Next would be the Fuzion 400 at 13,000 dry. 18,000 GVWR
Then the Open Range 397 at 12,000 dry and 17,690.

The only one that will be within my truck's ratings is the OR 397. Less water 800lbs/250gas/1000 pack/1800 toys=15,850.
What is everyone using to pull the 3850? It's over my 07 GMC 3500 CC/LB/DRW D/A combo by a lot.
My truck is spec'd at 23,500 GVWR
Tow rating is 16,000 according to the owner's manual
And I can put 3,400 in the bed since the truck weighs 8,000 loaded with passengers. Not really concerned with pin weight though as I used to carry a 5,000 lb truck camper in the bed. I didn't like all that weight and it did bend my factory springs even with a 5 pack of aftermarket overload springs. I'd like to not exceed the rated 3,400 this go around since I put factory springs back in and the single factory overload spring.

What is needed F450/F550? I use my truck as a daily driver, so larger rig will not be considered.
I live at 6,500 ft altitude in Colorado and only go up from there so 99% will be in the steep mountains. I'll never see flat land to tow.

mdhill

I have a 3850 and pull with a Dodge dually. Works fine. I think any of the 350/dually with diesel will work fine. A true engine brake is really nice in the mountains.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Serpa4, you might consider waiting and looking at the 2011 Chevy 1tn. It has a GCVW of 27500. It has a weight rating of 20K for a 5th wheel. Thats all within your specs. It also has a built in engine/exhaust brake plus the trans brake. There is a spec sheet on the forum, just can't find it right now. Bob

trvlrerik

I have an 09 3912 with similar weights as you do, I am pulling with an 08 F350 srw (23,000 GCWR). I usually am right around that weight. I am cautious about liquid weights by traveling dry whenever possible. Having a garage to load into also helps by counter balancing the trailer lowering the pin weight. I do have Firestone ride-rite airbags installed to level out when pulling.

I think a lot of people on this forum have 1 ton trucks to pull there 18k trailers with success. I also use my truck as a daily driver, and work truck, so it is the best fit for my situation. I do sometimes go over my gross combined weight limit, I understand the risks, and I use extra caution. In my opinion, it is not pulling or carrying the weight that is the major issue, it is the limitations of the brake system on the truck. This is why I check my trailer brakes before every trip. I just try to stay as light as possible.

I have found that you can get water at many city fire departments (they have a public fill station). I will also fuel up gasoline close to my final destination. I typically stop at a Flying J as you can get gas and diesel at the same rv friendly pump. Walmart is also a last stop to buy canned foods and other perishables. The entire family is part of my traveling light plans, it is sort of a family game in trading weight allotments in packing.

rtataryn

I'd personally go with a 450 dually. Considering your altitude in CO and the loads you've described, you want to go with a big gun. And remember, it's not always about how much you can pull, but how much you can stop - especially in the mountains.

Another thing: I also highly recommend traveling dry - up to or near my final destination. It not only cuts down on weight, but on "sloshing weight". The back and forth and up and down active 800 lb load on the tanks and supports during every corner and bump of your journey. It is really pointless and unnecessary in most trip scenarios. And between water and gas you'll knock 1000 pounds off your numbers right there.

Rod

rtataryn

I love the Cyclone 3850 by far at 13,865 dry! 18,000 GVWR. Good tv viewing, dual fridge, dual bath, 2x black of most others, etc. I'm coming from a truck camper, so everything is a huge bonus.
I guess about 1,000 for water, 250 gas, 1000 packing (food/cloths/chairs/riding gear), 1,800 w/3 atv = 4,500 lbs of junk. 13,865+4,500=18,365 and it's also over the 3850's rated 18,000 to boot.

The only one that will be within my truck's ratings is the OR 397. Less water 800lbs/250gas/1000 pack/1800 toys=15,850.
What is everyone using to pull the 3850? It's over my 07 GMC 3500 CC/LB/DRW D/A combo by a lot.
And I can put 3,400 in the bed since the truck weighs 8,000 loaded with passengers. Not really concerned with pin weight though as I used to carry a 5,000 lb truck camper in the bed. I didn't like all that weight and it did bend my factory springs even with a 5 pack of aftermarket overload springs. I'd like to not exceed the rated 3,400 this go around since I put factory springs back in and the single factory overload spring.

What is needed F450/F550? I use my truck as a daily driver, so larger rig will not be considered.
I live at 6,500 ft altitude in Colorado and only go up from there so 99% will be in the steep mountains. I'll never see flat land to tow.

When comparing GVWR's, be sure to look into how they rate their units.

The Cyclone rates the GVWR based on axle's only. 18,000 lbs on three 6000 lb axles. They don't count pin weight. The Open Range has three 5,200 lb axles giving 15,600 lb axle rating, but then they add the pin weight load of 1920 lbs to get a total GVWR of 17,520 lbs. If Cyclone rated their rigs this way, they'd be over 21,000 lbs GVWR.

Rod

serpa4

So what does that mean to me? Please explain? I come from truck campers, so an RV with axles is new to me.

crazybanshee

Rtataryn I have to disagree with your comments. GVWR is total weight of the trailer including axle and pin weight. If you check the pin box it is rated for 18,000lbs. On older units that have a 18,000 GVWR and has three 5,200lb axles that is 15,000lbs on the axles and 3,000lbs pin weight.
Doug

Manke3010

I'll let Rod settle this once and for all, as he informed me of this last year when I was considering a Fuzion 302 vs. the Cyclone 3010.
Crazybanshee, given your example, I get what you're saying about the older axles at 5,200 (15,600)with the pin weight (2,400) equaling 18k gvwr, but what about the new rigs that have triple 6k axles. That equals 18,000 before we even talk about pin weight, so if your example is correct, then we'd have to add pin weight to these newer models which would then put gvwr well over 20k which in fact it isn't.

With my rig, I have dual 7k axles, and my gvwr is 14k. The same layout/length Fuzion had dual 6k axles, and the gwvr is like 14,400, so they were obviously adding pin weight with the Fuzion and not my Cyclone. This is how Rod explained it to me....we'll see what he chimes in with, but I think this is correct :)

rtataryn

That's correct Manke. The Cyclone 3850 has three 6K axles. That's how Cyclone arrives at their 18K GVWR. They don't add or consider the weight carried by the king pin in the GVWR. Other manufacturers add the weight that the king pin carries to the combined weight rating of the axles to arrive at a GVWR. Cyclone's measurement is more conservative. The reason they do this . . . and should with Toy Haulers . . . is because the pin weight will change dramatically from a loaded to unloaded garage. It is much safer if a manufacturer excludes pin weight in determining the GVWR of a Toy Hauler. But, many don't.

What everyone needs to look at, is not what is written on the sticker for GVWR, but rather what are the axles rated at. That's all that really matters. Unless you get pulled over by the weight police, then all they care about is what the sticker says.

Rod

smday

When i was doing all my research last year i finally went to the DOT where i live and asked the question becuase i had a 2500 duramax. When they are checking out our rigs the first thing they look at is the Tire ratings after they weigh you. If you buy the cheapo tires with little ratings and pulling a big rig you will get fined if your over the the tire ratings and your rig will sit there until you get new tires. Reason being the tires will blow first and cause more accidents before any axle will break from the weight. He also said the sticker is more like a warranty thing from the manufacture so they can void it if your over. One thing i did see is that when i went to dealers looking at trucks i only found one F450 and 10 F350/3500's DRW on the lots out of 7 dealers. If the DOT where worried about weights i would think more dealers would have more 450/4500 and up on their lots to pull all these heavy GVW trailers. For my area within 50 sq miles it was 1 truck to about 200 trailers at the 18,000 lbs GVW. So I finally settled with the 3500 DRW and when i picked up the new 3850 and drove it back 1700 miles it drove like a dream. I barely knew it was behind me. I also had upgraded my axles to 3 X 7000 lbs and added 8000 lb disc brakes which made the stopping so much nicer knowing that all brakes are being applied at the same time and not wondering it one drum brake is off a bit and not doing anything because it wasn't set up right. But i sure would of bought the new 2011 if i would have known they were going to be equipped like that now.

smday

If you pick the 3850 you will love it. We got rid of the theater seats and mini fridge and added more cabinet space. As we dry camp alot we required more storage space for food and this was the only trailer that could offer us that much storage. We also looked at the fuzion and open range and i am sure glad we settle on the Cyclone. Good luck with your choice.

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Do your research on-line, you will quickly find out like I did that the Ford F-450 is a lemon...........stay clear, well clear. I would go with a GM or Dodge, 1 ton single wheel unless you want the extra insurance of the the dual rear wheel. I am sure some will disagree but this is just my oppinion and I have hauled many miles..........

shriver63

Do your research on-line, you will quickly find out like I did that the Ford F-450 is a lemon...........stay clear, well clear. I would go with a GM or Dodge, 1 ton single wheel unless you want the extra insurance of the the dual rear wheel. I am sure some will disagree but this is just my oppinion and I have hauled many miles..........

I'll be nice and leave this one alone

truknutt

Committed Member

So you found the elusive bad one! Now that we know it's been located others can feel more comfortable with their purchases! :D:rolleyes: