What gauges to use

I am looking at getting one of those post gauges setup for my Dodge. I allowes for 3 gauges. I am getting the Trans temp gauge, but what other 2 should I get? The Dodge comes with the Battery gauge, fuel, water temp, oil pressure. Thanks for the help.

beardedone

Beardedone
Another option that I opted for was the Edge Insight which is a digital readout with a wide range of items it can monitor. You have something like 29 things to select from. It is not a programmer. The insight simply plugs into your obd port and gives you a lot of info. For your pyro (EGT) you have to have the probe installed. I am happy with mine.

SilverRhino

Al & Donna Larson
2005 Dodge 2500 diesel
Airbags, Jake brake, Pressure Pro
2009 3370RL Mor-ryde hitch
2009 rally in Goshen

Noticed that in your sig that you say you have a "jake brake"...do you mean an exhaust brake??

Not aware of a Cummins engine in a pickup with that set up....would love to have one though!

Last edited:

ricatic

I too have the Edge Insight monitor. I am very pleased with it. I considered individual gauges but to monitor more than 3 systems cost more than the Edge. I bought mine from Thoroughbred Diesel with an EGT probe and a dash pod for just over $400.

Ricatic

Riverman

Problem is that the warranty is gone as soon as a programmer / monitor is plugged in. So not worth it.

RollingHome

Al, The Edge unit is a great digital gauge. Another one is Bully Dog and available from alligatorperformance.com Like the Edge, the Bully Dog is not a programmer - it is a monitor... You can look, but you cannot touch :). Both these digital gauges come with a cable which simply plugs into your OBD II port. The Bully Dog allows you to review trouble codes and I believe clear them too (not positive), I don't know if the Edge does this or not. Both of these products will give you what you what. Both of them use onboard OEM engine transducers and sensors, so installation is not difficult. I believe the Edge unit is a stand alone unit, in other words it has it's own housing. The Bully Dog requires you to purchase a A-Pillar mount and paint it to match your truck. All this being said, I still think the tri pod A-Pillar analog round "steam" gauges just look plain neat ! However, as has been stated, the digital units give you way more data to keep you occupied while Donna naps on those long trips. Try Auto-Zone for the Edge they sell them too. Hope this helps.

skyguy

Like my signature says, I went with ISSPRO guages, based on response from the DieselStop forum. There are cheaper, but these will last forever.

The boost gauge merely tells you how hard you are being pushed back in your seat (when NOT towing). But it also tells you when you are consuming fuel. No boost means driving using little fuel. My transmission guage mounted in a test point in the transmission. I had my BIL, a machinist, come and drill and tap the hole for the Exhaust Gas - that was a little trickier than I wanted to do. I could have bought matching paint for the pillar but it was maybe 10 bucks. I got a pretty close match at Wally World $2. The entire job took me 1/2 day, plus a couple hours for the BIL's work. (That cost me a couple beers.)

I was surprised at how hot the Exhaust gasses get, and how warm the tranny will get on an extended run during the summer. Well worth having the guages!

SilverRhino

Al;

I was hoping that you had the latest Cummins "Mod" on your truck...I too would really love to have a "Jake Brake" on my truck...would even settle for a single level!

Oh well.....just have to wait until I upgrade to the Med Duty or the Pete!

Travel Safe!

Peteandsharon

I also have the Edge Insight. It is self mounting so no pillar mount is necessary. Sits nicely in the upper left corner of my dash. I especially like the fact that it plugs right into the ODBO port and for some trucks, at least, does not require any drilling for EGT. I love this. You even have the option of various EGT readings based on sensors in varying places. I picked the hottest because I assumed this was the reading right at the exhaust manifold which is where I drilled on a previous truck. After playing with several displays I settled on coolant temp, tranny temp, EGT and a measure called tranny slip. It measures RPMs on both sides of the torque convertor the net difference in RPM's. It goes to zero when the torque convertor locks up. Good to know at times.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hey Pete,

Not to steal the thread but on your Insight, do you have to disconnect and reconnect to the OBDII each time you start the truck? I sent a query to Edge but never received a response. Just wondering.

Sorry all,

Dave

ricatic

No, you just leave it plugged in. On my 04 Ford you can only see 2 inches of the data cable but that is behind the dash pod I bought. I am very pleased with it. It will read and clear most codes. I do not use it for that because I have the AutoEnginuity software package. It does so much more than any of the dash monitors.

05Winger

I would recommend the pryro and the turbo boost gage. I had those on my Excursion diesel and felt they gave me the most information.